Checking Iota charging with shore power

Make sure you have the silver "kill" switch pulled out so that the 12V system is enabled when charging with the Iota. Otherwise it won't charge the battery. Conversely, the solar charge controller will charge the battery regardless of the position of the kill switch.

I had the same problem. My inverter was plugged into the outlet on the back of the power panel that was wired to the bottom breaker which was labeled as "Not Used". Once I turned that breaker ON the Inverter started inverting.

Yes the kill switch was pulled out. I traced wire from Iota to fuse panel. It’s connected right next to battery wire at top of panel, so I think they are interlinked. Both wires had power when kill switch pulled out. I need to check power out of Iota. I’ve heard power will be less than 12 volts if there is no load on Iota. Is this true? I’ll check fuse’s also.
Thanks for the help guys.

I took mine out completely to bench test it. No load output voltage was 13.4 if I'm not mistaken. When I was reinstalling it is when I noticed how the outlet was wired on the back of the power panel. Good luck.

RAB said:
Yes the kill switch was pulled out. I traced wire from Iota to fuse panel. It’s connected right next to battery wire at top of panel, so I think they are interlinked. Both wires had power when kill switch pulled out. I need to check power out of Iota. I’ve heard power will be less than 12 volts if there is no load on Iota. Is this true? I’ll check fuse’s also.
Thanks for the help guys.
I just plugged into shore power for the first time last month. My Iota (from 2003) immediately kicked on a cooling fan and my volt meter rose to about 13.5V.

There are 2 circuit breakers for the IOTA on the ac panel. One is for shore power and the other is for the converter. The converter is what will charge the batteries, so make sure that one is on. The IOTA also has a fuse at the back of the unit, check that one and make sure it’s the correct size for your IOTA. The standard install in a FWC is the 30amp, however during a supply shortage they installed some 45amp units but fused them for 30amps so double check which unit and fuse you have.

I believe the output is 13.6v.

Dean

Hey RAB - curious to hear how pulling out the iota went. I’m thinking of replacing my IOTA DLS 45 (supplied by fwc in lieu of the DLS 30, due to Covid supply shortages) with a Victron IP22. Hesitant though, as it seems like it would be a pain in the ass to get the IOTA out (take off the whole cabinet wall?!).

Cheers,
Blake

Back
Top Bottom