camping directory/guide

clikrf8

Most maps (DeLorme comes to mind) only mention RV parks. We would like a guide/directory to West Coast campgrounds, perhaps one for the Southwest, individual states grouped together like Washington, Oregon, Idaho or Montana, Wyoming, Idaho or Washington, Oregon California or Utah, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico or any of those individual states plus British Columbia. There are quite a number of them out there so it is confusing. We want not only a directory but a guide with a paragraph with directions, number and type of campsites, fees, other info. Thanks.

We aren't really interested in RV type places (or else we wouldn't have ordered a FWC) but prefer simpler places without all the bells and whistles (well, maybe a shower once in awhile). USFS, some state and national park campgrounds, BLM guidelines, etc.

BLM has some nice maps with their recreation sites and facilities. On line you can find all the Forest Service campsites (by ranger district) with descriptions, I suppose you could print that.

Does Benchmark list and mark more than DeLorme?

Thanks, I will print up some lists from USFS.

There are many guides/directories when I checked Amazon but none seemed to fit what I wanted. Maybe I am too exacting.

Anyone have any experience with:
Woodalls
Trailer Life
Don Wights Free $12 and Under Guide to Campgrounds 2007
Frommers
Guide books by Mike and Teri Church

Just found this: National Park Service Camping Guide, 4th Edition 2010 might be helpful.

Has anybody used The Complete Book of Boondock RVing: Camping Off the Beaten Path by Bill Moeller

Thanks a lot.

For BLM campgrounds (no USFS, NPS or state parks) there is "Adventures on America's Public Lands" put out by the Dept. of the Interior and BLM. Tisdale & Booth ed. It seems pretty complete and covers all states with BLM land. However, you can get the same info from the BLM websites for the cost of paper and printer ink.

I have never seen a Delorme but if they only show RV parks Benchmark has them beat. Check one out at a Barnes and Noble and see if it is what you are looking for.

AAA of So Cal has a camping guide for Calif. It lists: National parks and monuments, State Parks, National forests, County parks, State forests, BLM, Army corps of engineers,City parks and Private parks.

I'm not sure about other states. You might check with your local AAA office.

If you can find the old Sunset magazine camping book that will give you a pretty good list of sites in western U.S. and Canada.They have been out of print since 1970 but a used book store may have one,or e-bay.I find it useful in conjunction with other info ie. maps or web sites.

Hope this has helped.

Frank

I have the Campwhere app for my iPad. Like google maps with federal/state/municipal campgrounds. Clickable, with links etc. Pretty slick app.

I have the Campwhere app for my iPad. Like google maps with federal/state/municipal campgrounds. Clickable, with links etc. Pretty slick app.

That looks nice, for $5 hard to go wrong :D

If you can find the old Sunset magazine camping book that will give you a pretty good list of sites in western U.S. and Canada.They have been out of print since 1970 but a used book store may have one,or e-bay.I find it useful in conjunction with other info ie. maps or web sites.

Hope this has helped.

Frank

After checking the Sunset book I have is from 1978,I miss spoke about the 1970 date but they are still out of print by the early 80s.That phone app sounds cool,might have to look into it.

Frank

Thanks again everyone. No iPad/iPhone just a 13" MacBook Pro where I do my photo editing. Sounds cool though. I know that we can check out places on line but we may not be near a wifi source on the road. I may be looking into a wifi antenna though.

I checked with local AAA and yes they have FREE campground guides for various state groups. Just have to get to the other side of town to pick them up.

1978 may be a bit outdated. It would be nice to have a more recent edition from Sunset.

I will start bookmarking campgrounds where we will be so if I get near some free wifi we can check them out.

I found a few more on Amazon that may work as introductions.

I think we may boondock more than do the campground route. Since we are seniors we can pull the "we are really tired and lost and need to stop for a rest" line. No trespassing, of course, as we respect property rights as we live on a road that dead ends near prime mountain biking and get folks who park in our driveway or on our frontage.

Thanks, again.

I may be looking into a wifi antenna though.

I saw a cool article on the web yesterday on how to make a decent one from a tin can and a couple adaptors :)

Since we are seniors we can pull the "we are really tired and lost and need to stop for a rest" line.

How's that work at noon? "I am really demented and lost and not even sure who I am"

Thanks again everyone. No iPad/iPhone just a 13" MacBook Pro where I do my photo editing. Sounds cool though. I know that we can check out places on line but we may not be near a wifi source on the road. I may be looking into a wifi antenna though.

I checked with local AAA and yes they have FREE campground guides for various state groups. Just have to get to the other side of town to pick them up.

1978 may be a bit outdated. It would be nice to have a more recent edition from Sunset.

I will start bookmarking campgrounds where we will be so if I get near some free wifi we can check them out.

I found a few more on Amazon that may work as introductions.

I think we may boondock more than do the campground route. Since we are seniors we can pull the "we are really tired and lost and need to stop for a rest" line. No trespassing, of course, as we respect property rights as we live on a road that dead ends near prime mountain biking and get folks who park in our driveway or on our frontage.

Thanks, again.

The Sunset camping book of which I speak is out of print and Sunset doesn't have a replacement.Even though its out dated the basic info of where the campgrounds are is still good when used with national forest and road maps. We have found a lot of different spots with the book. Most seem to still be there.I think that if you have a good road atlas,we use a large scale Road Master atlas.It shows the national forest camps plus other ones.Also the benchmark is useful.The AAA camping books are also useful and free.

Have fun wandering

Frank

Hey, thanks, I will check it out.

Sometimes, being right-brained has me looking for the esoteric over the obvious.

That looks nice, for $5 hard to go wrong :D

That's exactly how I responded when someone recommended it to me on Advrider. Haven't used it on the road yet but it's been fun to play with at home. I'm a sucker for maps I can scroll/zoom around with my fingers.

Back
Top Bottom