Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
In Elkton, northeast Maryland (next to the border with Delaware), regular gas was $2.97/gallon a couple of days ago. And it was that price at every station I saw on the main drag in that town.
A few hundred yards away, across the border in Delaware, gas was 10-15¢/gal higher.

Sadly I was excited to see diesel drop below $5 a gallon here. Crazy its still a dollar more than gasoline.

craig333 said:
Sadly I was excited to see diesel drop below $5 a gallon here. Crazy its still a dollar more than gasoline.
Craig, I believe I saw diesel for $4.09 a gallon in Gardnerville today, the same price as regular unleaded. Head east Craig. ;)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Costco gas today 4.19,it's dropping.we might get to see gas under 4$ by the new year.
Frank
$3.75/gal at Costco in Portland today, Frank.

I'm debating on whether to head down 395 or head to the coast. No snow yet but I'm assuming night time temps along 395 are pretty chilly.

Today I paid $2.899/gal for regular in St. Marys, Georgia, next to I-95 and the Florida border.

AWG_Pics said:
$3.75/gal at Costco in Portland today, Frank.
$3.78 yesterday at Fred Meyer in Warrenton plus $1.00 off shopping credit = $2.78 net. The last time I paid under $3.00 was 2016 in Texas headed down to Big Bend.

OK this has happened to me now way too many times to be a coincidence. I can drive down the street and see gas at say $2.43, I plan on getting gas when I turn around and within hours the gas has jumped to $2.79! Not just at one station but ALL the stations. Do they get on the phone and say “Hey Joe, we are going to raise our prices. Want to join?” If they just had a tanker there topping their pumps off with new more expensive fuel I could see it but this is just out of the blue. I’m sure there is some conspiracy theory for this but does anyone have a reasonable explanation?

^^ learned the same lesson: see a good (!?) price, stop now. I have not seen stations change simultaneously but within the hour.
My guess is that they are checking the wholesale price of gas a couple of times a day and changing price accordingly, probably before rush hour or at shift change.

​What I don't understand is I can see a 40¢ price difference in a 5 mile radius of my house.

I paid $2.499 to $2.999 through November and December.

MarkBC said:
I just paid $4.099/gal for regular in Austin, NV... And I was glad to!
Julie and I always wait to fill up until we get into Nevada. Our local station remains at $4.98 a gallon regular unleaded.

Since December gas has varied between $2.59 and $2.90 at the stations I buy from in Forest Lake, MN; $2.69 today for 87 octane with 10% corn squeezins.

Couple of interesting tidbits:
Gas prices can vary by as much as 40¢ in a 7 mile radius of my house.
Price sometimes changes mid-afternoon (always up).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom