Coffee maker

Mongo

What do you guys use? Gas, 110 off a power inverter? I was looking at these 2:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001K7IDVU?pc_redir=1397363967&robot_redir=1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FN3HZ84?pc_redir=1397374609&robot_redir=1

I will have 110v a lot of places I camp because I'll need to charge boat battery's, but if I ever dry camp the gas seems like a real winner. The auto on program feature is real nice for the electric though. Coffee maker serves as a really nice alarm IMO. I don't have any knowledge about the 12v options.

Big discussion on Coffee here in Camp cooking food and beer.

I use this, good friend gave it to me. Revere coffee pot older that me and I am retired.
1836922_10202208818478204_4258894295719138045_o.jpg

IMHO ... keep it real simple. That Melitta pour over works awesome and makes a great brew. It takes up little space, its cheap, and won't break.

Ramblinman said:
IMHO ... keep it real simple. That Melitta pour over works awesome and makes a great brew. It takes up little space, its cheap, and won't break.
Wandering Sagebrush said:
One more Melita believer here. We use the number 6 cone that fits into a thermos or carafe. Very little mess, the coffee stays hot.

http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Manual-Coffee-Carafes-Thermos/dp/B000BUDDTY/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397522212&sr=8-5&keywords=melitta+6+filter+holders
Yup -- me, too!

And, as billharr says, there's a long and ongoing thread on this subject here:
The new coffee thread, with lots of other ideas to check out.

I've decided to try the Melitta way. Ordered a 32 ounce carafe. Question is how much coffee to put in? I could just experiment but I'd rather not.

I tried the french press, even though it was highly rated I didn't like it at all. My Bialetta works well, I just don't care for taste all that much.

We use a jetboil and a coffee press. You are drinking away in the time it takes for the optimal press wait (5 mins?).

craig333 said:
I've decided to try the Melitta way. Ordered a 32 ounce carafe. Question is how much coffee to put in? I could just experiment but I'd rather not.

I tried the french press, even though it was highly rated I didn't like it at all. My Bialetta works well, I just don't care for taste all that much.
Craig, we use three generous serving spoons full of french roast per liter. I am guessing that it is the equivalent of about six heaping tablespoons. The spoon won't stand up in a cup, but it does get a bit stiff when stirring :D . It doesn't take long for the water to filter through, and the coffee stays hot. Just dump the filter and grounds in the trash when it's done. :)

BTW, we use a beat up old Stanley thermos, not a carafe.

Steve

craig333 said:
I've decided to try the Melitta way. Ordered a 32 ounce carafe. Question is how much coffee to put in? I could just experiment but I'd rather not....
Most "experts" recommend 2 level tablespoons per 6 ounces of coffee.
So for a 32 oz batch that means use 2/3 measuring-cup of coffee. :eek:

Some years ago I happened to read the "how to brew" instructions printed on the side of a bag of some brand of coffee (maybe "Seattle's Best") bought at a supermarket, and it said "2 tablespoons coffee per 6 oz water".
That shocked me, so I checked the source of all truth and wisdom -- the Internet. Starbucks website recommended "2 tablespoons coffee per 6 oz water".
Hmmm...but those are companies in business to sell as much coffee as possible, so of course they recommend using excessive amounts! :rolleyes:
So I found a site that's all-about-coffee -- maybe the ultimate coffee website: CoffeeReview.com
They have page after page about coffee history and lore and reviews. On their page called "Brewing: Brewing Tips" they recommend: "2 level tablespoons or 1 standard coffee measure per 5- to 6-ounce cup".
OK, OK -- I'm convinced!
(they gave much, much, more detail, beyond that simple recommendation, including variations based on how you brew it)

And I do like it strong.

But, of course, you should brew to your particular taste. :) So that means, sorry Craig, you may have to actually do a little experimenting. ;)

Join the club :D , the only way to drink coffee-the Miletta way- one cup at a time (unless you are making it for more than one) :) ! You too can become an expert like MarkBC,& learn things you never knew about coffee and do it the right way ;) . Me- I'm lazy, just pour it in the filter 'till the smell is right (it sort of bounces back up to your nose as you pore it) and the pile of coffee has a nice mound to it :p !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
...You too can become an expert like MarkBC,& learn things you never knew about coffee and do it the right way...

Smoke
I'm NOT a coffee expert -- I just know how to find "expert opinions" on the Internet! :ninja:

But as a chemical engineer, I can give you a reason why it's better to err towards brewing "too strong" rather than "too weak": You can fix "too strong" by just adding a little hot water. To fix "too weak" you'd need a reverse-osmosis unit.

And here's what you need to drink from.... a skcubratS paper cup...

My daughter is very good with crafts, and made a Starbucks stamp to mark her paper cups. Unfortunately, she had never done anything with print, so of course when she copied it verbatim, it printed in reverse. I like eeffoC skcubratS better... :giggle:

13907798734_e7e4fcbae6_c.jpg

kmcintyre said:
We use a jetboil and a coffee press. You are drinking away in the time it takes for the optimal press wait (5 mins?).
Same here. Boiling water on the stove takes way longer than a jetboil. No worries about 12v or 110v.

Well, we differ here, a slow boil on the stove means more time to smell the coffee in the filter cone-got to enjoy the whole experience-faster sometimes is not always better-but again, retired folk take our time, you know smell the roses :D !

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
Well, we differ here, a slow boil on the stove means more time to smell the coffee in the filter cone-got to enjoy the whole experience-faster sometimes is not always better-but again, retired folk take our time, you know smell the roses :D !

Smoke
Many times these little rituals are what matters. :)

Sure do Ski :) ! Watching those beautiful clouds and that blue sky outside roll on by, from the deck right now, no speed needed here! Don't think I could ever be a flat lander again! But I would rather smell that coffee, simmering long and slow, sort of like smelling a day long Thanksgiving turkey or a good roast leg of lamb cook all day :p . Well this is still close to the original subject so it's not a steal right ;) ?

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom