Camper Install by Crane

Since I have a high garage ceiling I have toyed with the idea to use 2 spreader bars, one across(east to west) the front of the camper roof and the same setup for the back. Drop cables straight down from the bars to the jack plates, use 2 1 ton chain hoists, one mounted above the fwd bar and one above the rear bar. You would be aligned correctly for the design of the jacks so there would be no side loading. If using one hoist point tie both spreader bars together(north to south) with another spreader.

Camper install by Crane is now IN SERVICE!

After a few attempts, I have a safe way to hoist up the camper for install.

Here's what I did:
1. Attached 2000 lb ratchet straps to the corner brackets
Had to slightly widen the original bracket hole for the bolt - but only by a small diameter change

gallery_4097_964_1663740.jpeg

2. Attach ratchet straps to the crane

gallery_4097_964_1127650.jpeg

3. Begin hoisting (while holding my breath)

gallery_4097_964_1775244.jpeg

gallery_4097_964_1233502.jpeg

A spreader bar would have also been a great option and one I still might consider.
But lifting it this way appears to work well and will be much faster for me.
Just roll my camper to the right spot, pick it up, pull the truck over to it, drop it in and unhook the straps.

This will definitely save me some time and effort from the camper jack approach.

DrJ,

Outstanding photo essay.

Would that I could use the hoists...but alas I do not have a massive I-Beam or for that matter any I-Beam. :giggle: Nor the space to construct a freestanding I-Beam structure.

For us mere mortals with stick construction garages or shops, I doubt the trusses would hold the weight of a Hawk. Wish they could!

Phil

Looks great! Nice shop for sure. You might add spreaders to the straps so that the load is applied to the brackets in only a vertical direction. It might be ok but the way you have it now puts a torque on the brackets that I'm not sure they are designed to take. Way to think out of the box. Unfortunately I will still be cranking jacks in my driveway, haha.

Speaking of 'crank up jacks' ...does anyone use a cordless drill to crank up the jacks? Pros/cons? I know FWC comes with the bit that fits the jacks.

Thanks..Phil

ski3pin said:
I didn't want to be the first to mention it, but I do too.
+2 nice shop!

Wallowa said:
Speaking of 'crank up jacks' ...does anyone use a cordless drill to crank up the jacks? Pros/cons? I know FWC comes with the bit that fits the jacks.

Thanks..Phil
Phil, I sometimes use the drill. Caution, don't retract it all the way if your drill isn't clutched. I jammed a stabilizer on our trailer using a drill.

My wife and I work in Tandom with hand cranks. Don't feel like buying a second drill. I use the power drill to raise the legs once loaded and to lower the legs when we unload. Hand crank to raise and lower camper on and off storage. We do 10 cranks on the front and 10 on the back, etc. When we picked up the camper the dealer had 2 power drills and we worked together

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

Thanks for all of your support, comments and help on this.

I do think that takesiteasy has a great suggestion on using a spreader bar.

I do worry about putting too much stress on the jack brackets.
I'll post something new when I get that part solved.
However, I do think lifting up your camper by crane is quite doable with the right equipment.

I just bolted a horizontal angle iron to my brackets with two bolts to each bracket. Two bolts should stop twist forces.
Then I lifted on my bracket at the third (center, higher) hole. Your brackets are different, but shouldn't be difficult to stop the twisting forces by using an angle iron as a spreader bar/anti-torque bar.
It might be overkill, but, a little prevention is worth a lot of fixing.
I do like your shop.
Happy engineering.

Have been following this thread. Lots to think about.
Will be starting basic design talks in the coming months for a new flatbed model. Truck has been purchased, flatbed has been sourced and will be installed in late Jan/16 or early Feb/16.
Getting it on and off of truck will be a challenge. Camper i have now sits on a dolly in garage, roll into position, atach jacks, lift, back truck under etc and pull out of garage. Not an option with new truck and soon to be new camper as garage doors (8ft) will be too short.
Driveway has slope in two angles, so a portable gantry may be the answer. Going to be interesting.
Happy Holidays!

Back
Top Bottom