Cerro Gordo

takingatrip1

Advanced Member
Hi guys, I was wondering if any of you had taken a full size pick up / hawk camper combo up to Cerro Gordo.

I've looked at some photos and videos and it seems like its pretty much a 2 wheel drive dirt road. There does look like there's an extremely narrow shelf area that might be a little sketchy.

Anyone ?

I've not traveled it personally in a full size but my first trip up there was with a group and a couple members did have full size rigs. You will be fine. I wouldn't call it a 2wd road and the Swansea side is definitely a 4x4 road. If you go up make sure to head over to the Saline Valley Salt Tram Crossover Station. Awesome country. When are you planning on going?

It's been several years for me but there will be no issues for you unless something has changed drastically.

We have made the trip many times. If we are taking "first-timers" to the eastern Sierras or Death Valley we almost always take them up to Cerro Gordo (or at least part way up, depending on time) because the views to the west of Owens Lake and the Sierras are spectacular, especially early in the day when the rising sun highlights the mountains. You should have no trouble with your full-sized rig. However, my recommendation would be to stop at the Eastern Sierra Interagency Visitors Center (intersection of highways 395 and 136) just south of Lone Pine and ask about current conditions.

Agreed...you shouldn't have a problem. I haven't made the trip with the camper on but would not hesitate to. As a matter of personal preference I roll in 4High on that road and similar, but think it isn't necessary. Offer the caretaker some cash and you may get a more extensive tour. Or I'm just a dupe that gave money for what I could have gotten for free...

Based on several friend's semi-recent traversing of the Swansea route I would strongly advise against taking a full size up it. Inyo NFS/OHV folks (volunteers?) up there in UTV's on a survey encountered my friends and were surprised at their making it thru in an Early Bronco and a DC Taco.

We were up there last year with our Cummins TD/Phoenix. Accessed via the Keeler route and while I used low range to take a load off the trans it wasn't a requirement. I asked Cerro Gordo's caretaker about the Swansea Route and he looked petrified that I might be thinking to take our full size over it. I assured him that I wasn't thinking that at all, just curious about conditions.

Cerro Gordo road is a freeway, 2WD all the way to Cerro Gordo. If you decide to go on across to the Salt Tram Summit station, its doable. The 1mi section called the "shelf road" is super narrow, as in, one way only. If you encounter someone, someone is backing up. Once past that, its a mild 4WD road all the way to the summit.

You can go out the back way, from Cerro Gordo, out to Lee Flat, (Saline Valley Rd.),then south back to 190. That whole road is a leisurely stroll.

Swasea - We have taken full size Dodge 2500 CTD's over that route countless times. If you not an experienced offroader, then avoid it. There is another nasty section, that if you not careful, you can get some nice rock rash. Also, its one way through that section.

When was the last time you took a CTD over the Swansea route? My Info is direct from the drivers and is about a year old.

Yep, I have been up it many times. You can go over to the east side and down to Lee's Flat. Either way, it is easy on a full size. I use my Dodge 2500. It's handy to have a manual trans rather than using brakes on the way down. It's steep!

I can see that i have more wandering to do. I've only gone up from Keeler. Now I feel bad that my lack of knowledge may have led to someone's calamity. Sorry to OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Wander The West

ntsqd said:
When was the last time you took a CTD over the Swansea route? My Info is direct from the drivers and is about a year old.
We took 2 CTD's over Swansea in 2015....one stock with 33" tires, another with a Doug Thuren 3" lift and 35's. It was slow going for the stock truck, but seemed to us, just another day on the Swansea :)

On reviewing their pics I would say that I've no desire to try it in our CTD, but that I can see where its likely possible. I don't think it advisable to anyone lacking breath and depth in off road driving skills.

Back
Top Bottom