Couple Of New Additions

erod

hey all, haven't posted in a while...still working on the custom insulation kit but thought i would post a few of how its coming...also, acquired a yakima box which i installed today. cheers

Sweet.....what are you using for the insulation? The silver material looks like heater duct insulation.......

Looks very efficient

That should do a very good job keeping in the heat and reducing condensation. I forget, do you already have the arctic pack? Are you overlapping that a little at the edges? Also, I assume you have an over head vent. Will you do something to address that? Who picked out the colors - you or your girlfriend;)?

That should do a very good job keeping in the heat and reducing condensation. I forget, do you already have the arctic pack? Are you overlapping that a little at the edges? Also, I assume you have an over head vent. Will you do something to address that? Who picked out the colors - you or your girlfriend;)?

yea ed, the gf definately picks the colors :D, i like her taste though and she loves the camper! i don't have the arctic pack currently and the camper is old enough that it doesn't have the velcro in it so it was pretty expensive to have it installed...there is some overlap but the insulation is wrapped quite snuggly within the fabric, this is also claire's doing, she does all the sewing! we have an overhead vent, we did cut some insulation for that but will likely keep that open for ventilation...we'll see how it works. the main pieces for the pop up material are what we have left...hopefully by the end of the week! thanks guys!

oh yea, here's a pic of the material we are using...

Nice. You could throw a party in there and nobody would know:D

Looks pretty sweet Erod...can't wait to hear how well it works...you're about due for a trip report! ;)

Gone Skiing!

no recent trip reports, went down to targhee for thanksgiving but the only camping i did there was in my friends driveway! the camper has been off since thanksgiving for some modifications to the existing wiring and finishing the insulate and yakima box install. the roof is difficult to pop, almost a 2 person job. i definitely need the space though with 2 people and 2 dogs...get tired of pulling skis in and out of the camper. We have been skiing quite a bit, here's a couple pics from the last couple weeks, its been great up here so far hopefully it keeps coming. cheers!

erod,

Great to hear from you, work on the camper is lookin' good. The ski pic's are killing me, we've just gotten enough snow this past week to get things really going. Maybe 4 to 5 feet here at the house and 6 to 8 feet above 7000'. Enjoy.

How was raising the top with the Yakima box on it? Have you tried with any other load yet?

kilroy, sorry for my delay...the top is pretty heavy, almost certaintly a 2 person job. my girlfriend and i had no isues with the 2 of us though...but this was unloaded...i was able to bring it down on my own.

got some more work on the insulation done this afternoon...finished both of the sections which go in the pop-up area. turned out pretty well, however i am having trouble getting the velcro to stick to the vinyl pop-up material...possibly because it is so cold here. we are thinking of sewing the velcro to the insulation and maybe using vinyl cement to fasten the velcro to the pop-up material. any suggestions are welcome :D.

overall i am happy with the outcome...the material was inexpensive and all of my windows are covered along with the pop-up material so i feel like it will be successful in keeping at least some of the heat inside the camper...can't wait to test it out! cheers

erod:

Nice job...I like. I've got the same material insullating the windows, the rear door, and the vent, but still not sure what to use for the pop up material. I don't have the velcro up top, so am in the same boat. If you have some more detail on how you did that part, it would really help.

Say, has anyone insulated the covers for the turnbuckles? Last time i was out, I noticed a lot of coolness coming from those thin covers. True, I sometimes open these for vents....they are so versatile...

dave in seattle.

erod:

Nice job...I like. I've got the same material insullating the windows, the rear door, and the vent, but still not sure what to use for the pop up material. I don't have the velcro up top, so am in the same boat. If you have some more detail on how you did that part, it would really help.

Say, has anyone insulated the covers for the turnbuckles? Last time i was out, I noticed a lot of coolness coming from those thin covers. True, I sometimes open these for vents....they are so versatile...

dave in seattle.

dave, still haven't quite figured the velcro out...tried using industrial strength adhesive velcro but it wasn't sticking as well as i would like to the pop-up material. we are thinking of trying vinyl cement and sewing the velcro to the insulation...i'll post some pics when i get there...using the reflectix for the pop-up worked well in my opinion, i would have rather had the arctic pack however because it takes a little extra time to install but...can't have your cake and eat it to i guess :D, if i ever do replace the fabric however i will definitely be adding the arctic pack feature...

i haven't thought about the turnbuckle covers...may just cut some leftover reflectix...also the roof vent i am planning on leaving uncovered...for ventilation. thanks for looking!

Looking good. You might want to check into using heavy duty double sided tape. It seems to stick better than the adhesive that comes with most stuff. Did you clean the vinyl with alcohol before using adhesive? Pretty important to make stick.

dave, still haven't quite figured the velcro out...tried using industrial strength adhesive velcro but it wasn't sticking as well as i would like to the pop-up material.

Looking good. You might want to check into using heavy duty double sided tape. It seems to stick better than the adhesive that comes with most stuff. Did you clean the vinyl with alcohol before using adhesive? Pretty important to make stick.

kilroy...good call on cleaning the velcro...i did not but will do...thanks for the heads up!

erod,
nice work on the liner, looking good.
dave,
I've also been thinking about the access ports for awhile and I think I'm going to replace them with a hinged door with possibly some rigid insulation in the hole. Using the existing 1/8" plywood with a 3/8" overlay would then allow for weather stripping around the perimeter to block the cold air flow. I haven't really worked out all the details but it looks like the way to go. Just how to hinge and latch it and keep it clean is the trick.

"tried using industrial strength adhesive velcro but it wasn't sticking as well as i would like to the pop-up material. we are thinking of trying vinyl cement and sewing the velcro to the insulation..."

I used the same type of vinyl coated polyester that FWC uses and also found that the industrial strength adhesive velcro didn't stick as well as I had hoped. It would sometimes pull from the vinyl material even though it had been applied to new/clean material and was used in warmer weather. I used a sewing awl to sew it to the material but this was very difficult because the sticky adhesive on the velcro would stick to the needle. If I were to do it again I would use nonadhesive velcro, sew it to the vinyl and use a seam sealer.

Back
Top Bottom