Check my turnbuckle-ology for an upgrade

CreekRob

Advanced Member
Yes, I've searched. And read. And searched. Being on the waitlist gave me time. So many good ideas, but many won't work for me for various reasons.

Anywho, a new Hawk on Ram 2500. FWC wouldn't make any mods when installiing, and I know I'd going to hate checking a lot, especially since with a side dinette the passenger rear is a drag to get to.

And frankly looking at what FWC puts in I was skeptical. Since I do have some experience with big dynamic loads (climbing, sailing, offroad recovery, towing, yadda yadda) I just thought there must be better ways.

But rather than get exotic, I just swapped out for stainless double eye (not hooks) turnbuckles with lock nuts/washers on both sides, and similarly sized locking links. Breaking load is somewhere well north of 2k kg. I was going to go with the marine like turnbuckles with shackles, but it was just too hard to mess with the pin up in where they attach. Easy to do sort of quickdraw the links on and tighten down the gate.

Anyone foresee problems with this setup? Since the install is new I'm not sure I should bother tightening down the lock nuts and safety wiring the turnbuckles, since maybe there will be some stretch in the bed or something. Anyone have that happen? Or just lock it down now? I'll still check, and one nice thing is that I can see the links and turnbuckles; I can't see the top hooks in the factory install, and since they're a weak point that bugs me.

Thanks for any advice.

Rob

My experience with simply adding wing nuts to function as lock nuts on the right-hand-threaded side of my dealer-provided turnbuckles has been good. I have not had a turnbuckle back off and the locknuts remain tight. My camper sits on a 3/8” rubber bed mat, so it doesn’t move much.

I've done the same thing. Lock nut on both sides of the turnbuckle. No issues on my end.

Got rid of the turnbuckles and installed Torklift Fast Guns with treaded J-Bolts. Holds camper secure and never need adjustment after removing and reinstalling my Hawk.

BTW, I had to use a shackle on some because the lenghts weren't the same size from one side to the other, for the front one at least. The aft seemed to be the same.

Back
Top Bottom