Can an old FWC be modded to fit a Toyota T-100?

rich

Contributors
Hello All,

I have been on the hunt for an FWC within my budget for a while. Have found several Grandbys, which have the size I want, in my price range but they are 1990's models which require a 65 inch bed opening but my T-100 only has a 58-60 inch opening. Has anyone moded one of these to work on a T-100, because of the stepped design can you build a basement underneath it and boost it up so it will fit? Or is there simply no way to make an older hawk or grandby work on a T-100?

Any info would be really helpful.

Rich

You'd have to do some major rework on the floor pack/rear frame.

...e.g., cutting and re-welding structural aluminum. Been done, though...

I did my 88 Granby

Yeah,it can be done.I got mine rebuilt at FWC in Woodland Ca. 5 years ago to fit my 04 Sierra and have no complaints. It cost a couple grand to have them do it but less than purchasing a newer year model that would fit and mine was in great shape. I recommend it if you already have one but you have to purchase one may be cost affective to buy newer that does fit.

Rich,

If I remember correctly Tomas Tierra had an older "Fleet" model in his T-100 and all it took was a sheet of 3/4" plywood under it to raise it above the rails. There's a pic of it on one of the threads along with a Ranger and they're nearly identical for size.

EDITGuess I was remembering pics on TT's Tundra at: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3825 and at: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2298 TT does say he had the fleet on his T-100 though.

John D and I talked about his Keystone that was modified by ATC. Because the Keystone hangs out the back of the truck the rear tube can stay the same but I'm not sure about the front. Other than that it looks like the floor pack vertical wall was moved in about 1 1/2" or so on both sides, a thin horizontal filler strip of plywood added on the inside of the floorpack "horizontal shelf" (the horizontal part that goes above the wheel wells of the truck) and (I think) a second sheet of ply added on top of the spliced horizontal shelf. If you're serious about it I'd call either Chicali at FWC or Marty at ATC and ask what tube mods would be required and look closely at what utilities (electrical/water), if any, would have to be moved when the floor pack is modified. Even if the tube mods are needed it seems like it would be something an experienced mig/tig welder could make happen pretty easily. You might ask the ATC/FWC guys what they'd charge to just do the tube mods if you want to keep cost down and do the rest yourself.

dawgspit did a Grandby mod to fit his Dodge...there are some pics of the camper on the truck in his first post, if I remember correctly. I'm hoping he'll post some pics of the mod work when he gets a chance. You might be able to PM him and ask about tube mods. Check it out here: http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2321

Getting one of the older campers home if it doesn't fit in your truck will be interesting too. Renting a flatbed trailer and cinching it down on that with ratchet straps or ? would probably work.

Hope all that helps some.

Happy Trails!
'birds

Little cut here, small weld there, no problem. The reality is yes you can do it if you have good understanding of carpentry and metal working skills. The cost of doing the job yourself should not be a factor at all. You just need to be realistic about how much time and energy you want to put into it. I was heading this route but ended up finding a Fleet Model so I do not need to narrow the floor pack at all. I am planning on cutting about 1.5 feet off the overall length of the camper though. This is an easier job than narrowing the width of the floor pack in my opinion. I'm starting my custom job in two weeks and hope to have it done over the weekend. For your job I would plan on three weekends to do it right. Just be prepared for the unexpected and commit. Otherwise keep shopping until you find the right camper. Good luck!
-SSS

Little cut here, small weld there, no problem. The reality is yes you can do it if you have good understanding of carpentry and metal working skills. The cost of doing the job yourself should not be a factor at all. You just need to be realistic about how much time and energy you want to put into it. I was heading this route but ended up finding a Fleet Model so I do not need to narrow the floor pack at all. I am planning on cutting about 1.5 feet off the overall length of the camper though. This is an easier job than narrowing the width of the floor pack in my opinion. I'm starting my custom job in two weeks and hope to have it done over the weekend. For your job I would plan on three weekends to do it right. Just be prepared for the unexpected and commit. Otherwise keep shopping until you find the right camper. Good luck!
-SSS

This will, of course, need to be documented and published on the board...

I will do my best on my job but can't speak for Rich! I have been doing my preliminary research on the mod for a couple weeks now. Pictures of campers gutted down to the frame are like gold to me.
-SSS

Income Potential?

I will do my best on my job but can't speak for Rich! I have been doing my preliminary research on the mod for a couple weeks now. Pictures of campers gutted down to the frame are like gold to me.
-SSS

S^3,

It just occurred to me that you could probably make a tidy sum modding old FWC's with the skills you already have and the knowledge base you will have soon enough...

Ingalls

I have actually thought of that myself. The last camper I owned I turned for a 5k profit! You loose track of weekends fast when you are constantly obsessing about mods for you camper. At any rate I'd really rather spend that time in the mountains with family and friends.
-SSS

Coupla Pickies

Rich,

An older fleet will go on the T-100 no problemo..As was stated by AKSB, a
3/4" sheet of plywood did the trick..

Shots of older fleet on T-100 long bed and T-100 extra cab..

TT

Attachments

• DSCN1643.JPG
    DSCN1643.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 243
  • img058.jpg
    img058.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 251
Thanks for all the info!

Thanks for the info guys. All of my buddies can weld steel but none are set up for aluminum and I just finished a major home remodel doing it myself so the thought of that serious of a camper remodel is a bit intimidating. In the end the cost to have FWC do it doesn't seem to pan out. That leaves me back looking for a fleet. They are hard to find though. Is the fleet comparable in size to a Grandby? Because the Eagle and Ranger II that fit my truck are just too small.

Incidentally ATC and FWC want between $2,600 and $3,000 to do the floor pack mod.

That leaves me back looking for a fleet. They are hard to find though. Is the fleet comparable in size to a Grandby? Because the Eagle and Ranger II that fit my truck are just too small.

Actually no you aren't just stuck with a fleet, its just the older grandby/hawks that won't fit your bed. The newer ones should. You partially incorrectly said the 90's were 65" in your first post, I believe only 90 or 91 would have fallen into that category if any of the 90's did. After that they were built for a tailgate opening of 60" I believe and then after that for a 58" one (this was earlly 2000's I believe). Call the factory if you want specifics but if your T100 tailgate is 60" then you should be okay with a hawk or grandby from at least 1992 or newer (call the factory to verify if 90 or 91 applies). If its only 58" you'll be looking for a bit newer.

Thanks Pods8,

You are correct I could do a newer model but they tend to be out of my budget which may leave me looking for a fleet. I need to go measure my tailgate opening again but I was told that it was 58' for my year truck. I'd like a fleet or Grandby, I'd even go Hawk I just can't go for the really small eagles or Ranger II's is all.

Well the hunt continues.

Thanks Pods8,

You are correct I could do a newer model but they tend to be out of my budget which may leave me looking for a fleet. I need to go measure my tailgate opening again but I was told that it was 58' for my year truck. I'd like a fleet or Grandby, I'd even go Hawk I just can't go for the really small eagles or Ranger II's is all.

Well the hunt continues.

Understandable on the budget. If don't have a 60" tailgate opening then you'll be looking in the 200X years which will obviously cost a bit more. If you do have it and are patient you might find something more affordable there.

Rich,

From the outside appearances the Fleet and Ranger look real close in size except for the cab-over extension on the Ranger (see the two pics TT posted at http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2298 ).

It doesn't sound like you're interested but I'll add that there's a Ranger listed on craigslist in the Magnolia district of Seattle at: http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/1280998250.html It's been listed for a while at $4K so they might come down some....

I can sure relate to not wanting to take on another project after a house renovation...we're in the middle of one now and it's not letting me play nearly as much as I'd like :p

Happy Trails!
'birds

Rich,

I can sure relate to not wanting to take on another project after a house renovation...we're in the middle of one now and it's not letting me play nearly as much as I'd like :p

Happy Trails!
'birds

Ditto here..Driving me nuts!!! Need to get out and about badly..

Add me to the list. I have the Master bath torn down to studs and a new sink/toilet/whirlpool sitting in the corner looking me in the face day after day....

and the house needs painted....

and ...um....I own 2 more houses...like a NUT.....one of which is a 15 year long construction project that is 90% complete (log home)....

and we just bought another house in New Mexico...fortunately...in fairly good shape...

also add me to the list of folks who doesn't get out as much as he'd like....and I'm right here in the middle of it! :rolleyes::eek::D

could be worse tho....yup.

mtn

Back
Top Bottom