Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
Unleaded 87 octane at $2.19 in Forest Lake, MN. With coupons for 23¢ off, I filled for $1.96/gal this afternoon.

Paid $1.97 to fill up my wife's car tonight. How much lower. Kroger points might get under a buck next week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Wander The West mobile app

In Bismarck, ND this morning I paid $2.299/gal for 87 octane with 10% ethanol. No-ethanol 87 was also available but went for $2.749/gal. :eek:
I've never seen the side-by-side choice like this in Oregon.
Also seen on this trip but not/rarely in Oregon is 85 octane.

MarkBC said:
In Bismarck, ND this morning I paid $2.299/gal for 87 octane with 10% ethanol. No-ethanol 87 was also available but went for $2.749/gal. :eek:
I've never seen the side-by-side choice like this in Oregon.
Also seen on this trip but not/rarely in Oregon is 85 octane.
Mark have you ever used the 85 octane?
Sometimes when traveling our route to Yellowstone I come across it and have used it a tank or two.Not all stations seem to carry it.if you would.
Frank

I haven't noticed any difference but for such little usage don't know

ski3pin said:
:) time to start traveling!

unleaded is $2.85 here
We second that.
S asked where do we want to be off to,after our commitments next week.
Maybe Lassen and work our way down to Heenan for the fish.
Who knows. Maybe a stop at the Gold lake area. Hum time will tell.
Got to get out.

Frank

ski3pin said:
time to start traveling!...
Yup -- already am. :)
Yesterday I paid $2.14/gal for 87 octane in Fargo, ND, and in Minnesota it's mostly $2.15 - $2.20/gal.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Mark have you ever used the 85 octane?
Sometimes when traveling our route to Yellowstone I come across it and have used it a tank or two...I haven't noticed any difference but for such little usage don't know
I haven't used 85 on this trip -- maybe because my car is still relatively new so I'm still following what the owner's manual recommends. ;)
But I think I've put 85 in my truck a couple of times...pretty sure I have -- and I didn't notice any obvious difference.

MarkBC said:
I haven't used 85 on this trip -- maybe because my car is still relatively new so I'm still following what the owner's manual recommends. ;)
But I think I've put 85 in my truck a couple of times...pretty sure I have -- and I didn't notice any obvious difference.
Thanks,that's what I have thought.
Really can't tell the difference.
Maybe this weeks trip to Yellowstone I'll use the 87 instead.
Frank

Frank, you'll find the 85 octane for sale in areas with higher average elevation and thinner air. 85 octane burns fine in vehicles that use regular unleaded in these conditions. I use 85 octane when I see it sold.

ski3pin said:
... you'll find the 85 octane for sale in areas with higher average elevation and thinner air. 85 octane burns fine in vehicles that use regular unleaded in these conditions...
Interesting -- I didn't know that.
That explains why I saw 85 for sale across southern WY and western NE, SD & ND...but not in other places.

Thinner air at higher elevation lowers the pressure in the cylinders when the fuel mixture is compressed, therefore less tendency to knock so less octane (knock inhibitor) is needed.

Legal Disclaimer - always follow the information provided by your vehicle manufacturer :)

ski3pin said:
Thinner air at higher elevation lowers the pressure in the cylinders when the fuel mixture is compressed, therefore less tendency to knock so less octane (knock inhibitor) is needed.

Legal Disclaimer - always follow the information provided by your vehicle manufacturer :)
Thanks Ski.Good info to remember.
Like Mark said we seem to see it in those high elevation areas.
Frank

I'm seeing unleaded for $1.889/gal in Greenville, Mississippi. :O
This is the lowest price I've seen so far on my 7700-mile trip.

Friday I paid $2.01/gal at SpaceAge in Bend, the cheapest place in town -- other places in town were up to $0.20/gal higher.
Friday night I paid $2.15 at the Pilot truck stop in Klamath Falls.
Looks like it's about $2.40/gal in the Redding area.

Back
Top Bottom