Crossing the CA border with FWC

I have crossed in to CA, USA, and Mexico with my FWC a number of times. Pets should have recent vaccinations and a health certificate from your vet. Generally Fruits and Veggies are a no no. Have your paper organized and handy. Be polite, Be respectful, and remember that you despite your citizenship that you are a guest in different country. Paper work for pets is sometimes important to get them back in to your own country. Your own customs officials may want to see vaccination papers so they know that your pooch did not pick something up on the wrong side of the border. Ditto on the car wash.

US customs searched my camper for an avocado -

This has been my experience - a smile and a friendly tone goes a long way.

After lots & lots of border crossings (at least twice year since 1970)--I don't take fruits & veg either direction. Meat is tricky. I think last I looked there was still a restriction on beef northbound (?) I think eggs and poultry is still a no-no. A relatively clean vehicle is a good idea.

My experience is the the smaller border crossings sometimes have the most anal officials. They don't get much to do, so they may just take a lot of time checking you out. Come think of it, never been hassled at the small northbound crossings, just get "Welcome home," which warms my heart. The above is also true, sometimes at least with airports in small communities. (Irrelevant to this thread, I know...)

Bear spray as noted is ok--pepper spray or other similar substances are a no-no.

Finally, and important. Visit the toilet before you cross the border. If you're held up for any length of time, you won't be allowed to use the facilities until you're cleared. I think this is true in either direction--it's only happened to me southbound and I gottoo say the combination of nerves and nature make this sort of delay unpleasant.

We spent 3 months last year touring. All I can say is Just be polite, as Canadians mostly are. I crossed over at Vermont last had no issues. Don't skip PEI if you have time. Canada has some great National and Provincial Parks. Newfoundland is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom