Camper sits higher in the front than in the rear?

Krist003

I recently purchased a 2004 Hawk and noticed that it sits 1/2" higher in the front than in the rear. I have a spray-in bedliner, with a rubber bed mat, and a 2" thick foam platform underneath in order to clear the cab. I checked that everything was sitting flush to the bed through the turnbuckle access points. Scratching my head on this one and came up empty when searching the forum. Is the camper designed this way?

Also curious about the exterior corner points and lack of weatherproofing. Is this as-designed or do I need some kind of weatherproofing/sealant here?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Camper.jpg
    Camper.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 163
  • Camper 1.jpg
    Camper 1.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 167
  • Camper 2.jpg
    Camper 2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 143
Welcome to the site.
That's strange.
At first I thought that with more weight near the rear
that might be crushing the 2" foam,but your weight is mostly
up front.
Is there maybe a strip of wood missing on the rear,or a piece added to the front?
Frank

My first camper was a 2005 Hawk and it did not have jack brackets. It looks like yours were added by a previous owner. Your picture shows the exposed edge of some plywood. I would be inclined to seal it somehow although you don't want to create a situation where water get in when driving 65 mph and cannot drain because of the sealing. To adjust your height, you have added a foam board which is fine, but a previous owner may have done similar by adding strips of wood under the camper and maybe that job is creating the tilt. Otherwise, as the others said; maybe foam is crushed or camper sitting on something in front. Foam should be pretty rigid; take a look at EPS foam; can be purchased in various sizes and densities (strength). Often used instead of earth fill under structures.

The next time you have the camper off the truck, you might measure the distance from the top of your bed mat to the to the top of the rail along each side of the truck. That might help you determine if the problem is associated with the truck or the camper. Also, do at least a visual check of the bed and make sure it appears flat without any raised sections - something weird could have happened like uneven application of the spray-in bedliner. The campers often have a bit of framing underneath to account for different truck bed rail heights so the camper can clear the rails and roof. Check that as well and make sure it hasn't been modified or damaged.

I have the same thing with my camper. Last time I had it off I checked the camper. Nothing odd there. Looked over the bed. Nothing unusual there. Reinstall the camper and it sits like that. I've learned to live with it. Doesn't hurt anything.

On my 2021 Grandby the front wall material hangs about 1/8 inch below the cleats on the bottom of the camper, and made an indentation in my sprayed in bedliner before I added a rubber mat. Next time the camper is out look carefully at the front cleat and front wall at the bottom.

I can’t tell exactly what you’re driving, Toyota?I’m guessing your camper is level to your bed. It’s probably the design of the bed sides. The newer Rams, at least the 4th generation like I have, are that way as well

my truck bed (2016 F150) is not the exact same depth at all spots.. my bet is yours is the same..

My '08 Hawk when installed onto my 2015 Super Duty was the same, low in the rear. I added a strip of wood on the rear edge of the camper bottom to level in the bed.

Isn't the difference you are seeing the truck fender styling vs the floor of the truck bed ?

DG

Good reason for Firestone Air Bags...My '05 Tundra AC with '16 Hawk when loaded with water, propane etc sits about 1" lower in rear until I inflate the air bags....weight distribution in Hawk is not just off front to rear but side to side...I measure wheel wells and adjust fully loaded rig to within 1/8 inch...obviously wheel base and bed length/location affects weight distribution of load...phone app for leveling does help but you need a level surface to start with...

It is a 2016 Ford F-250; 3200lb payload. It’s not making the trucks suspension sag at all, but the bed rails are not parallel with the camper. The underside of the camper is stock and nothing unusual in the bed.

Sounds like Fish More has the almost identical setup and has the same issue so it must be the truck.
I’m thinking it is the way the truck is built. Either the bed platform or the bed rails. I will confirm when I get the camper back off.

Great thoughts and suggestions. Thanks everyone!

Can you fish a tape measure to measure bed depth? Access is available at the front reward and back ends.

I have a 2014 F-350 with Hawk, sits the same way as yours does in the bed with more distance from the bed rail to the camper in the front than rear. Ive checked the bed and underside of the camper and everything seems even. I thought it was weird at first but it didn't seem to be hurting anything. 2 years and 100+ nights in the camper later and it doesn't seem to negatively effect anything.

I just re-read the first post...1/2" difference front to back...heck, tire pressure could cause that...doubt if that small of difference would affect handling of truck or use of camper...

I had this concern too on my install and on my truck (RAM 1500) found out that the bed rail actually had a curve to it so it appeared the camper was curved but it wasn't. As other people stated, you could resolve the issue w/ some wood spacers.

It is the truck bed.

Many of the new truck beds are tapered (different depths in front and back of the truck bed).

Has been happening since about 2002 with the Dodge ram 2500/3500 trucks.

They are deeper on one end of the truck bed, compared to the other end of the truck bed.

We see it all the time.

EVERYONE !!!!

The truck floor bed does not slope down.........

The design styling of the truck fenders sweeps up at the rear......

Everything is okay....

Sorry but this has been a non issue for two pages now.

Trucks are swoopy for the last twenty years or so....the bottom edge of the camper is not swoopy......but straight.

Repeat after me ....trucks are swoopy, trucks are swoopy, trucks are swoopy......

Back
Top Bottom