Canadian Maritimes

Great stuff folks, thanks ! Am following, with interest.

Couple of thoughts from this thread... re no see um netting, we opted to simply hand sew a sheet of netting into the camper window mesh. easier than sewing/removing a velco frame but it is permanent and does reduce airflow quite noticeably.

re the trans lab hwy: not clear on the OPs bandwidth availability but ... ADVrider website has a number of trip reports/info - try search 'TLH'. As I understand it, most of it is now paved, and some say, can be long and monotonous. :sneaky:

re Churchill falls controversy. not to be debbie downer, but I believe the resident Innu people have a different perspective. It does however, provide cheap generation for Hydro-Québec's power exports.

re: direction of travel. Mid summer may not matter but for shoulder I'd consider the seasonal weather. Lab City is quite a bit further north than Saint John. We hope to travel late summer- fall so will look at avg frost dates for eg. And then there's the lobster seasons to consider ...

kmcintyre said:
We're headed up that way early Sept. and will get some fly fishing in, etc. No real destinations other than PEI, NB, etc. and will definately monitor this thread!
Hey Kevin I just saw this post... somehow slipped past me. In NB we stayed at two places one was Deer Island ...short ferry over and Grand Manan island ...a bit longer ferry trip. Not sure the camp ground on the ledges is still open but it was real nice to be on the bluff looking at the water. The one on Deer island ... should you go there there is one site right before the entrance to the campground on the right. It is far away from all the other campers and has it's own beach. The sea food is great! I'll PM you about the video link you mentioned. I can do that but just go to the library to watch with their wifi,

We stayed on Deer Island about 15 years ago, I remember letting the high tide put out the campfire and listening to porpoises as we fell asleep. Great place.
We are heading back up there this July with the kid and kayaks, Stonington ME, then Deer Island and heading out to Grand Manan. Never been to Grand Manan, are their puffins or do you need to take a tour boat?

Well there are supposed to be and we saw lots of them at Meat cove in NS but when we hiked the cliffs in NB where they were supposed to be the fog pretty much blanked us out.... oh yeah... fog at night = fog horns..... bring ear plugs!

Hey Rob. Be sure to check out the entertainment at some of the local bars in Nfld. Always good for a laugh. There is some free camping along the cliffs near Cape St George and watch for the whales below. We changed our ferry to June 30th now ,maybe our paths will cross???

Could happen. At this point though we are looking at leaving here around the 16th of July. I think we will do the trip counter clockwise ending up coming home through Quebec. A friend went last August and one of his photos of Saint John there was a FWC there. Go figure.

We had a great puffin viewing experience at Elliston on the Bonovista Peninsula but boy, was it windy!

Attachments

• Puffins #1.jpg
    Puffins #1.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 92
A long while back we made the loop..also counter clockwise.....great country.

I was lucky enough to score a BridgeTour on the Vomit Comet ferry while underway......

They related cutting smack thru a smaller vessel early in the ferrys service.

As I recall they had stern side thrusters on that ferry that were essentially outboard motors with GIANT diesels...V12s I recall.

Hold on!

David Graves

Bonine.... incredibly good stuff. Crossed the Gulf of Alaska in nasty weather and 'maintained composure' ... not easy for me under those conditions!

buckland said:
Bonine.... incredibly good stuff. Crossed the Gulf of Alaska in nasty weather and 'maintained composure' ... not easy for me under those conditions!
Check your local pharmacies for “Meclizine” it’s the non-brand name for Bonine and Dramamine. The last time I bought any, it was about 1/10th the price of the branded products. Something like $10 per 100, versus a $1 for each tablet for the small containers. Be careful, it can be nap time in a hurry with these products, especially if you have an adult beverage.

I still have my AK supply. Ya one gets a tad floaty ... but that beats “riding the porcelain bus”!

buckland said:
Hey Kevin I just saw this post... somehow slipped past me. In NB we stayed at two places one was Deer Island ...short ferry over and Grand Manan island ...a bit longer ferry trip. Not sure the camp ground on the ledges is still open but it was real nice to be on the bluff looking at the water. The one on Deer island ... should you go there there is one site right before the entrance to the campground on the right. It is far away from all the other campers and has it's own beach. The sea food is great! I'll PM you about the video link you mentioned. I can do that but just go to the library to watch with their wifi,
Thanks. We'll be over in that area for about a month or so. Going to fly fish too!

I too will have the fly rod with me though will need to pop into a fly shop to match what's rising. It appears a short license is not cheap!

We decided on counter clockwise so will first night stay off Route 9 Maine on the Machias river ...there are free sites along some dirt roads off. We will stay the third and fourth night at Meat cove before taking the night ferry to Newfoundland.... but the halfway point for the second night is anywhere in the area between Amherst and Antigonish in Nova Scotia. Was wondering if any who have passed that way before know of a nice spot to camp quiet and perhaps walk on a beach or cliff?

I didn’t have a chance to do any fishing on my last trip to NS and New Brunswick.
I would dearly like to hear of your fishing adventures so that I have an idea of what and where to go on our next trip...

Just an update fir those that may decide to do a similar trip. We booked our ferry reservations today for third week of July and found a few of our first choice dates already booked. One added note is we wanted, as we are doing the midnight crossing and seas can be a tad rough.. we splurged for a cabin. Sleep. As we will have been camping for five nights the room has its own shower! Yes. Worth the price for rest and shower. So if you plan it might be a good idea to think ahead.

Rob. Smart move on the cabin. On our return last fall the rooms were all booked because we booked on short notice. Put our name on the waiting/ cancellation list and they called us shortly after departure for a room that became available. We made sure we booked early to get a room on the "longer " ferry this time. Your taking the Port aux Basque ferry right? How far east do you plan on going on the island?

Yes the Port aux Basque ferry from Sidney. Leaving it open but if you click on the map on the first page I hi-lighted the general route... though I am sure heading down the small roads to the sea wherever I can find a boondocks site wanting to just wander the east. We have a week in NS a week in NL and a week in Labrador/Quebec

Well mostly I will be hunting trout in streams. I carry usually a 5 and a 7 ...not perfect but covers the range I hope to be seeing.

Back
Top Bottom