Camper steps

WjColdWater

After experimenting with a couple of portable options, including a DYI option we settled on a three step Little Giant. We needed a step system that would accommodate us and Paige our golden retriever. This is a heavy duty three step folding unit with wide steps with nonslip rubber treads. It has a folding handle that can be folded away for a step only arrangement. Overall a quality unit that fits on the floor space of our Grandby. It’s also a sturdy platform for geezers like us. Paige is a geezer also at nine years young.

My DIY attempt, worked but not the best system.

This unit is a little pricey, but can also be used for home of projects. The handle extension also has a tool holding area for drills and tools. It’s also a little on the heavy side if weight is a issue. Overall Carol and Paige happy and it’s a solid entry system.

After years of multiple step arrangements... I got these. Incredibly easy, sturdy, well made.... and fast on and off...first out last in right at the door.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 8.28.02 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-26 at 8.28.02 AM.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 342
I have the 3-step Little Giant as well. Bought it with our dogs in mind too. I removed the extension handle and little casters from it, don't really see my self needing them. Its the best and most sturdy little step-ladder I've ever used. Well worth the weight cost. I also wanted a stand-alone step-ladder so that my Wife could access roof latches and stuff if need be. If it walked away tomorrow, I'd buy another.

buckland said:
After years of multiple step arrangements... I got these. Incredibly easy, sturdy, well made.... and fast on and off...first out last in right at the door.
What I have as well. Only thing closer to the door is a ammo can with tools in it and it just sets under the truck at night.

We bought an aluminum LG 3-step ladder. The thing is bomber sturdy and stows nicely in the doorway when traveling.

I like my custom fold up steps the best. Stays on all the time and don't have to get them out of the camper or put them away. Works on unlevel ground too, unlike scissor steps or a ladder.

Attachments

• P1020832.JPG
    P1020832.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 221
  • P1020833.JPG
    P1020833.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 280
  • P1020834.JPG
    P1020834.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 263
It started life as a standard Brophy 2 step. I cut it apart and modified it into what you see now.

You all... ignore me cause I'm old but... I've been on two trips this year where an ankle was twisted pretty bad by participants. One was a younger FWC owner the other was older like me ;) They both slipped getting out of camper. They are both looking at better steps now. A twisted ankle or a worse fall can end or dampen any trip. Please be careful with whichever setup you use. Personally I LOVE my Glow Steps!!! Because of these accidents I carry and ace wrap ankle support and a blowup ankle brace in my gear :(

Back
Top Bottom