Couldn't handle it any longer....

Sorry to hear about all of your sleeping woes. Our 2008 Hallmark Guanella has an amazingly comfortable queen size bed with a moderately dense foam mattress. We sleep really well, back and neck feel great in the morning. In fact, we've even used the camper as a guest bedroom at our house and guests have been impressed. Maybe if you call Hallmark Bill will divulge his source.
We have also used an inflatable mattress over the convertible dinette bed to widen it so the kids don't fall off the edge into the aisle (we stack tupperware tubs in the aisle flush with the level of the bed cushions to create a single flat platform to set the mattress on). However, we used a cheap and fairly uncomfortable "full size" Coleman mattress that didn't fill the space and had deep dimples and slippery plastic material that tapered down at the edges. We're not using an air mattress now because the kids are doing fine sleeping on the dinette bed as designed (it's bigger than most dinette conversions) as long as we put padded tubs in the aisle to avoid a long, jarring drop if they roll out.
Eventually when the kids are big enough to need more space we intend to put them into the upper cabover bed and use the tubs to make a platform again alongside the dinette conversion and really fill the space with a comfy queen inflatable mattress. We'll sleep down there for easy exit and the kids will get the nice upper berth.

We just got our Hawk. After first night I put a 4" piece of memory foam on the top of those $#%#^&@ factory pads and a super soft topper on top of all that. I figure why go out and beat up your body then sleep on something hard. Made a world of difference!

ETAV8R said:
I just got back from 3 nights using my new Klymit insulated V-Luxe. It is the best pad to date.
And to date let me list what I've used:

USMC Isomat:1993-2000
Thermarest self inflating pad: 2000~2013
Kelty Recluse:2013
Klymit Static V:2016
Klymit Static V-Luxe Insulated:2017

Klymit also offers a double size but I think it wouldn't be enough for the width of an Eagle/Finch. Not sure about the new Swift widths but I'm pretty sure two of the V-luxe versions would fit perfectly. I use my pads on top of the FWC pads/mattress and it works great.
I just ordered the Klymit Insulated Double V.

Our 2007 ATC Cougar sleeping area is 48" x 81" (no pullout thingy). The Klymit 47" x 74" pad will be used by my wife. I toss-n-turn-kick-off-the-covers all the time, plus I have to pee a couple times during the night, so I sleep on the "couch".

We have been fighting moisture under the factory 4" foam forever.

We tried...
-Walmart camping pads
-Owens Corning Foamular Extruded Polystyrene Insulation 3/4" R-4
-some 3/4" supper scratching thing they use under boat mattresses
but, still have moisture.

If we are driving in the morning, we fight the factory mattress to the floor for better air circulation with the side emergency window open a smidgen.

If we go hiking, we put a couple of plastic coffee cans under the mattress to help with air circulation.

The Klymit will be MUCH lighter.

Flinchlock, you might conifer purchasing Marine Hyper-vent to place under the factory mattress. This allows air flow and we have never had a moisture issue. jd

longhorn1 said:
Flinchlock, you might conifer purchasing Marine Hyper-vent to place under the factory mattress. This allows air flow and we have never had a moisture issue. jd
I have that stuff but could not think of the name, I called it, "some 3/4" supper scratching thing they use under boat mattresses".

The problem with that stuff is, it scratched off almost all the thin fake oak plywood plastic finish on both sides of the bed area. I bought a piece of vinyl trim used on screen porches and used double-sided tape to hold it in place. It also pulled a lot of the carpet material on the middle area between the two sides.

We are also dealing with condensation under our sleeping pads and other places as well. The factory pad we had to remove. NO GOOD!! I asked FWC to reimburse use for money lost on those things plus disposal. Good luck with that! Anyway we bought two Exped MegaMat 10 Sleeping Pad from REI. They are light and so far we've been able to remove them quite easily to get condensation under them wiped down. The only thing we've been able to figure out with the condensation problem is to get a cloth and wipe things down.

We haven't had much issue with condensation under the mattress. On the walls and ceiling in cold weather yes. I'm thinking the 1/2" of blue rigid foam under the mattress makes a big difference. The mattress no longer sits on cold plywood.

We did use Microban Air Guard from HomeDepot. That did seem to work under the original pads that came with the camper but have not tried it with the pads we purchased from REI.

I'm wondering if I could use only my air pad and take out the foam pads. That would leave a few inches of storage. I'd guess my sleeping bags or air pads could live there in transit.

I recall someone had put a foam sheet on the outside under the cabover and made it look like it was part of the exterior.... don't remember how. I believe that was done to warm up the interior cabover which would in turn reduce condensation. Have no idea what thread that was in but I am pretty sure it was here :)

Back
Top Bottom