Cost to maintain and own a FWC? Realistically...

Thanks guys!

It looks like we are going the path of a new 2014 Fleet shell with a stove/furnance and the side dinette. We also aren't too sure we want to maintain a fridge and water system. Pretty excited to get it in a few weeks when we start our summer trip out in WY.

We've found it nice not needing ice. Have also liked the sink and outside shower and quick access to hot water.

shear said:
...We also aren't too sure we want to maintain a fridge and water system....
What maintenance are you expecting with a fridge? Really, there's little to none:
  • If it's a propane fridge, then maybe every couple years clean the burner nozzle.
  • If it's a DC-compressor fridge then there's no maintenance.
  • Unless, by "maintain" you mean that you need to supply the fridge with propane or electricity...?

A water system is a little more than nothing:
  • Drain it in the freezing season.
  • Clean it with bleach if it's been not used for a long time.

MarkBC said:
What maintenance are you expecting with a fridge? Really, there's little to none:
  • If it's a propane fridge, then maybe every couple years clean the burner nozzle.
  • If it's a DC-compressor fridge then there's no maintenance.
  • Unless, by "maintain" you mean that you need to supply the fridge with propane or electricity...?

A water system is a little more than nothing:
  • Drain it in the freezing season.
  • Clean it with bleach if it's been not used for a long time.
Those are all good points. I have never had a camper before...and have only ever slept on a platform in the bed of my truck for going on 5 years now 3 months every year. I guess I'm more nervous than anything about having so many things attached to the truck is all. Thanks for the info!

shear said:
Those are all good points. I have never had a camper before...and have only ever slept on a platform in the bed of my truck for going on 5 years now 3 months every year. I guess I'm more nervous than anything about having so many things attached to the truck is all. Thanks for the info!
My opinion only: If you're trying to go minimalist to save money, that's one thing. But if you're trying to go minimalist to reduce potential for complications, well, these things aren't that complicated -- that's my point.

For me the water system is more of a hassle than it is for some people, because where I live and when/where I camp there's a large part of the year -- maybe the majority -- there's a good chance (or a certainty) of freezing. But I'm still glad I have the water system, even if I can't use it all the time.

Shear,
You can always add a counter and a sink with a 3gal bottle below counter (like in a basic tent trailer) and hand pump faucet.
And a portable compressor refrigerator like ours when you get tired of hauling ice chests.

Camp in it for awhile then make changes to personalize it as as needed.

Well...we just committed to the Fleet. FWC are willing to add on a rollover couch to the existing shell that the dealer in Jackson had already ordered, so we are a go. Opted for that over the dinette for more storage. Incredibly nervous and excited as this is a pretty big purchase for us. This site definitely gave me the courage to commit...so thanks!

Thanks! My next question is how comfortable are the cushions on the bed? My current mattress in the truck is more comfortable than my bed at home and I'd hate to give that up. Anyone know the dimensions of the bed and the cushions themselves? Is it necessary to do the pull-out portion in 2 sections or is one section ok?

Unless FWheel recently replaced the foam your going to hate it. Like sleeping on carpeted concrete.
Keep your truck mattress as long as it is not higher than 4 inches. There are many posts on WTW on solving the mattress issue.

Easiest replace the foam with foam that has " high bounce back and conforms to the body" . Go to your local furniture upholsterer and buy a piece of "Nymbus - Q41 foam" ......or equivalent. Not cheap though. You want "sleeping foam" .....NOT packing foam.

Review the "FWC mattress update" thread that was moved to page one. Lot of good ideas.

RC Pilot Jim said:
Unless FWheel recently replaced the foam your going to hate it. Like sleeping on carpeted concrete.
Keep your truck mattress as long as it is not higher than 4 inches. There are many posts on WTW on solving the mattress issue.

Easiest replace the foam with foam that has " high bounce back and conforms to the body" . Go to your local furniture upholsterer and buy a piece of "Nymbus - Q41 foam" ......or equivalent. Not cheap though. You want "sleeping foam" .....NOT packing foam.

Review the "FWC mattress update" thread that was moved to page one. Lot of good ideas.
Thanks! Now I get to geek out on this for a while.

I sleep on the FWC foam just fine but my wife needs a Mega Mat.

I understand they did finally upgrade the mattress. My old FWC mattress is now performing sound deadening duty in my bedroom :)

craig333 said:
I understand they did finally upgrade the mattress. My old FWC mattress is now performing sound deadening duty in my bedroom :)
Craig,

What's going on in your bedroom that requires sound insulation???

Hi folks, I'm Mike. I have a 1993 Granby on its second truck, this one a 2500HD Duramax with air bags. Include the bags and an onboard compressor for them in your calculations.

After 22 years and over three years of nights in all kinds of places in this camper, I've replaced the following:

The fabric liner three times.

The roof covering once.

Roof rafters fixed where welds broke in the front from carrying a canoe on some right nasty roads. They also welded in reinforcements on those rafters.

The refrig three times - gas/110/12 three way. A necessity, but a pain.

The furnace once with a much higher output furnace with the same battery draw.

The water pump.

The foam and upholstery.

The door after the wood rotted. The new door was quite sloppy and took clamps and spreaders to install properly.

The roof vent once but I rebuilt the first one early on and it lasted for a long time.

The front turnbuckle eyes were pulling through the plywood. I premptively replaced the with steel plates holding a new eye bolt firmly.

The radio twice.

All the interior lights twice; once with fluorescents, now with LEDs.

Two gas bottles (style no longer allowed).

Umpteen deep cycle batteries.

Using this camper for real backcountry stuff beats it up and eats batteries and applicances with bouncing and jouncing. It's a small space and feet, shoes, and stuff dings and dents cabinets and doors. Leaks and condensation lift the vinyl from the siding panels. The washboarded north road from Death Valley washboards screws right out of the cabinets. Even the awning fails in the high altitude sun. We've not replaced it because we didn't use it much anyway.

If you use this like it was originally intended, you can expect to begin to replace stuff at, maybe, the 5 - 7 year mark, batteries even sooner. It's inevitable. But, this camper is quality built and is actually worth maintaining for decades of use - not like it's stickbuilt brethern.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to write up some other four wheel camper wisdom I've picked up in all these years of skiing, paddling, hiking, and biking from my Granby.

Mike,
We are all interested in your wisdom.

Start a new post titled " 22 years using a FWCamper Grandby".........or something like that. With lots of pictures of your fixes if you have them.

X2 your comments would be appreciated. I would be specifically interested why you did not buy a new camper and have not "upgraded" to a compressor fridge

X3 Looking forward to reading " 22 years using a FWCamper Grandby"....
Along with Ramblinman I question why you have not gone to a compressor fridge.

Back
Top Bottom