Current Spike in Gas Prices

How are gas prices affecting your travel plans?

• Makes no difference, I'm hitting the road!

Votes: 73 78.5%
  • Ouch, I'm staying close to home, shorter trips

Votes: 17 18.3%
  • My wallet is empty, no trips for me.

Votes: 3 3.2%

• Total voters
We just returned home from a long trip. Total bill for gas was approximately $950. Highest per gallon price we paid for unleaded regular was $7.39 in Furnace Creek, DVNP. The lowest was $3.19 in Tucson, AZ. Gas here at home is now under $5 a gallon - $4.99. Gas at Stovepipe Wells in DVNP is $5.09.

$2.399/gal: This is the lowest price I've paid for gas, and near the lowest I've seen.
IMG_20221218_164945.jpg
Today in Lake Charles, Louisiana

MarkBC said:
$2.399/gal: This is the lowest price I've paid for gas, and near the lowest I've seen.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20221218_164945.jpg

Today in Lake Charles, Louisiana
Wow, Mr. BC! Our gas here at home is only two bucks a gallon higher at $4.39. I never thought I'd see gas here under $5 again. An xmas present?

Diesel is still 4.99 here. My fuel issues went away when I filled up. Waiting to see if they come back when I'm down to a quarter tank again. Sure helps having a code reader. Much cheaper than the 12k the Elk Grove Dodge dealer wanted to charge me.

The Chevron station at Topaz Lake (Nevada) on 395 has diesel for $9.99 a gallon. That's what's posted on the sign board. Thank god we burn regular unleaded. :)

Diesel has steadily crept up more than the increase in gasoline. I blame the New World Order. Either that or Aliens.

9.99 a gallon? I hope that's a mistake. That's high even for Bridgeport prices.

craig333 said:
Diesel has steadily crept up more than the increase in gasoline. I blame the New World Order. Either that or Aliens.

Their posted prices for gasoline were in line with other Nevada stations. Both sides of the sign read $9.99 for diesel. It's becoming a tourist attraction. :)

craig333 said:

OK, I have to finally admit it. Diesel prices being higher than gasoline is my fault--all my fault. You see, in May 2004. after months of research and careful consideration of which of the 3 American brands of used 3/4 ton or 1 ton diesel pickups to buy, I pulled the trigger on a 2002 F350 SRW longbed Crew Cab 7.3 diesel. This after destroying one Chevy station wagon transmission and two 1/2 ton Suburban transmissions towing boats, campers, and a car hauler trailer over the preceding 15 years. Though I've tried to forget the exact numbers, I believe gasoline here in NC was around $1.75 and diesel around $1.55 at the time. That was May 2004. Within a small handful of months, the lines crossed and with one brief period of just weeks to a couple of months as the exception, diesel has been higher every day since. I did see diesel = regular unleaded at one station somewhere in the wilds of central Montana during August 2022 and I would have taken a picture of the display if not for it having been so much trouble to get whoaed down and turned around.
Oh well, I tried to do the right thing and was duly punished. I thought better fuel mileage and less expensive fuel would be good all around. Apologies to all of you fellow fuel oil burners out there on WTW. If I'd been willing to suffer through just a few more 1/2 ton gasser transmissions, none of this would have happened.

Foy

My truck is a 2004 so I have to share the blame. I'm not sure if I even got to fill up once when diesel was cheaper than gas. Back then gassers weren't great for towing but with the improvements made in gas engines now I'd probably not go diesel again. Maybe if I were towing a 40' toy hauler. Pretty sure that'll never happen. If I ever wind up towing a trailer it won't be more than an 18'er.

I dunno Foy, I still like my diesel, even with the higher prices. My truck has a bigger fuel tank stock, and I can make it much bigger with a Titan tank. The extra range is MUCH appreciated. My last gas truck was a 2002 Chev 3/4 with the 8.1L gasser, and it had a 250mile range. My current truck, 2015 Duramax 1 ton gets 1.6x better mileage and has a bigger tank, giving me a 500 mile range.

All that to say, it isn't always just about the fuel price.

Vic Harder said:
All that to say, it isn't always just about the fuel price.
Well said and agreed with. There are several very good reasons I continue to baby a 21 year old truck with just under 300,000 miles on the clock. Range and overall reliability are two of them.

Here in Bend, Oregon, the low price for regular today is about $3.50/gal... 5¢ less if you pay cash.

Yesterday I paid $2.999/gal for regular in Texas on I-10, west of Houston.
Today I paid $2.899/gal in Louisiana on I-10, just east of the Texas border.

Back
Top Bottom