California Road Trip (Coast and Sierras)

Occidental

Trail Master
We recently got back from a 17 day 2450 mile road trip down the California Coast from the redwoods through Big Sur, then back north through Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks with the Four Wheel Camper. It takes a while to sort through a thousand photos, but I've got two parts of the trip posted so far, hoping to finish it up with 3 or 4 more installments over the weekend.

Take a look if you're interested:
http://www.occidentalist.org/california-road-trip-2016-part-1/

http://www.occidentalist.org/california-road-trip-2016-part-2/

I'll update this as I get to more installments.

Nice trip.We first went to the Mattole area in 1981 and stayed at the county campground near Potrolia.
It was a very interesting area. Drove the road into Ferndale and back.
I don't think the "growers" were doing their thing as much in those days as now.
Haven't driven the road south to Shelter Cove though.

Great start of a trip.
Waiting for more of the report.
Frank

Needle Rock looks great. Love the coastal views. Looking forward to following along the rest of the trip.

Great TR. Looks like a fun time. I'm ready for the next part. Thanks for posting. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

Black sands beach, wish I'd made it there in time. Very much enjoying your trip report.

The usal road seasonal closure must be new. Its always been a given, don't drive it when wet but I never knew of a closure. That parking lot campground, I stayed at once, unfortunately. If only I'd realized how close MacKerricher was :(

You did pick up some bacon next to the brewery I hope?

Looking forward to the next segment!

Bear Harbor and Needle Rock are very special places, also Shelter Cove area is awesome. I was raised in that area, and go back often.

Boy that was good; have not beenback there in a couple of years and now I have to go back to the Lost Coast soon-real soon! Spent allot of time in that area over the years and it was sure nice to see it again through your posts! Yep it is a trip back in time, allot of those people are still living in the 60's! And yes-when it rains the Ursal Road can be fun and most of the roads in that area are i think designed to limit access to the area. Thanks again!

Smoke

We originally planned to ignore the signs and see how it went on Usal. The rain changed our minds. Ending up at Needle Rock made for a good substitute.

The next post, the last of our run along the coast is up. http://www.occidentalist.org/california-road-trip-2016-part-5/

We left the coast after Big Sur and headed to Sequoia and Yosemite National Parks on our way back north and home. I'll get that finished up in the next few days.

I enjoyed looking at your part 5,through our home area.
Few people seem to know including myself about the city camp in Monterey.
I had a friend from Minnesota tell us about it.
Great shots of Point Lobos ,that is about our favorite spot for walking.We go there at least once a month.
And the campground at San Simeon another great spot.Nice and dark there to view the sky.
Thanks for posting your trip.
Frank

I'm thoroughly enjoying reading your trip report. And thanks for the introduction to the Lost Coast. I didn't know that such an isolated coast existed in California. It is now on my todo list for some day.

I occidentaly stumbled on this fabulous trip report, I love it. We've been to Gold Bluffs, one of the best camp grounds/spot we've been. Were supposed to hit the Lost Coast but changed plans. I now see what we missed. Congrats on a wonderful trip and TR, great pictures all. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Back
Top Bottom