Can a full size diesel truck do Dedeckera Canyon?

Brewskier

Advanced Member
Still debating on which truck route I should go with.... lighter v6's or heavier diesels.

I came across this video, which shows a Sportsmobile van go through a particularly nasty section of the road. It sounded like he banged up his bumper pretty good, and at one point it looked like he was not able to go up the step. Obviously, by the end of the video, it shows him going through, so he must have made it. I'm just curious if a full size rig with a trailer could go through this section? Anybody ever do it, here?

[youtube]

Been thru it both directions several times in a locked-up '84 Toyota Xcab and went up it once with the '91 Suburban. The only spot that I recall that would concern me is the sharp-ish RH turn before the last (?) step going up. Depending on the combo's turn radius a trailer might complicate things there. Look up the Adventure Duo's page. I'll bet that Dave & Yosh have towed one of their various trailers thru there and short of going out and looking at it might offer some good insight.

Yes, but not in a full size diesel pulling a trailer.

Trip Report

Great pictures. I am considering a 4x4 Ford Ranger like yours, but I worry a little on how much weight it can tow. I plan on having a fridge, a water tank, a water heater, possibly a porta-potti, and a few other heavy things, so I don't know if the Ranger is up to the task. Do you have a lot in your camper, or do you go very light?

Rangers are, by far, the cheapest 4x4's I've seen for sale, so it would allow me to get into this hobby on the cheap (which I like). I just don't want to end up with something that isn't going to meet my needs.

A couple of years ago, on a landcruiser run, we tried getting a 100 series LC towing a small pop-up camping trailer through the canyon. LC was on 33's, locked front and rear and trailer was sprung over on 15" rims (not sure of the tire height, but it has some clearance). We were unsuccessfull.

We even tried lifting the trailer around the tight spots and couldn't get it through, so the owner turned around and met us at the springs via north pass road.

We couldn't get it past the first turn at the bottom of the rocky section, if we could have, it would have made it past the ledges no problem. Of course there are some very tight turns leading down from the pass to the springs themselves.

I know of a 2007 Dodge Power Wagon with a pop-up truck camper (can't remember the brand, not a FWC/ATC) that a was able to get through the canyon unscathed.

Jack

Great pictures. I am considering a 4x4 Ford Ranger like yours, but I worry a little on how much weight it can tow. I plan on having a fridge, a water tank, a water heater, possibly a porta-potti, and a few other heavy things, so I don't know if the Ranger is up to the task. Do you have a lot in your camper, or do you go very light?

Rangers are, by far, the cheapest 4x4's I've seen for sale, so it would allow me to get into this hobby on the cheap (which I like). I just don't want to end up with something that isn't going to meet my needs.

We bought our truck used a couple of years ago for getting a camper. Our previous truck was a 1994 ranger with the OHV 4.0. Put 200,000 miles on it and would have kept it but it was a stepside. We stuck with the ranger because I'm pretty familiar with them.

We changed the rear leaf springs to a custom set from Deaver. We had airbags and they worked well but we tend to get into rough remote places and were concerned about possible airbag failure. The springs were $650 plus about $100 shipping. It took us a Saturday morning to change the springs.

I weighed the truck empty with the end gate on, 4100 lbs. Installed the camper and loaded it up for a trip. It weighed in at 5000 lbs. We were not in the truck so add in 175 for me and 120 for the Lady. I figure fully loaded we are just under the door tag's 5400 lbs. max weight. We are minimalists- mountaineers and backpackers - and resist the temptation of adding more stuff.

This engine and drive train haul the load adequately. I would not add a trailer.

Ours is an older camper that we remodeled. It has a small water tank, no refrigerator, we use an ice chest. I believe a newer camper with more amenities would weigh more.

I agree with Ski. I love my Ranger/Eagle combo, and for the non-technical driving I do, Supersprings, off-road shocks and load rated tires make for a good ride on Forest Service roads. I may go with custom springs in the future. With the gear you mention, I think you should be all right with upgraded springs and tires that can handle the load and trail. You will be at the vehicle's load limit - above it if you carry a lot of other gear and people. I completely agree that towing a trailer would be a bad idea (unless you remove the camper). That would be too much for a Ranger. I hear others complain about the relatively cramped Ranger interior, too. That hasn't been a problem for me (I'm short), but it might be a consideration for you.

Maneueverability or power and roominess? Tough choice.

We bought our truck used a couple of years ago for getting a camper. Our previous truck was a 1994 ranger with the OHV 4.0. Put 200,000 miles on it and would have kept it but it was a stepside. We stuck with the ranger because I'm pretty familiar with them.

We changed the rear leaf springs to a custom set from Deaver. We had airbags and they worked well but we tend to get into rough remote places and were concerned about possible airbag failure. The springs were $650 plus about $100 shipping. It took us a Saturday morning to change the springs.

I weighed the truck empty with the end gate on, 4100 lbs. Installed the camper and loaded it up for a trip. It weighed in at 5000 lbs. We were not in the truck so add in 175 for me and 120 for the Lady. I figure fully loaded we are just under the door tag's 5400 lbs. max weight. We are minimalists- mountaineers and backpackers - and resist the temptation of adding more stuff.

This engine and drive train haul the load adequately. I would not add a trailer.

Ours is an older camper that we remodeled. It has a small water tank, no refrigerator, we use an ice chest. I believe a newer camper with more amenities would weigh more.

Only 5400 pounds? Maybe a Ranger is not what I need, then. I will almost certainly load up more stuff than that.

I'm really stuck. The vehicle I want should be able to make it through that canyon, but I want it to be big enough to carry a nicely equipped trailer. The search continues!

Why a trailer thru Dedeckera? Seems like an unusual requirement, but to each his own. We have seen a trailer being towed, coming down from Steele Pass as we were leaving Saline Valley, two Christmas' past. I don't recall the specifics, but maybe Sunman will. He was there too. I thought the trailer was a bit over the top, but the guys in the F250 crew cab were what blew me away.

So far I've gone up Dedeckera in a stock Tahoe (solo, first time :oops: ), and more recently down and up it the last two years with the Tunda/Hawk combo. I'll admit I got tagged last time on my right rear quarter panel, but that was my mistake.

I saw that Sportsmobile video several years ago which erased any doubts I had about getting thru Dedeckera Canyon. Personally I think the Sportsmobile prolly could've taken it slower, picked a better line and made it thru unscathed. I do remember that F-250 Lighthawk and the trailer I think we passed after we had exited but they definitely made it. Gene has also mentioned seeing the NPS Hummers making it thru as well. So no problem with a full size long bed, as for the trailer I think it would depend on the type, clearance, and drivers skill. But I agree, can't Imagine needing the trailer AND a camper, I lug around enough crap already :D

I saw that Sportsmobile video several years ago which erased any doubts I had about getting thru Dedeckera Canyon. Personally I think the Sportsmobile prolly could've taken it slower, picked a better line and made it thru unscathed. I do remember that F-250 Lighthawk and the trailer I think we passed after we had exited but they definitely made it. Gene has also mentioned seeing the NPS Hummers making it thru as well. So no problem with a full size long bed, as for the trailer I think it would depend on the type, clearance, and drivers skill. But I agree, can't Imagine needing the trailer AND a camper, I lug around enough crap already :D

Oops, my mistake guys. I have no aspirations to tow a trailer. I meant camper.

Good to hear about full size trucks getting through. I was warned by the guy who made that video that going through in a full sized rig, with a camper sticking out the sides making it even wider, would be very very hard, and the biggest risk would be damaging the trailer on one of the rocks. I certainly wouldn't want to do that.

Oops, my mistake guys. I have no aspirations to tow a trailer. I meant camper.

Thanks for the clarification. :) Camper is much better than trailer, at least for the roads I drive.

I know there's one rock wall that's got some pretty scrapes on it, located at a rock ramp, about the third technical obstacle. I watched my mirrors and the Hawk was less than a foot from contact, but no worries. :unsure: :eek: :D

I made the mistake of pulling my trailer down a nasty jeep trail in 2010 in Arizona. I ended up ripping both fenders off the trailer and bending the axle. It cost me $1100 to put Humpty Dumpty back together. Lesson learned. No nasty jeep trails when I have my trailer with me.

The axle was bent so bad that the tire was ruined by the time I got it to the repair facility. I had the factory give the trailer a 4" lift kit and replace the 2200 lb. axle with a 3500 lb. axle. Much more stout now.

ripped off fender bent axle - P11201920001.JPG

I made the mistake of pulling my trailer down a nasty jeep trail in 2010 in Arizona. I ended up ripping both fenders off the trailer and bending the axle. It cost me $1100 to put Humpty Dumpty back together. Lesson learned. No nasty jeep trails when I have my trailer with me.

The axle was bent so bad that the tire was ruined by the time I got it to the repair facility. I had the factory give the trailer a 4" lift kit and replace the 2200 lb. axle with a 3500 lb. axle. Much more stout now.

View attachment 13836

ohmy.gif
WOW. Looks like your tire got wasted on the long drive home too...bummer.

Leadsled9;
the torsion type axles are great for road use,but as you learned not for off the road.
i did the same thing (replaced torsion axle with solid axle and spring no more troubles.
also had the bolt pattern match my rig so as to have spare tires fit both.

Les.lqhikers

ohmy.gif
WOW. Looks like your tire got wasted on the long drive home too...bummer.

The tire got wasted due to the fact the axle was a pretzel.....only took about 85 miles to ruin it with the axle that bent.

Back
Top Bottom