CB's and truck campers?

Squatch

I know the '70s are over!

But seriously. I'm a 4 wheeler and they come in handy for trail communication. I also often travel in a small convoy to get to events with others. Having a CB for road communications between trucks is great. My other 2 trucks have them.

So who is using one in their truck and how did you deal with antenna mounting?

I have a cb and ham in the truck. Both magnet mount antennas. The snow run this weekend used cb and ham. It was a bit disconcerting trying to follow two different conversations.

I also have one in my Tacoma, for just another emergency tool and trail talk with others. Antenna is mounted on my ARB front bumper. Ron

LOL-- I probably shouldn't admit this but I have one of these in the van..... a Cobra 39LTD SOS Emergency CB.

I bought it toward the end of Reagan's first term for about $60.

CobraSOScb.jpg

(It still works. I just never took it out of the van. And, believe it or not, I occasionally use it to listen to the truckers when I get caught in interstate traffic backups.)

Ham only here, but I built a riser that bolts to the jack bracket to lift the antenna base to the height of the roof when latched down.

Sympathize with confusion from two different radios. I once did a run where we were on cb and FRS. I frequently lost track of whom I'd told what.

I have a Cobra 75 All in One) that I move between my Jeep and my truck camper. I have an FWC so it has Jackstand mounts. I just mounted a standard CB antenna mount to mount on the front driver side. I just run the cable out my back cab window. Easy to just move the radio back and forth just leaving the antennas in each vehicle hooked up. I know CB is Old School but still useful on a lot of trail runs and road trips.

I remember a trip back from Florida when I had my Defender and Fargo trailer listening to a trucker lecture his younger brethren on road courtesy like it was back in the 'old days'. His primary concern was a survey he had read that ranked truck drivers behind lawyers in popularity. ;)

Got both also, a Cobra 75 cb with the antenna on a drivers side fender mount, which are pretty easy to find, the the dual bander with a passenger side fender mount. Took a while to find that one, seems the only people making it are a same company in Canada.

The CB antenna is a 4' Firestik on a spring, sticks up about 4" higher than the camper, makes a great overhead warning system.

I've been real the cheap cobra 19DX I have in my Trooper. $50 for the radio and I use a 4' steel whip on a spring mounted on the roof rack. I was breaking the glass ones. SWR set up great on it and it gets out pretty good.

I have a spare 4' whip and spring. I was thinking either a front fender mount or mounting to the jack bracket on the camper.

Back
Top Bottom