Camper overhang 'deflection' with regards to the truck roof

gaylon

Hi there. I am playing with ideas on how to use the 5 inches or so of space between the roof of my truck and the camper overhang. Question - any guidance on how much the camper overhang deflects towards the truck roof while driving over various terrain? The truck is a 2016 Toyota Tundra with airbags and a heavy duty suspension. Camper is a loaded 2016 Hawk.

There are a lot of topics about this but not sure of what to suggest you search for but the ideas that I remember seeing were related to storage:
a) storage of tables and/or chairs
b) storage of solar panels
c) storage in general

People have done good, creative solutions.

One thing to consider though is that on top of many trucks, there are satellite/radio "fin" antennas so factor that in too.

I also have a Tundra and decided to use that space for storage of a table.
Took a standard Costco (approx 2’ x4’) table down to my local metal bender and we bent some 18 gauge stainless into Z shape.
Then notched it to bend creating a back stop.
We slide it in from the drivers side and strap it in place. I add a couple wedges to insure it doesn’t rattle.
Works great, used it several times during our month long trip when dry camping.

Attachments

• 08DEB024-52A1-4CEA-8015-4B63F1303437.jpeg
    08DEB024-52A1-4CEA-8015-4B63F1303437.jpeg
    39.8 KB · Views: 260
  • 6979F5BB-A087-444E-B5D5-45BAC0EF1D24.jpeg
    6979F5BB-A087-444E-B5D5-45BAC0EF1D24.jpeg
    37.3 KB · Views: 275
Clever use of space we all have to one degree or another.

We have used one of those soft side roof bags on top of the truck cab to carry soft items, PFDs and the like....

Just needs to be strapped well.

David Graves

I built a rack for Trax and a remote solar panel. I used aluminum c channel so 2 trax slide in. Just so happens that c channel was wide enough for a panel too. Both slide in from driver side.

Pics?

knoxswift said:
I built a rack for Trax and a remote solar panel. I used aluminum c channel so 2 trax slide in. Just so happens that c channel was wide enough for a panel too. Both slide in from driver side.

These are the only pictures I have on my phone right now. You can see it tucked in the back. I can take pictures over the weekend if you like.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531191901195.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531191901195.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 221
Second picture was too big.
Here's a picture you can see where it is in relation to the truck.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1531192794266.jpg
    FB_IMG_1531192794266.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 212
Here are some pictures. I do not own a welder that can do aluminum but you can make it look a lot nicer if you have an aluminum welder. This fits 2 Trax. The one I'm building now fits my Second Solar Panel and will be in front of these Trax. I went for solar panel than more Trax because 2 have seemed to be enough for me...you could not go more than 2 in width or you'll hit the roof of the truck.

20180714_072011_resized.jpg
20180714_072032_resized.jpg

Nice work knoxswift... I had made a box that had my slide in solar panel ..but since changed that. Have the trax on the roof in a small similar rack across the Yakima tracks... feels less tempting to thieves out of sight. I would like to do similar though to yours with the Pax full cans (3). I have seen this set up on a fuel can thread. Always a new idea to keep the mods flowing! Thanks for the photos.

buckland said:
Nice work knoxswift... I had made a box that had my slide in solar panel ..but since changed that. Have the trax on the roof in a small similar rack across the Yakima tracks... feels less tempting to thieves out of sight. I would like to do similar though to yours with the Pax full cans (3). I have seen this set up on a fuel can thread. Always a new idea to keep the mods flowing! Thanks for the photos.
Trax work well there and solar panel because both are used infrequently.
Fuel cans my only concern would be an accident, what if that thing went sliding across the hood, LOL!

It's easy to make simple wooden wind deflectors. I believe they increase my gas mileage but really don't know for sure. I will modify it so I can store my solar panel in there, next time the camper is off

Back
Top Bottom