Cleaning Cookware

Quint

Advanced Member
I was doing some camping recently and still haven't found an effective way to wash the pots/pans in the camper. I don't have a hot water heater nor a sink, just a shell model. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can disinfect the cookware. I usually use paper plates/plastic but obviously the cookware is metal. Thanks.

Quint,
We cook almost exclusively out doors. We heat the water on the camp stove and and use it but now there are any number of anti bacterial dish soaps available so even river water could be used if necessary.

I just pour some water in the dirty pots & pans, heat them up on the stove and when the water is hot, I add dish soap. Scrub and rinse away with more water. Simple and quick.

Without a stove, you could still purchase some small Coleman propane bottles and a single burner that screws onto the bottles and do the same process out on a picnic table or the ground. They're cheap, small to pack & lightweight.

clm-co5431-700g.jpg

cool site mark, looks like there is some interesting infor there...as for dishes, we take care of them similar to kc, we use a large tupperware as a wash basin, put the dirty dishes in there, warm water, soap and scrub. dump the water (always using ecofriendly soap) and rinse with clean/frexh water. usually do all this outside but have done it in the camper as well. these tupperware basins (basically a larger container) work great because you can also put you dishes in it when your done and use the lid as a cutting board!

We have the sink but hardly ever use it for doing dishes.

We carry two plastic tubs that happen to be exactly the right size to nest and fit in the camper sink for storage. As soon as dinner is cooked we put a pot of water on. Then, when we are ready to do dishes we have hot water. We put biodegradable soap in one and fresh rinse water in the 2nd. We usually do our cooking and cleanup outside. Then, dispose of the grey water away from camp. We carry a small strainer so as not to leave any chunks behind.

The Boy Scouts teach a 3 pot method where the 3rd basin has rinse water with a little bit of bleach mixed in to disinfect. I usually don’t bother with that step myself.

If we have a really grungy pot we will use that pot to boil the water in and loosen up the crud.

wow, a lot of good ideas....
May change the way I do things....

Here is what I do....
For myself in the shell without sink and running water, I usually use baby wipes to clean most things. If I have a really dirty pot (stew or curry...) I will use some hot water and soap to wash. Of course, scrub and rinse outside the camper. Dry with a quick-dry cloth.

If I am at an organized campsite or if I have tables and such set up, will wash in a folding bucket. Rinse with water. May spray with a water bleach solution and let air dry. Since it rains a lot up hear in WA state, sometimes can't do this.

Keep it simple, don't get a lot dirty you don't need to, and clean as you go. Amazing how simple things can be if I think ahead.....

Every now and again, I wish I had a sink with running water. This is true when my bro is using his and it is raining outside......

But then, hey, where is the fun?

dave

I bought a set of Teflon pots/pans just for the camper, when done cooking I wipe them out with damp paper towels. They end up clean as a whistle but I don't know about dissinfected:eek:

Cast Iron! We have a cheap 8" cast iron skillet. Yes, its heavy. But it never needs to be thoroughly cleaned - just wipe off crumbs and bits. The grease keeps it stick free and "seasoned". Can't use it with spicy foods though. I put it right in the fire on the coals. And it should be stored in something smell-proof in bear country, ant-proof and rodent-proof otherwise. Also carry non-stick fry pan and pots. Warm water and camp suds like the others already said usually does the trick. I'm getting good at aluminum foil cooking too- no pots/pans.

Sam said:
I bought a set of Teflon pots/pans just for the camper, when done cooking I wipe them out with damp paper towels. They end up clean as a whistle but I don't know about dissinfected:eek:
I got this from the CheapRVLiving site. Two spray bottles, one with water and one with cheap vodka. Spray and wipe with water then spray and wipe with vodka. The vodka will disinfect the cooking stuff. Vodka is good for disinfecting your tooth brush and other personal items. I've heard of people who have used vodka to disinfect ice cubes and tonic to make them safe to drink. :D

Mike

I always keep a 3gal bucket in the Hawk - heat up some hot water, and wash with a small scrub brush. The bucket is handy for picking up water and carrying back to the rig. To minimize cleanup I usually prepare food at home that just requires heating up - like chili, soup, spaghetti sauce, breakfast burritos, banana bread, etc. When I do cook breakfast I use an inexpensive $20 Walmart non stick pan. Usually cleans up with a quick wipe with a paper towel. Once the pan starts to loose its non-stickiness I just buy another one.

The dog idea has a lot of merit !!

craig333 said:
Now this is why I bring a dog along. They come out spotless.
You need to move that to the "I need to hear a joke" section! :) Our vet had us stop taking our dog, because he was gaining too much weight.

Russ

I really enjoy having my sink. Even if I don't fire up the water heater its only a few moments to heat up some water on the stove.

So use paper plates and cups, cook in caste iron frying pans and feed the dog some properly sampled vodka and throw in some cranberry juice to make everything nice and healthy! Problem solved :p !

Smoke

craig333 said:
I really enjoy having my sink. Even if I don't fire up the water heater its only a few moments to heat up some water on the stove.
Never used my sink. Took it out and wash dishes with water and a paper towel. I don't cook elaborate meals, most are done on a cast iron fry pan. Paper towels are key to my camper.

Our Alaskan has no grey water tank. We keep a small Rubbermaid dishpan in it for doing the dishes because the factory aluminum cools down the hot water too fast. No matter what we are making for breakfast, the coffee pot goes on first and by the time its ready, the camper is warmed up. Another large pot is used to heat dishwater for cleaning and for personal hygiene. What isn't used stays in the pot for the next time we need to heat water.

Back
Top Bottom