Campfire Alternative

Sportsman Matt

Advanced Member
Figured I would share this with the folks on the forum...

OK, being one of those folks that happen to live near "ground zero" of the Asian Longhorn Beetle infestation of 2008, the surrounding states have started their "firewood importation ban" with some states carrying fines of up to $500 for importing a bundle of firewood from the woodpile at home.

So I figured I would outsmart them at this game, seeing that the beetles only attach themselves to live hardwood trees, by getting the Camco Campfire in a Can. Nice little setup, 8 foot propane hose, couple of ceramic fake logs over a round fire ring, and it sits on it's own pedistal of sorts so no flame to ground contact. Plus it hooks up to a 20# LP Tank.

So this past weekend I decided to hook it up and try it out while waiting for dinner at 9PM at night. First thing I found was that the regulator doesn't close off entirely, as as soon as I turned the gas valve on the tank, you could hear gas coming out of the fireplace. So I lit it with a loud whoosh, it sprung to life with flames about 1" tall. So then I opened the regulator up and had 2' flames with it partially opened. It was kind of neat to watch, but watching the blue flame where it should have been bright red or orange took a little getting used to. but the yellow flames made up for it, casting light a good distance away to see.

The only downfall I found to this was when I needed to turn it off. I shut off the gas at the regulator, which the flames died down to almost nothing. I then shut off the tank, and walked over to the campfire, which was still burning (1/4" of flame at the gas ring inside) So I opened up the regulator and it continued to burn for another 45 seconds (guessing I had some propane built up in the regulator) The only thing I was had to wait over 45 minutes later because the burner assembly was still too warm to the touch before I could put it away.

So now I have my campfire alternative for the fire bans and firewood bans. Plus I do not have to haul a couple cord of wood to have a nice fire to sit by when in camp.

Hmm that's interesting I'd like to see that in action. I'm not sure a propane fire would be the same as good old fashion burning shat, but you never know :)

Hi Matt,
Thanks for bringing up this topic.
I have one of these propane campfires that I use on river trips in the spring and fall. Nice for a quick warm up and it is "Leave No Trace". Almost all rivers require fire pans and ash removal so the propane fire is a nice no smoke way of having a fire.
I think in the future we will see more camping areas requiring fire pans, ash removal,and firewood gathering bans.
http://www.ez-campfire.com/

Dsrtrat

Figured I would share this with the folks on the forum...

OK, being one of those folks that happen to live near "ground zero" of the Asian Longhorn Beetle infestation of 2008, the surrounding states have started their "firewood importation ban" with some states carrying fines of up to $500 for importing a bundle of firewood from the woodpile at home.

So I figured I would outsmart them at this game, seeing that the beetles only attach themselves to live hardwood trees, by getting the Camco Campfire in a Can. Nice little setup, 8 foot propane hose, couple of ceramic fake logs over a round fire ring, and it sits on it's own pedistal of sorts so no flame to ground contact. Plus it hooks up to a 20# LP Tank.

So this past weekend I decided to hook it up and try it out while waiting for dinner at 9PM at night. First thing I found was that the regulator doesn't close off entirely, as as soon as I turned the gas valve on the tank, you could hear gas coming out of the fireplace. So I lit it with a loud whoosh, it sprung to life with flames about 1" tall. So then I opened the regulator up and had 2' flames with it partially opened. It was kind of neat to watch, but watching the blue flame where it should have been bright red or orange took a little getting used to. but the yellow flames made up for it, casting light a good distance away to see.

The only downfall I found to this was when I needed to turn it off. I shut off the gas at the regulator, which the flames died down to almost nothing. I then shut off the tank, and walked over to the campfire, which was still burning (1/4" of flame at the gas ring inside) So I opened up the regulator and it continued to burn for another 45 seconds (guessing I had some propane built up in the regulator) The only thing I was had to wait over 45 minutes later because the burner assembly was still too warm to the touch before I could put it away.

So now I have my campfire alternative for the fire bans and firewood bans. Plus I do not have to haul a couple cord of wood to have a nice fire to sit by when in camp.

Very interesting indeed. One of the things I like to do while camping on moonless nights is to look at deep space objects through my telescope. Telescope nights have always been incompatible with fire nights for many reasons, which makes it hard to get uninitiated folks to go along with telescope nights. However, a fire that doesn't produce smoke and ash, and can be turned on and off might allow fire nights and telescope nights to co-exist.

I have an early version. Even without logs its a very nice flame. Still its a last resort. Doesn't replace a wood campfire. But if the fire restrictions are such its a lot better than no fire at all. I hope the restrictions remain primarily for fire danger and inappropriate spots like the rivers. Most places are just fine. Hate to see them get overly restricted.

Campfires are such a huge part of the camping tradition. I sometimes think it's even in our genes. A link with our primitive past.

We have found them to be distracting and now look forward to just watching the world go dark, the sounds of the day to slowly turn to the sounds of night. Sitting quietly as the world darkens, without a fire wildlife is less apt to steer clear of our area. And, our eyes slowly become adjusted to night. It is amazing how well you can see. The stars grow in the sky and sparkle. We now find we miss these aspects if we have a fire.

We have not had a campfire (for campfire sake) for over 25 years.

A fire is very important to me out camping. I camp solo but staring into the flames and coals and hearing the crackle can entertain me for hours. Along with a little Jack Daniels!!! :D

I was looking at something called the "Little Red Campfire" at Camping World the other day. Has ceramic logs and burns propane. I hope I am never reduced to that thing!!! :eek:

I also think its very much a communal thing. I rarely make a campfire when I'm solo.

X2. I usually don't have a fire, so I can see the sky better. When I'm with others, I will, but usually small and in my 18" BBQ grill.

Charcoal makes a reasonable fire, too. After I cook on the grill I've been known to use the grill with more charcoal as a campfire. And you can add wood/twigs/etc to augment the fire.

Frank

Ok I have finally gotten Flickr to allow me to upload a pic of the campfire in a can in use 2 weekends ago.

4682576032_180267bbfd.jpg

I too am close to the beetle nastiness (Matt I am just south of Worcester) and know I am not supposed to bring firewood with me any more to a lot of places I go. Fortunately where I go in Maine getting some is not an issue. It was quite a few years ago I stopped bringing wood and instead brought a chainsaw.

But I do like the idea of your fire if you can't have a real wood one....better than nothing. There are times I love the stars and no light pollution but I also agree with the sentiment that a fire is a throwback to our early days as people and can be so great. At the end of a long wet day of fishing, hunting, hiking, whatever...there is nothing like a nice fire to set my soul right. I have a fire pit next to the pond I live on and many times will have a fire (any season) and just sit out there marinading some ice cubes in the appropriate amber colored liquid and enjoy the night all by my lonesome. :)

I think people build (non-survival) campfires for the same reason that people have the TV on even when there's not much worth watching: It's bright and it moves so it's something to watch at night.
But a campfire can be enjoyed from 360°, while even the most modern flat-screen TV can't serve half that.
biggrin.gif

old topic i know! i'm reading through threads just cuz : )

My wife and i haven't started a camp fire but one trip with our adult kids as our son is an ex-VFD pyro now in the USAF as his sister is.

It was fun watching them burn marshmellows beyond any recognition.

Cari and i don't do the fire thing as we camp close to rivers and also we enjoy the passing from day to night as others have mentioned. AND...here is the biggie...we really dislike smelling like smoke!

Happy Trails,
Thom

Back
Top Bottom