CPAP in FWC

BFH4N

Hi Folks,

How many of you out there use a CPAP machine when you sleep in your camper? What machine is it and how do you power it?

Mine is an old EverRest 2. It's small and has a battery which will power it for one night, if the normal AC power fails. I have a 12-Volt adaptor for it and it draws about one amp, on average (the current varies a lot from inhale to exhale). So, that's about 8 Amp-Hours off the camper battery every night! I wonder if there is something more efficient out there.

For those who don't know, CPAP is Continuous Positive Airway Pressurization for people with sleep apnea. It's a small electric blower machine with a hose and face-mask. Most of the sleep apnea sufferers are older men.

- Bernard

Subscribed, because my wife tells me that I need to make an appointment to get a sleep study. It could explain why I've been exhausted lately, and wake up gasping for air some nights... not sure it I fall into the "older men" category quite yet, but maybe!

My previous CPAP machine (Respironics Remstar Auto) had a 12 volt input. I purchased the manufacturers 12 volt adapter cable just to be safe and used it tent camping a number of times. I remember going three nights on a 50 AH battery. I never tried for 4 nights.

My current machine is a ResMed S9 and they also make a DC adapter for it (DC to DC converter). I have added 12 volt power sockets in additional locations so I can charge stuff without burning wires or devices on the stove. Spitfire did some research on CPAP machines and found a PDF file that showed the current/amp requirements of the ResMed S9 at various settings. The link to the thread is below. (turns out the link to the power requirements on the other thread no longer works) You could also search websites like cpap.com and see if it shows some machines that can be operated on 12 volts.

Steve

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/7212-inverter-question/?hl=cpap#entry79663

Spouses are good at diagnosing Obstructive Sleep Apnea. If they go into another room to sleep because you snore too loud or they notice you stop breathing, you might consider looking into it. Or if you fall asleep at red traffic lights at intersections. :)

Lots of good info on the web.

Steve

Looks like the document I linked to is gone. My wife has been using her CPAP during our trips and it seems to work okay. As I noted in my year end review of my camper last year, if we don't get sun during the day and I don't move the batteries get low (50%) at the end of our second day. I bought a small Honda generator for those days where I don't get the batteries charged enough during the day. I used the generator last week for about an hour and it took the batteries almost to full charge.

You should go for the sleep study, Kilroy. If you are starting to be aware that you "wake up gasping for air some nights", then it's gotten pretty bad. And it's probably been going on, to a lesser degree, for a long time. Maybe I was wrong about "older" men, but what I'm sure of is that CPAP has saved my life.

- Bernard

bfh4n said:
You should go for the sleep study, Kilroy. If you are starting to be aware that you "wake up gasping for air some nights", then it's gotten pretty bad. And it's probably been going on, to a lesser degree, for a long time. Maybe I was wrong about "older" men, but what I'm sure of is that CPAP has saved my life.

- Bernard
Agreed. Thanks for the thread.

Zamp who is supplying the solar for FWC has come out with a special converter for CPPAP. However, I purchased the 12-volt adapter which came with instructions for use with or without the humidifier. There were different fuse sizes depending on whether you were using the humidifier. Terry Budd at FWC and I communicated back an forth and using the 12-volt adapter made more sense.

Bernard,

The resmed s9 and h5i heated humidifier I use draws about 4 amps, which corresponds with the info on the link spitfire provided. So the 1 amp your CPAP draws seems pretty efficient to me.

I camp a lot in cold, dry conditions so the heated humidifier, while an amp hog, is pretty much a necessity for me. I have 2 75ah deep cycle batteries (4WC installed) and plug the resmed 12v adapter into the 4WC 12v outlet. The batteries are charged with 2 100 watt solar panels-1 mounted on Yakima tracks on the roof, the other is un-mounted and can be positioned to take advantage of low sun angles. Has worked great so far.

Definitely agree that folks should check with their doc if they have OSA (obstructive sleep apnea) symptoms. Regular doc can run screening tests, and refer you to a sleep doc if indicated. Lot's of people walking around undiagnosed, I've read. CPAP works. Not trying to mix metaphors or anything, but if I go a night without for whatever reason, I feel about 20% the next day.

Here is some additional information from a friend of mine in the industry that also uses a CPAP while camping . . .

<<<

Yes I do use a CPAP. The one that I have from Respironics is designed to work with 110/220V and 12V. I do not need to use an inverter. It has a minimal power requirement of 1AH. There are many makes and models on the market with varying features. Ones that are not set up for 12V can be run from a small modified sine wave inverter, others are sensitive and require pure sine wave. Where it can become a problem for power consumption is when they have a heated humidifier, these can draw significant power.

Most manufacturers have some solution for travel, either 12V adapters or power supplies, rechargeable battery packs or in the case of mine, multi-voltage. When people ask me about power, I always ask them what their requirements are and if that includes a medical device. Generally people will reveal that they use a CPAP. When they do, I ask them for the make and model and will look up the power requirements or ask them to give me a picture of the power requirement label and then extrapolate how much reserve power they will need based upon their camping habits such as length of stay in camp, availability of shore power or solar and take it from there. When I am looking up a machine I generally go to www.cpap.com and look up the machine and see if there are any power solutions for it and if not, the power requirement.

>>>

Not sure if this will help you or not? But maybe some more food for thought as you do your research.

Good luck.

Stan

I've used a cpap (currently Resmed s9) in my 4wc for over 10 years. I have an auxiliary Optima blue-top battery (installed at purchase of the camper) that gives me 2 to 3 nights (at 15 cm H2O) before recharging. I use the converter sold by Resmed plugged into the cigarette lighter in the camper. This has worked fine (except I had to recently replace the Optima).

Back
Top Bottom