city water inlet leaking

Mthomas

Hi all,
New owner, only have two weekends under my belt, so everything is new to me at this point.

While loading up in the driveway last friday, I decided to hook up the city water connection just to see what that was like. I used an inline pressure regulator to avoid any overpressure issues. Heater filled, tested faucet in sink and external shower, everything worked fine.

I then removed hose, and put about 10 gallons into the water tank. I then opened the drain valve under the sink and opened the faucet to allow the water in the heater to drain back down into the holding tank while I loaded rest of weekend supplies. As far as I could determine by the sounds, this was successful.

Over the weekend, I noticed a persistent drip from the city water inlet when the water system was pressurized. It was enough to leave a largish, 1 foot in diameter, wet spot on the ground next to the truck. both mornings we were out. I kept wiping off the drip line on the side of the camper to see if it discontinued, but the leak persisted.

I also noted that the water pump was kicking on occasionally for a fraction of a second whenever the system was left pressurized, but not in use. This was what made me start looking for a small leak in the first place.

My question: is this normal behaviors? I do not recall seeing this before I tested the city water system. Is there some sort of check valve in the city water inlet to prevent back flow from the internal system when pressurized which may be stuck slightly open?

Anyone really torn into a more recent plumbing system? Any thoughts? I do have a call in to FWC, and will be calling the dealer i purchased from as well.

Mthomas said:
--snip--
I then removed hose, and put about 10 gallons into the water tank. I then opened the drain valve under the sink and opened the faucet to allow the water in the heater to drain back down into the holding tank while I loaded rest of weekend supplies. As far as I could determine by the sounds, this was successful.
--snip--
I also noted that the water pump was kicking on occasionally for a fraction of a second whenever the system was left pressurized, but not in use. This was what made me start looking for a small leak in the first place.
--snip--
Be sure you closed the water heater drain valve. Otherwise, the water pump keeps trying to fill the water heater but the it drains back to the tank.

Paul

When you pressurized do you mean having the water pump turned on? The water will kick on periodically for a short time even when you don't have the faucet turned on. There is a relief vent where you fill water into the tank. Did you replace the cap on both city water and the regular inlet?

PaulT said:
Be sure you closed the water heater drain valve. Otherwise, the water pump keeps trying to fill the water heater but the it drains back to the tank.

Paul
Paul that isn't completely right. You have to open the hot water faucet to fill the hot water tank or fill it through the city water inlet. When no faucet is opened, it is not uncommon for be the water pump to kick on. The pump isn't going to try to fill the hot water tank unless the hot water faucet is on. You can keep the lever open if you don't won't water in the hot water tank. jd

to clarify:
1. tested city water hookup in driveway, all worked fine, drain valve closed.
2. disconnected city water, filled water tank through normal fill opening with approx 10 gal water.
3. opened drain valve and faucet to empty hot water heater back into main water tank.
4. drove 4 hours.
5. At campsite, turned on built in water system, pump etc, drain valve closed, filled water heater, used system as self contained, all worked.
6. Noticed a small, but continuous leak from the city water connection on the outside of the camper for the entire time we were using camper until I depressurized the water system. I did turn off the water pump when not in use, but the system never fully depressurized until I intentionally vented it by opening the faucet and letting water run out with pump off.

Yes, there is a check valve to prevent camper water from back flowing out the city water inlet. It's built into the inlet itself, and I don't think you can repair it. You will need to replace the city water inlet. I used this when I rebuilt my FWC. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JPIPZZ8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
If you read the description, it states a check valve. There is also a check valve that prevents the city water from flowing into your camper tank.

Back
Top Bottom