Chevy 5.3L vs 6.2L ?

penner

Lots of time on my hands these days so I have been researching a few new pick-ups. Was pretty well set on the F-150 Crew ,6'6 box and 5L, but I have noticed there are a few Chev Trail Bosses around that are available at a good price. Has anyone here gone from the 5.3 to the 6.2 ?? Just wondering how they compare ??

My BIL has the 6.2 in his Centennial Edition Silverado. He loves it, claims 23+ mpg in daily driving, and it’s a rocket ship since it’s basically a Corvette engine. It has the 8-speed trans. Chevy highly recommends using premium fuel but I think BIL fills with 87. There are different anecdotal claims floating around out there. It’ll cost you $2k-$3k more to upgrade to this engine.

We have the 5.3 in our 2010 Suburban and I like it...a lot. “Just” a 6-speed trans but for a heavy vehicle it gets up and moves, mid to high teens for daily mpg, can get 20 on highway trips. I believe the Trail Boss comes standard with the 5.3 and a 10-speed trans that gets real good reviews , don’t quote me on the pairing. These days it isn’t always about just displacement but engine+trans+diff combos. These new transmissions really work well.

I also like the new Trail Boss but am interested in seeing what they do with a rumored ZR2-like edition for that truck.

Just got the dealer to send me a pic of the sticker inside the drivers door. "passengers and cargo not to exceed 1500 lbs" . That surprised me. I thought it would have been a few hundred lbs higher. oh well.

Back
Top Bottom