Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
I went from my little Scion car @ 35mpg to my Tacoma @ 18mpg to my Tacoma + FWC @12-16mpg.
With prices going up, it does affect my travel. Mostly because there is no place I'm really excited to go camper at around here.

Tho this past weekend I did not go for a visit to friends in my hometown because it is almost $100 in gas. Boo.

klahanie said:
Metro Vancouver sets record:
$1.62/L converts to $4.78/ USG

Vancouver Gas Prices Are Now The Highest In North American History

That reminds me of the Great Canadian Rebellion of 2008 my wife and I (didn't) get caught up in.

We were in Dawson City, YT. Gas prices at the time were at record highs and were the topic of conversation everywhere. I don't remember how this came about but I remember some guy very forcefully declaring to all present that if gas prices hit $1.75 CAD a liter, the whole country would explode in rebellion.

And that same day we saw the first gas-station sign (also in Dawson City) showing their cheapest gas at $1.75 a liter. It was both funny (because of the guy) and tragic (because the Canadian dollar and US dollar were very close to par at the time).

According to my notes a visitor center clerk told us of a 'secret' unsigned gas station out of town where we paid $1.64 a liter and were happy to have saved 44 cents a gallon in our $170 bill to fill the tank.

I wonder how far off in the future are hybrid pickups. I think there is a company that converts them to hybrid but only for a large fleet order.

That reminds me ...
Yeah I'm sure rural Canada gets a kick out of big city centric news stories. Prob the same in the States. As you say it was higher 10 years ago for some folks and I see gas is now 1.89 in Norman Wells, YT (end of the Canol Trail) but who cares, "nobody" lives there.

I don't remember the near-miss rebellion, heck would think we're too polite for that. But if it's about an expanded oil pipeline to the Coast ...

Funny about the secret station. You know, that's really supposed to be for locals only, eh?. We wouldn't want any of our good neighbours to miss out on that rite of passage I seem to read about on every trip report - namely, commenting on the high prices of fuel and food when they travel thru Northern Canada :eek:.

Hey, it's all good tho ;)

edit: sp and quotes

klahanie said:
. . . Funny about the secret station. You know, that's really supposed to be for locals only, eh? . . .
Does GasBuddy or something similar work in Canada? I use GasBuddy extensively at home to find the cheapest gas and sometimes when traveling (haven't been able to train the beagle to operate it or I'd always use it).

Today: $2.49 -> $2.66 near Forest Lake, Minnesota.

Here's my experience with recent gas prices over a 6-week, 9400-mile, cross-country road trip, just completed:

Gas Prices Across Time and Space.jpg

The price of regular in Bend went up 40¢/gal over a 7-week period (first fill-up was about a week before my trip), it's at the same gas station before and after -- the Arco station that usually has the lowest prices in town.

It's a wonder they sell any gas in Needles (or Blythe), considering that it's up to a $/gal cheaper just across the Colorado R in AZ...but I bought a couple gallons in Needles because I had another 90 miles to go before days end and I didn't want the detour into AZ. I guess it's like buying gas in Bridgeport or Lee Vining -- you do it when you have to ...or when you're feeling generous. :D

MarkBC said:
I guess it's like buying gas in Bridgeport or Lee Vining -- you do it when you have to ...or when you're feeling generous. :D
$4.79 in Bridgeport and $4.39 at Whoa Nellie Mobil in Lee Vining This morning. :)

MarkBC said:
Here's my experience with recent gas prices over a 6-week, 9400-mile, cross-country road trip, just completed:

attachicon.gif
Gas Prices Across Time and Space.jpg

The price of regular in Bend went up 40¢/gal over a 7-week period (first fill-up was about a week before my trip), it's at the same gas station before and after -- the Arco station that usually has the lowest prices in town.

It's a wonder they sell any gas in Needles (or Blythe), considering that it's up to a $/gal cheaper just across the Colorado R in AZ...but I bought a couple gallons in Needles because I had another 90 miles to go before days end and I didn't want the detour into AZ. I guess it's like buying gas in Bridgeport or Lee Vining -- you do it when you have to ...or when you're feeling generous. :D
Great documentation, Mr. BC! One of the benefits of traveling for us is that gas is almost always cheaper away from home! :)

$3.57 Mobil Auburn Ca. - are the prices going up because of the New Brunswick refinery explosion?

Back
Top Bottom