Camera for a newbie

iowahiker said:
My camera priorities are different than the OP, but my choice could meet the OP's needs. The Panasonic ZS100 is under $500, has a large sensor, and MANY features. I chose the ZS100 for the sensor size and weight, around 9 ounces, so I can carry it on my belt while hiking. The lens is not the best in it's class because of the 10x zoom which we wanted for bird identification during hikes since we do not carry binoculars. The same large sensor comes in other light cameras with a better lens and zoom below 3x but they also cost more. The ZS100 is a one of a kind camera if you want to step up into photography in a light small camera for under $500 while the various 3x large sensor cameras would produce better pictures at around $700 at the same weight. Most of my favorite pictures are large scale landscapes and so I wanted the next size up sensor from "small" to capture more detail and color.
This is probably the camera for me. Thanks for the information, I’m going to check out this line of cameras.
Wayne

Thanks to all the members for your camera recommendations. I finally decided for now to upgrade to the IPhone 11. I have been learning the basics of all the new functions. It’s a little different on basic functions than my old 7. The phone is bigger and heavier also. The camera has three lenses and a ton of options to play with. Probably going to take a while to dial using all the options. Looking forward taking pics and learning all the phone can do. I plan on purchasing a mini tripod and holder for general use. Any recommendations on these items would be appreciated.
Thanks all Wayne
84-F48-EA7-F237-4164-AAD6-00141-C824-C8-C.jpg

959-D54-D2-6756-49-E3-B428-B77-F672-AF9-F7.jpg

9-B293-F76-8-D36-4264-92-A8-B507-E2916-C13.png

First pics.

Congratulations on your decision! I really appreciate the weight of my Iphone in the backcountry!

Attachments

• doublerainbow - 1.jpg
    doublerainbow - 1.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 44
Well I received a early birthday surprise from Carol. She consulted with our brother in law on a camera purchase. Ron is a great tech guy and experienced photographer. He suggested this kit based on our needs and cost. I’m going to dive into the manual in the am and start experimenting with the camera. This is a big upgrade from my current iPhone 11 for taking photos. I like it’s compact size and that interchangeable lenses can be purchased for other needs. Anyway is was a great surprise and now I have a serious photography tool. Thanks again to all the members that gave input and recommendations.
Wayne
6-ADCDF80-DF14-42-FE-8844-9-F70-A160-DA3-F.jpg

You have now opted to take the "Red Pill" (see The Matrix). Your photography has been pretty darn good -- but now it will take a frustrating nosedive for several months before slowly climbing back to where you were with the I-phone. But after that it is all bittersweet improvement. Enjoy the journey Neo! I think the eventual rewards are worth it!

WjColdWater said:
Yes model CX6000
Nice, Sony makes good gear. My Nikons use their sensors. I think you’ll have a lot of fun. If you don’t have a photo editor, that would be something to consider. Adobe Photoshop Elements might be a good possibility. Editing is the digital equivalent of having your own darkroom. Looks like Elements is on sale ($70) through the end of May.

The learning curve, though somewhat steep is rapidly learned with digital cameras.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Nice, Sony makes good gear. My Nikons use their sensors. I think you’ll have a lot of fun. If you don’t have a photo editor, that would be something to consider. Adobe Photoshop Elements might be a good possibility. Editing is the digital equivalent of having your own darkroom. Looks like Elements is on sale ($70) through the end of May.

The learning curve, though somewhat steep is rapidly learned with digital cameras.
Sage, thanks for the additional information on the the editing program. I’m going to read the manual tonight and start experimenting.

WjColdWater, congrats on your new camera outfit! Enjoy the learning curve and remember to always keep it fun. You will have fun, lots of fun. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Wayne that's a nice compact camera.
It looks about the size of my Nikon A1000.
Mine is a "point and shoot" though.
Frank
ski3pin said:
WjColdWater, congrats on your new camera outfit! Enjoy the learning curve and remember to always keep it fun. You will have fun, lots of fun. :)
Thanks! Learning curve lesson at six feet away with the brother in law today. :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Wayne that's a nice compact camera.
It looks about the size of my Nikon A1000.
Mine is a "point and shoot" though.
Frank
Thanks, I like the compact size. Day one experimenting today. :cool:

First experimenting with the new camera.
F9-FEFCEF-EFD5-45-EB-99-DB-A2-E843-B21-A78.png

BE1-CBA2-B-FAFD-4617-8-E26-8-CE7-FFD00-C6-A.jpg

BF9-C3-B9-B-605-E-4797-9-A4-F-8-C6-AA0-C721-DC.jpg

5-E2-CCAE1-E274-4-D27-8715-722-EFAEA24-D7.jpg

CBEACB1-B-AD7-C-433-B-9608-237667173-CBB.jpg

7-FD13-E61-4-C24-4-AAA-BE81-F7-D7-D6-BFEF72.jpg

70854912-1925-4452-879-D-D2563-CEF9-AA5.jpg

E6838451-5-B37-4-E87-A64-F-1591-A2-AB9-FC7.jpg

20-F8-F62-A-5-BAF-4920-9932-717-ABD2-CFE11.jpg

All shot on the setting (Intelligent Auto). Still in the early learning stage but, seems like this is a newbie friendly camera. My favorite pic is the Brown Thrasher chicks. What do you all think of the overall quality?

Looks good. Nice dynamic range. The shot of the pup is a good example.

i prefer to shoot in Aperture Priority so I can get the depth of field I’m looking for. For moving objects, you can boost the ISO to get a shutter speed that is high enough to eliminate blur. I suspect you can set your Sony to do that automagically.

Back
Top Bottom