Cooking INSIDE your rig. Yes or No ?

I had a request to keep rally related shenanigans to the rally thread which I think is reasonable so I cleaned up the thread a bit (including deleting my own off-topic remark)

I cook inside my camper all the time....but I run the Fantastic fan when doing so. So far, I haven't had any lingering food odors.

Marc, I didn't know you could boil those seal-a-meal bags. I may have to invest in one of those machines.

Marc, I didn't know you could boil those seal-a-meal bags. I may have to invest in one of those machines.

A lot of commerical food at restaurants comes pre-cookesd in those seal-a-meal type packages. They just drop them in boiling water and dump it on your plate.

All the bag brands I have purchased are rated for boiling, microwaving and reusing (the bags get smaller everytime you cut them open, but they can be washed and resealed). They are pretty sweet - I always thought they were a gimmick, until I got one and used it.

I cook inside my camper all the time....but I run the Fantastic fan when doing so. So far, I haven't had any lingering food odors.

Yeah; those are great.
When I freeze food I always use them; since it sucks out all the air and gives you a longer shelf life.

Just make sure you get the right ones which you can boil. They have a special coating which doesn't off gas when you boil your food in a bag.

Yeah; those are great.
When I freeze food I always use them; since it sucks out all the air and gives you a longer shelf life.

Just make sure you get the right ones which you can boil. They have a special coating which doesn't off gas when you boil your food in a bag.

Ugly Scout and Marc,

I don't mean to hijack this thread....but please give your recommendations on which machine to buy.....and which bags too.

I might even bring this machine along on trips as a means of keeping left overs and a handy means to reheat them. I don't have a microwave out in the boonies to reheat leftovers.

Greetings~!

Just checked in the kitchen on the unit we use purchased at our local Costco...

"Food Saver V3825" that came out earlier this year. Very nice machine. We have many of the accessory items such as the sealing-continers/jars and such. We use it several times a week around the house for stuff and we will spend a day or so preparing meals before going out on a mini-adventure, freeze what needs to be frozen and pop in the YETI on the morning of departure...usually will remain frozen up to about 5 days with blue-ice in the YETI in our mild PNW temps (mid 70's summer time).

----just came home from a trip to Portland and picked up a 4 quart dutch oven at the Wholesale Sports location in Vancouver...now i don't need a 1ton to haul the 8 quart D.O. around ; )

Cheers,
Thom

Greetings~!

Just checked in the kitchen on the unit we use purchased at our local Costco...

"Food Saver V3825" that came out earlier this year. Very nice machine. We have many of the accessory items such as the sealing-continers/jars and such. We use it several times a week around the house for stuff and we will spend a day or so preparing meals before going out on a mini-adventure, freeze what needs to be frozen and pop in the YETI on the morning of departure...usually will remain frozen up to about 5 days with blue-ice in the YETI in our mild PNW temps (mid 70's summer time).

----just came home from a trip to Portland and picked up a 4 quart dutch oven at the Wholesale Sports location in Vancouver...now i don't need a 1ton to haul the 8 quart D.O. around ; )

Cheers,
Thom

That's the one!!!!!!!!!!! Food Saver V3825 Bags are from same company.

Costco Rocks.....

We have a food saver brand unit as well. BUT I don't like it, it has been a lemon I think.... I need to take it back and get a new one.

I have just recently switched to a Palomino Bronco 1251 and have only used it on a few short trips and mainly cooked outside on a electric fry pan and crock pot ... have not done dry camping yet but since i only have a 3 burner gas stove will have to learn that skill so am interested in every ones comments. Before the Truck Camper we had a 27ft travel trailer but after my wife passed did not want to pull the trailer by myself so switched. Am looking forward to some long journeys this summer ... Hate the Gas Prices !!!

Welcome Danny. My condolences about your wife. I hope any advice we can offer here helps in your adjustment to a truck camper.

A very important tip when using a Foodsaver type machine---
Place a rolled up paper towel inside the bag, between the food and the seal strip. Otherwise, moisture gets sucked out across the seal area. This will ruin the machine and prevent a good seal. The paper towel absorbs the moisture before it reaches the sealing strip.

Make sense?? Those who have vacuum packed food know what I'm talking about.

I have sealed hundreds of pounds of Tuna successfully. But that sealing strip must be absolutely dry for the heat to seal it.

~DR

My primary reason for getting a camper -- after decades of camping in a tent and canopy and cooking on the tailgate of my truck -- was to be able to cook inside.
I camp in the winter and other times when it's cold/windy, and I got tired of it taking forever for a wind-blown Coleman stove to boil water, etc.
I almost never cook outside now unless I'm using my little Weber table-top gas grill.

My views and reasons for both getting a FWC and cooking inside agree with MarkBC; to many years of freezing in the wind while trying to keep a fire going or laying under the camper shell with the dog, some wood and my gear while "enjoying" a beer! I decided to get a FWC on a windy, cold fall day at Westport Landing State Beach. I sitting by my pathetic fire with my dog "Babe" in a rainstorm and already had moved my truck several times trying to block the wind from knocking my tent down again, all while trying to drink a cold beer and wondering about my sanity in my efforts of enjoying mother nature on my vacation, when a camper pulled into the cg (I was the only one there); stopped and the driver got out, looked at me, then let his dog out to pee, climbed into the back of his camper, and soon came back out with a cup of coffee, sat on a picnic table, drank it, got back in his rig and drove away! That was it, when I got back to Suzieville, my course was set, and soon, all those wilderness experiences were replaced with trying to figure out how the frig worked, :LOL: and how to keep my ice trays filled so I could enjoy my vodka/cranberry drinks. Another quick example, right after getting my FWC, went up to the lake and two friends stopped by to see my new rig and have a beer or two. The wind kept forcing us to change positions around the truck; after several changes, I, being a smart fellow, suddenly realized hey, let's get out of the wind and get in the new camper! 3 guys, and 2 dogs (mind liked the wind and stayed out side) & were soon enjoying a wind free beer-and "oh" let me turn on my heater-and a new world was opened to us- and I've never looked back-I deserve my new comfort!

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom