Couldn't handle it any longer....

Squatch said:
Those aren't air mattresses. Those are self inflating pads. They have foam in them which provides insulation. If you read back a bit you'll see I'm currently using 2 REI 3.5" pads. Love pads. Gave up on air mattresses in the 70's!

Air mattresses are big, cheap bags of air. Way more air than your body can heat up. So you spend cold nights. Think those big things at wally world with a lighter powered inflator.
Ah, my mistake.
Still, the MSR NeoAir that I use when backpacking is JUST air too, and very warm. Also very high tech!

Vic Harder said:
Ah, my mistake.
Still, the MSR NeoAir that I use when backpacking is JUST air too, and very warm. Also very high tech!
Exactly...I also backpack using the NeoAir and it flat works as a baffled, insulating sleep pad..not cheap but, no volume when rolled up and lightweight and it really insulates...also use for my Adv motorcycle adventures....great product.

Phil

Probably work a lot better in the camper than it did when I was backpacking. Mine would inevitably wind up anywhere but underneath me :)

I am a little unclear on a few things in this thread... we have a 2000 Hawk and would LOVE to have a bit more padding in our bed. But the 2 pieces of foam are different thicknesses to create a flat sleeping surface. Are you all using the inflatables on the top or bottom of the factory foam? It would seem if we put it on top we would slide all around but if we put it underneath the factory foam we would create an uneven sleeping surface. So curious!

Mine goes on top. It is wide enough that I don't roll off of it. If I get a second V-luxe it will fill the width of the bed perfectly. I'd bet that if your bed is uneven the inflatable version might compensate for the difference. If you have a Daiso store near you they have yoga mats that are very inexpensive that could also be used to compensate for the uneven pads. The yoga mats aren't enough to make the pads comfortable. I use one on the floor under my runner rug to make it softer.

I'm gonna work on a video comparing my inflatable pads.

Took pics of my Klymit Static V (green) and Static V-luxe (red) inside my Finch.

Attachments

• 20170215_194608.jpeg
    20170215_194608.jpeg
    102.9 KB · Views: 123
  • 20170215_195001.jpeg
    20170215_195001.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 122
I have a Big Agnes bag that has the insert for the insulated pad. It's a great set up as the pad moves with you no matter how much you toss and turn. I love it when out backpacking but my problem is I don't like sleeping in a bag in the camper. A sheet and a good blanket is so much more comfortable than a bag for me. I think I'll stick with the Ikea mattress for now as mentioned in the initial post here. Sure is a lot of options out there for padding. I went out again and have now slept on it for about 9 nights. It'll do!

park said:
I have a Big Agnes bag that has the insert for the insulated pad. It's a great set up as the pad moves with you no matter how much you toss and turn. I love it when out backpacking but my problem is I don't like sleeping in a bag in the camper. A sheet and a good blanket is so much more comfortable than a bag for me. I think I'll stick with the Ikea mattress for now as mentioned in the initial post here. Sure is a lot of options out there for padding. I went out again and have now slept on it for about 9 nights. It'll do!
I like a sleeping bag. I'd probably use one at home if they were easier to clean.

Rando, we went to our local furniture upholstery shop and had the foam replaced with foam you can sleep on, I don't remember the brand. If you do this and have a camper made before 2013 (when FWC changed their foam to medium hard and height to 3 inches) have the upholsterer change the height to 3 inches to allow for bedding to remain on top when traveling.

We forgot to do this when we switched out our mattress back in 2012. We swapped out the mattress in our Flip-Pack (stock foam was used to pack instruments for shipping). That one was 3 inch's thick with no difference i firmness from the 4 inch.

I had a 2016 Hawk Shell and traded up to 2017 Hawk Front Dinette and had a 2013 Grandby loaner for a couple of weeks in between. I've loved all the factory beds as is. I have tons of nights on them too. I tend to get sore hips on too hard pads but these FWC beds work for me. I'm just giving my experience so people thinking about FWC campers know the beds work fine for at least some people.

Klymit has an ebay store and has some good deals. That is where I got my pad for 1/2 off new. It was "refurbished". Only has a blemish on the printing. They have great customer service too.

abqbw said:
I had a 2016 Hawk Shell and traded up to 2017 Hawk Front Dinette and had a 2013 Grandby loaner for a couple of weeks in between. I've loved all the factory beds as is. I have tons of nights on them too. I tend to get sore hips on too hard pads but these FWC beds work for me. I'm just giving my experience so people thinking about FWC campers know the beds work fine for at least some people.
I think 2013 was the year they changed to a softer foam. Prior to that it might as well be concrete.

I think I'm heading to the foam store today to get new pads cut for my Eagle.

I used this company and have been very happy with the results. I used their website and with in 2 weeks it was at my door. Total for foam for my grandby with 6 inches for three cushions was 272.00 with shipping. Made a huge difference and now I sleep on the longer and more comfortable bed and my six year old son sleeps above the cab.

Foam Factory Inc.
17500 23 Mile Road
Macomb, MI 48044

Back
Top Bottom