Can a Li battery be charged by a generator?

Wallowa

Double Ought
Sorry off topic...but I have a '62 vehicle that I want to use a Li battery in and wondered if the original generator or any generator [not an alternator] can correctly charge a Li battery? Perhaps this could be applicable on older RVs with generators as well.

Thanks...

Phil, I don't see why not. Of course, you should install a DCDC charger to get the "smarts" necessary for correct charging. That said, the generator may not be rated to put out 30A for very long.

What vehicle?

I had a generator on my 1966 Triumph TR4A. A very simple device so probably not a good choice for such a battery without more complicated electronics.

fuzzymarindave said:
I had a generator on my 1966 Triumph TR4A. A very simple device so probably not a good choice for such a battery without more complicated electronics.
Brings back memories. I too had a TR4A and one thing that was never reliable was the electrical system. Finally replaced with a Delco alternator with built-in regulator. Problems solved.

mobilelists said:
Brings back memories. I too had a TR4A and one thing that was never reliable was the electrical system. Finally replaced with a Delco alternator with built-in regulator. Problems solved.
Lucas the Prince of Darkness

I remember the bad old days with Lucas electrics back in the 60's. While I never owned a British sports car with Lucas parts, friends did. One rumor I heard, at the time, was that rather than copper, they used cotton twine dipped in salt water and coated with paraffin for wires. It was their reputation for electrical problems that convinced me that British sports cars were best avoided. I'm sure that I missed out on lots of fun. :)

Paul

PaulT said:
I remember the bad old days with Lucas electrics back in the 60's. While I never owned a British sports car with Lucas parts, friends did. One rumor I heard, at the time, was that rather than copper, they used cotton twine dipped in salt water and coated with paraffin for wires. It was their reputation for electrical problems that convinced me that British sports cars were best avoided. I'm sure that I missed out on lots of fun. :)

Paul
They did have that constant thrill of not working. Usually at night in the rain. I remember removing the starter and taking it to a shop that said it would take them a long time to get around to rebuilding. Ended up making a wood cover over the hole where it was mounted as it took over a year to get it back. Fortunately I lived in place with many hills which made it easy to roll downhill to start it. It was fun then.

Now I wouldn't want to drive a vehicle for camping if it had any of those issues. Times have changed as has the ease of fixing vehicles.

Ok...I will counter..back in the 60s I had a '55 Austin Healey ...never a problem with Lucas electrics..outstanding ride! Have a '69 TR6R Triumph motorcycle...same no problems with Lucas...I know they did indeed make some crap; I just was and am lucky....

Phil...

==============

I have given up on Li for my '62 and will stick with Odessey AGM coming Tuesday...way too many issues trying to charge a Li with my '62 generator ...besides the AGM I had in the '62 lasted from 2002 until last week; always on a trickle charger...not happy with AGM 49.5 lb. weight but can't have it all..

Back
Top Bottom