Coffee maker?

What do you guys use for a coffee pot? I am looking at 12 volt coffee pots, but the reviews I read about them say they don't work well and take far too long. I was also considering an inverter to power a regular coffee pot. My inverter is only a 400 watt with 800 peak and our coffee pot is 650 watts. May need to look at other inverters.Any suggestions?

http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/flash-java-kit-cooking-system.html

No inverter or electric needed. Faster too.

Check out this WtW thread.

I have a french press, a percolator, a cone drip and now an Aeropress. The only one i use any more is the Aeropress. Grind fresh roasted beans with the Hario, brew with the Aeropress, and life is good. Cleanup is easy, too.

My vote: No pot -- just a kettle to boil water on the stove, then pour over coffee in a Melitta-type cone with filter.
And since highz already directed you to the already-existing similar thread, that's it! :)

Gotta have my coffee and I like it hot, so I don't use my French press anymore. Besides, clean-up takes too much time and water. These days I just boil water in a convenient pot with whatever camp stove I'm using and pour it through a cone holding coffee in a paper filter. Strength of final brew is determined largely by the grind of the roasted bean. A #3 grind makes really good coffee without using too many grounds, but the drip gets really slow toward the end (oz. 9-12) and I loose patience waiting, plus it cools off. Number 4 grind seems to be a pretty good compromise. ;)

I've tried them all and now It's just pour some Nescafe Clasico into the cup and add boiling water.

At night it's half Nescafe, half Swiss Miss and a shot of Hornitos. Mmmmmmm now that's coffee momma.

I use a thermal (insulated) french press that I picked up at REI. Affordable, makes a lot of coffee, and keeps the coffee hot for a long time.

I used to use a the Coleman Coffeemaker that you set on a campstove when I tent camp. I use a Coleman Portable Propane Coffeemaker with a stainless steel carafe and tranfer the hot coffee to a thermos now. I also have a old fashion coffee perculator that you put on the burner in the camper when it is too cold to get out of the camper in the morning. Only problem with it tho, is of course no matter how careful you are it still has grinds end up in the coffee. This is what I use:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Portable-Propane-Coffeemaker-Stainless/dp/B004E4AVPW

Alright!.....Thanks for all the replies. Can't believe I didn't do a thread search first. Anyway, I have decided that I am just going to throw the coffee beans in my mouth and chew. No cleanup required! In the evenings, I'll follow it up with a shot of Hornitos.

Actually, after reading your posts, and doing a little research on the net, we went out and bought an Areopress. Just used it this AM. It certainly makes fine coffee, but in my limited experience, it seems to use about twice as much coffee as our drip at home, to get the same strength, but is fine for camp. I am sure I need to tinker with it some more. Cleanup IS easy. I must say, though that the REI french press sounds like a good option too.

I have decided that I am just going to throw the coffee beans in my mouth and chew.

Yeah!
I've always thought that "cowboy coffee" should be a pinch of grounds between the cheek and gum -- like chew.
biggrin.gif

Yeah!
I've always thought that "cowboy coffee" should be a pinch of grounds between the cheek and gum -- like chew.
biggrin.gif

On a backpacking trip some years ago in the Grand Canyon, I suggested to my wife that we go as light as possible and not bring a stove. "But what about coffee?" she said. I told her we could bring chocolate covered expresso beans. So we tried it. It just ain't the same! Not recommended.

Yeah!
biggrin.gif

Well, you all got me thinking about cowboy coffee and a simpler way to approach life's little pleasures. I had heard of various ways of making cowboy coffee. This is the simplest I found with a little Internet poking about.

Cowboy Coffee

I will give this try this afternoon.

Alright!.....Thanks for all the replies. Can't believe I didn't do a thread search first. Anyway, I have decided that I am just going to throw the coffee beans in my mouth and chew. No cleanup required! In the evenings, I'll follow it up with a shot of Hornitos.

Actually, after reading your posts, and doing a little research on the net, we went out and bought an Areopress. Just used it this AM. It certainly makes fine coffee, but in my limited experience, it seems to use about twice as much coffee as our drip at home, to get the same strength, but is fine for camp. I am sure I need to tinker with it some more. Cleanup IS easy. I must say, though that the REI french press sounds like a good option too.

Try a finer grind with your Aeropress to boost the strength. I also let things sit for at least three minutes after adding the water.

Well, you all got me thinking about cowboy coffee and a simpler way to approach life's little pleasures. I had heard of various ways of making cowboy coffee. This is the simplest I found with a little Internet poking about.

Cowboy Coffee

I will give this try this afternoon.

That's the way I have done it in a pinch. Grandma taught me that many years ago.

Try a finer grind with your Aeropress to boost the strength. I also let things sit for at least three minutes after adding the water.

Yes, we did use a fine grind on the second try. We'll try a longer brew time next.

I agree about the "finer grind", as Aeropress recommends....
But speaking of recommendations, isn't 3 minutes waaaay longer than Aeropress recommends? Too long → "over-extraction" → excess bitterness.

If your priority is the best tasting coffee possible then you're going to have to use more coffee (beans) per cup. If you contact the water with more coffee for less time then you'll get strong good-coffee flavor without over-extraction which pulls bad-tasting stuff from the beans. If you read all the background/theory stuff about Aeropress, that's why they recommend the use of significantly-lower-than-212°F water at a very short contact time -- to avoid over-extraction.

I'm not saying you should do that or that I always do that, but that's the recommendation of coffee experts...and it makes sense to this chemical engineer.
wink.gif

What do you guys use for a coffee pot? I am looking at 12 volt coffee pots, but the reviews I read about them say they don't work well and take far too long. I was also considering an inverter to power a regular coffee pot. My inverter is only a 400 watt with 800 peak and our coffee pot is 650 watts. May need to look at other inverters.Any suggestions?

I started with boiling water and using Folgers Singles, then went to 12v drip, then went to perculator. The one I stay with is the perculator, cheap, easy and fast. My 12v was a joke - took forever!! Folger Singles are pretty fast and easy but more expensive.

My luck:

I would hit my leg whilst swinging the large bucket of coffee and have to get hospitalized for 3rd degree burns. YeeeHaw!

Excellent demo.

Back
Top Bottom