Coffee maker?

"Steaming Bean from Telluride roasts THE best bean in Colorado"

Mtn-high, we didn't get to try this on our recent trip. We will try not to make the same error again. Thanks for the tip.

"Steaming Bean from Telluride roasts THE best bean in Colorado"

Mtn-high, we didn't get to try this on our recent trip. We will try not to make the same error again. Thanks for the tip.

Telluride?? Must be $5 a cup!

More like $10 a pound for dark/oily/well-roasted bean, barko.

FYI, ski3...it's sold in many Western Colorado grocery stores. If ya shoot me a PM and an addy I'll mail ya some samples
smile.gif
if yer interested. Won't be like sippin fireside, but if ya close yer eyes you might get close...

otherwise, we'll keep a pot on 'til ya make it back in-state next.

be well

mtn

Just stumbled on this thread...What we've just started using is a new
"Aero Press". It's like a french press but uses a filter. It lowers
the acidity and IMHO makes a far better cup of coffee or expresso than
a standard French Press. It's plastic so not breakable. I now use one
at home and in the camper.

THANK YOU DELTARAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read your post and ordered an Aero Press from Isabellas for less than $40. shipped and with an extra packet of filters. It is absolutely amazing!!!!

It is close to near genius in design!!! You are THE Man (or The Rat) DeltaRat!!! The clean-up is the best I have ever seen and the coffee is smooth and perfection!!!!

I have been using it at home and just winging it with the recommended 175 degrees water. I need to buy a therometer and see how close I am to the 175 degrees. I can't imagine an improvement over the coffee I have been brewing with this AERO Press.

Thank you DELTARAT!!! What else can I learn from you before I head or the Yukon next July?

THANK YOU DELTARAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I read your post and ordered an Aero Press from Isabellas for less than $40. shipped and with an extra packet of filters. It is absolutely amazing!!!!

It is close to near genius in design!!! You are THE Man (or The Rat) DeltaRat!!! The clean-up is the best I have ever seen and the coffee is smooth and perfection!!!!

I have been using it at home and just winging it with the recommended 175 degrees water. I need to buy a therometer and see how close I am to the 175 degrees. I can't imagine an improvement over the coffee I have been brewing with this AERO Press.

Thank you DELTARAT!!! What else can I learn from you before I head or the Yukon next July?

Pretty enthusiastic! I guess I'll try one. I only make coffee for myself most mornings. I guess it makes concentrate and you add more hot water?? I was cooking noodles at 10,500' and wondered what the boiling point was there, about 192, no wonder they took longer. I guess with Aeropress the water temp is important so here is a chart.

31 in. Hg: 214 °F or 101.1 °C (at approx -1000 ft or -305 m below sea level)

30 in. Hg: 212.15 °F or 100 °C (at approx sea level)

29 in. Hg: 210.3 °F or 99.06 °C (at approx 1000 ft or 305 m above sea level)

28 in. Hg: 208.44 °F or 98.02 °C (at approx 2000 ft or 610 m above sea level)

27 in. Hg: 206.59 °F or 96.99 °C (at approx 3000 ft or 914 m above sea level)

25 in. Hg: 202.89 °F or 94.94 °C (at approx 5000 ft or 1524 m above sea level)

23 in. Hg: 199.19 °F or 92.88 °C (at approx 7000 ft or 2134 m above sea level)

21 in. Hg: 195.48 °F or 90.82 °C (at approx 10,000 ft or 3048 m bove sea level)

19 in. Hg: 191.78 °F or 88.77 °C (at approx 12,000 ft or 3658 m above sea level)

17 in. Hg: 188.07 °F or 86.71 °C (at approx 15,000 ft or 4572 m above sea level)

10 in. Hg: 175.11 °F or 79.51 °C (at approx 27,000 ft or 8230 m above sea level)

5 in. Hg: 165.85 °F or 74.36 °C (at approx 42,000 ft 12,802 m above sea level)

Thanks :rolleyes: Wasn't expecting that kind of response..They are kind of neat and cleanup is really easy..

Tell you what, I'll be in the Yukon next July and you can fix me a cup of that coffee..

Pretty enthusiastic! I guess I'll try one. I only make coffee for myself most mornings. I guess it makes concentrate and you add more hot water?? I was cooking noodles at 10,500' and wondered what the boiling point was there, about 192, no wonder they took longer. I guess with Aeropress the water temp is important so here is a chart.

10 in. Hg: 175.11 °F or 79.51 °C (at approx 27,000 ft or 8230 m above sea level)

I, too, got an AeroPress based on Deltarat's tip (and other online research). Very nice.
I use an instant-read thermometer to make sure the water temperature is correct -- 175°F.
Of course, based on Barko's figures, if you were brewing near the summit of Everest it would be much more convenient -- just boil it, no thermometer necessary.
biggrin.gif

I use one of these and really enjoy it. Bombproof too.

http://www.peak62.com/search/itemno/79450/

79450d.jpg

I also use an old Italian machine for espresso.

Agreed on the Bean. Velvet Hammer is my absolute favorite.

Just stumbled on this thread...What we've just started using is a new
"Aero Press". It's like a French press but uses a filter. It lowers
the acidity and IMHO makes a far better cup of coffee or expresso than
a standard French Press. It's plastic so not breakable. I now use one
at home and in the camper.

Thanks Deltarat, brought an aero press,been using it almost every day for the last two weeks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or the French press. :D

Cheers,

Kevin.

OK. I like my "fancy" coffee. I became hooked on espresso and Moka coffee makers after a trip to Italy a few years back.

I use the Bialetti Moka six cup in the morning with frothed milk (frother is a stainless cup with the screen thing in it)
That gives me and the lady 3 shots each.

In the afternoon I used a Bialetti Brika - closer to espresso because of 1.5 bar pressure. I drink a shot or two straight up.
I use Lavazza espresso grind coffee which comes in bricks - easy storage.

Hi bushboy66, thanks for the info on the Bialetti Mokka and Brikka. I brought a Mokka a couple of weeks ago and have been using it in the evenings after supper,smooth rich coffee m!m!m!m!m! Perfect. I also just sent for a Brikka 4 cup and am looking forward to trying it out.

Thanks again, :D

Kevin.

Thanks Deltarat, brought an aero press,been using it almost every day for the last two weeks it's the greatest thing since sliced bread or the French press. :D
Cheers,
Kevin.

Hey Kevin: Just wondering if you're using your AeroPress to make it straight -- like espresso strength -- or if you're diluting it to Americano strength...?
I've used mine both ways -- both good...but different.

anyone remember tossing in coffee, then after its boiled a while tossing in egg shells and cold water? Starting to wonder if we really drank coffee that way or my mind is going.

anyone remember tossing in coffee, then after its boiled a while tossing in egg shells and cold water? Starting to wonder if we really drank coffee that way or my mind is going.

Sounds like what's called "cowboy coffee" or "hobo coffee" -- the kind made in a plain pot sitting on a campfire.

Did 'we' drink it that way? Maybe in a past life... :D

I have a "coffee kit" that I keep next to the rear door. In all but the worst weather, I boil water outside the camper in an old Mirro coffee pot, using a Coleman one-burner stove. Half the water goes through the Melita into my large travel mug; the rest of the water is used for my wife's tea in her travel mug. The whole operation takes only five to seven minutes. Works very well for us.

Hey Kevin: Just wondering if you're using your AeroPress to make it straight -- like espresso strength -- or if you're diluting it to Americano strength...?
I've used mine both ways -- both good...but different.

Hi Mark, I use it both ways,Americano in the morning,Espresso in the evening. I have filled it up to the level 4 and pushed it through, it comes out weaker than Americano. It is a great piece of Kit as the Poms and Aussies would say. :cool:
Cheers,
Kevin.

Hi craig, what were the eggshells for an early form of antacid ( Tums-Calcium ) because the coffee was so bad or because you would swallow to many grounds. :D
Cheers,
Kevin.

I don't know. I have a vague recollection that says they make the grounds settle?

We used to make horrible camp coffee on one of my annual trips. People started making their own ( i just added baileys, fixes any coffee) and even after we finally figured out how to make good coffee people still won't even try it.

Kind of funny, you can toss a handful of dirt in someones beer and they'll still drink it, coffee isn't perfect and all hell breaks loose.

I don't know. I have a vague recollection that says they make the grounds settle?

We used to make horrible camp coffee on one of my annual trips. People started making their own ( i just added baileys, fixes any coffee) and even after we finally figured out how to make good coffee people still won't even try it.

Kind of funny, you can toss a handful of dirt in someones beer and they'll still drink it, coffee isn't perfect and all hell breaks loose.

Coffee is a very personal thing. I hate Starbucks coffee or at least the ones I've tried they are way to bitter but give me a pint of well poured Guinness and I am a happy man

Cheers,

Kevin.

Maybe that's the difference between a depressant and a stimulant
wink.gif

I am from the old school...

images

Farberware Yosemite

X2. Im use a GSI Cinical percolaror, and fill my thermos with what I don't drink.
Cleanup is a tiny bit more involved, but there's less to throw away, too.

Back
Top Bottom