Canopy Management - Wood Butcher at work

Wandering Sagebrush

Free Range Human
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Having blown out my back (twice) while unloading the truck canopy, and not always able to find a couple of people to help me, I decide to devise a lift to get the canopy on and off the truck so I can use the camper. It's basically a 2x6 frame, with a couple of stringers, and an old set of Reico hydraulic jacks. I use a small floor jack to get the canopy in the air, then slip the cross bars under it, attach the stringers, the jacks, lift it and drive out from under. The maiden voyage was this afternoon, and believe it or not... It worked. It isn't pretty, but it works. Best of all, my back is intact!!! :)

image.jpegimage.jpeg

Looks good to me, but I'd say that you missed a perfect opportunity to justify buying an 8N with a bucket attachment! :)

I don’t recall if I posted version 2 of the wood butchery, apologies if it’s a duplicate. This works much better than the hydraulic jack version. I bought two Brophy cable jacks, built a cross member to span the canopy, and a rolling cart for storing the canopy.

If doing it again, I would get three of the taller jacks to give it a more stable base. It takes about an 1-1/2 hours to lift it off, and roughly 1 hour to put it back on.

458B584B-2650-429F-BA6F-4D0151E5C2B8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom