Converter

Toddhom

Advanced Member
My 2004 Eagle does not have a converter or inverter. I am upgrading the electrical system and I am wondering, do I get a combo inverter/converter or two separate components?

Empty Eagle Shell Model ?

All normal Eagle Models (built models, with a sink, stove, Ice Box, couch, etc.) built in 2002 or newer, came standard with the IOTA 30 amp power converter.

Stan. Where would the converter be located? My camper has a shore plug connection but it appears to go directly to a recepticle by way of an electrical panel with two breakers. As far as I can tell my camper was set up to run off the vehicle battery.

It would be inside the kitchen cabinets, under the sink. (see attached pic)

The other thing I have seen over the years, if you bought the camper used, your camper could be a 2001 or older, and whoever you bought it from told you it was newer than it is. :(

If your camper has a white interior (white interior walls), and white folding end panels that allow the roof to go up and down, it is a 2001 or older and won't have the built in IOTA power converter.

Attachments

• Converter (older) 2.JPG
    Converter (older) 2.JPG
    98.9 KB · Views: 78
White interior and lift panels is what I have. Thanks for the info. I’m pretty sure the lady who sold it to me was told it was a 2004

Toddhom said:
My 2004 Eagle does not have a converter or inverter. I am upgrading the electrical system and I am wondering, do I get a combo inverter/converter or two separate components?
Most of us have gone separate. Iota is decent, but if you want more flexibility to change battery chemistry then consider the Victron line of products for your battery charger (converter) and size your inverter for the AC loads you intend to support.

Keep in mind, that the standard 75AH AGM battery many of these campers can't support big 120v appliances for very long at all. Most of us have inverters big enough to support camera charging and laptop use only, so less than 1000W. A 1000W load will run down that 75AH AGM in less than 30 minutes.

Also note that the IOTA 30 amp power converter only charges the auxiliary battery and provides pass-through access to 120VAC when connected to shore power. It will not invert DC battery power to AC when unplugged from shore power. If you're going to replace it I would consider a charger/inverter combo with the correct charging profile for your auxiliary battery. If you're currently using a AGM battery then consider getting one that will also charge lithium for a later upgrade path.

Back
Top Bottom