Camper Plugged in with Fridge Running?

Ramblinman

Does anyone leave their camper plugged in with the fridge running while not in use?

This is handy but I am wondering if I am doing any harm over the long run?

Why Leave It On Of You Aren't Using It? I Turn My Fridge On One Day Prior To Use By Plugging It In To 110V. Then Switch Over To Gas... Darn Phone Is Capping All My Words.

Do You Leave Your Car Running All Night? Or The Vacuum Cleaner? (Being Facetious.)

A lot of my friends plug in their camper (and refrig) prior to heading out to pre-cool it. The propane setting is quite efficient too but I'm with others, I don't think I'd leave it on when not in use.

I would wonder about the life span of the heating element over prolonged use. Were it a 2-way compressor fridge I'd still wonder about the life span of the compressor. They're made to last years of intermittent use unlike the house fridge which is made to last for years of constant use.

Like others, I plug in and cool down with shore power a day or two before leaving.

You Can Ruin A Battery That Way. Recommend Charging It With 3 Phase Smart Charger Monthly. (Assuming You Don't Use Camper In Winter Like Many Of Us Do)

KILR0Y said:
Why Leave It On Of You Aren't Using It? I Turn My Fridge On One Day Prior To Use By Plugging It In To 110V. Then Switch Over To Gas... Darn Phone Is Capping All My Words.

Do You Leave Your Car Running All Night? Or The Vacuum Cleaner? (Being Facetious.)
That's how I do it-everything off untill a day or so before :cautious: !

Smoke

Be Sure And Continue To Monitor What Others Are Saying, I'm Just One Person! Who Gave My .02 Worth, Others May Do Something Different.

Those who have a solar panel that sees enough of the sun in the winter, I would think, would not need to charge the battery. Those who keep the camper on the truck and drive the truck fairly often (this would probably include me) should also be OK. I am sure that many owners hit the master 12 volt power switch if they were not going to use the camper for an extended period of time. In my Hawk, this would disconnect everything including(?) the Propane / Carbon Monoxide sensor, which draws about 40 milliamps and could drain your battery during the winter months. I also added the remote control option to my fan, which also draws about 50 milliamps.

I still monitor my FWC battery voltage often.

Steve

If you leave Frig on when stored, remove the positive battery terminal. to keep camper battery from overcharging.

When storing old motorhome I kept it plugged in to run a 60 watt light bulb in a table lamp in winter to reduce condensation and propped the door of the fridge open to remove stale air.

I'll be the test case. I leave my TF running constantly. Stocked with beer too just in case I get a chance to get away suddenly :)

craig333 said:
I'll be the test case. I leave my TF running constantly. Stocked with beer too just in case I get a chance to get away suddenly :)
Ok ... thats my point you never know when you might be able to roll last minute! A guy has to be prepared and ready for anything! I was leaving it running fridge stocked ... full tank of gas just in case I win the lottery.

Back
Top Bottom