Custom camper project part 1: spec and design

After starting my wood model I began to feel silly as I was thinking I had worked out most of the design details in Sketchup. However, after proceeding with the model I decided that it is a valuable exercise and it has already prmpted several adjustments.

One thing to note in the photos that was not visible in the sketchup drawings - in the front there is a tuffy box under the dinette seat. This space is going to have an outside door so that I can put my tuffy box of wood in the camper from the outside.

gallery_2_133_272353.jpg

gallery_2_133_148437.jpg

everything looks good in a design program.....I think that it is invaluable to build a mock up.....sit in it have a few beers in it and get a feel for it. I think this is a great way to go in terms of figuring out your space. Hopefully the end product have a bit more structural integrity :D

Cort
edited for horrible english

After starting my wood model I began to feel silly as I was thinking I had worked out most of the design details in Sketchup. However, after proceeding with the model I decided that it is a valuable exercise and it has already prmpted several adjustments.

Anything notable to mention you learned for the lookie loo's like me? I like the added space to get into the front dinette seat now.

I'll be doing a mock up most likely as well once I figure a couple more dimensional items out mostly out of cardboard, maybe some wood if we want to sit on some seats, etc. Pondering bed width right now, based on my 3D model its looking like 54" wide for the cab over might be the max I can do without sticking out too far past the cab.(Gonna mock that one up on our bed one of these nights as well to feel the limitations, I'm sure the wife will roll the eyes a tad! :p )

Anything notable to mention you learned for the lookie loo's like me? I like the added space to get into the front dinette seat now.

The first thing that struck me is I really dig all the extra space the flatbed format allows. The mockup has made me a lot more excited about the project.

Putting the fridge up high doesnt make sense because you can't access it with the roof down. Also the top of the fridge isn't really legit as counter space. I asked around at expo and there is a slide for 12v fridges that will allow the fridge to slide out by its width rather than the more common slide by the long axis. So I'm going to floor mount the fridge on such a slide.

More than anything the model has demonstrated that my dinette layout has plenty of room and is very comfortable - which is something I wasn't sure about.

The cabinet along the rear wall will be expanded from 16 to 18 inches wide as the model has demonstrated plenty of room for that modification.

Aaron do you know what your bed to truck roof is going to be yet? Are you planning to be have the ability to sit in the dinette with the roof down?

I'm going to have to say not likely on this one. I believe that in order for a dinette to be usable the overall height of the camper would need to be at least 6 inches taller than a comparable FWC which I don't believe would be a good compromise for a pop-up camper.

Putting the fridge up high doesnt make sense because you can't access it with the roof down. Also the top of the fridge isn't really legit as counter space. I asked around at expo and there is a slide for 12v fridges that will allow the fridge to slide out by its width rather than the more common slide by the long axis. So I'm going to floor mount the fridge on such a slide.

More than anything the model has demonstrated that my dinette layout has plenty of room and is very comfortable - which is something I wasn't sure about.

That thought has crossed my mind as well but I'm thinking about one of the new ARB's with the removable lid and would still likely have 8-12" vertical over it. Still something to stew on. I was planning to fab up a width slide if I decided to move it low and under the cabinets.

What width on your seats do you currently have and how tall are you thinking for your seat height? I was looking at 40" width that would probably be a little snug with 4 adults but should fit 2 adults (and 2 kids when needed) fine. FWC has their couch height ~17-18" to the top of cushion on mine which allows be to sit upright in the down camper fine (I have 47-48" of height in mine when down). Seats could be comfortably taller and allow more storage under them but its a balancing act in my head. I might have a few more vertical inches in mine if I end up putting a storage compartment under my cab over, in that case the dinettes could still be taller and allow upright sitting.

That thought has crossed my mind as well but I'm thinking about one of the new ARB's with the removable lid and would still likely have 8-12" vertical over it. Still something to stew on. I was planning to fab up a width slide if I decided to move it low and under the cabinets.

What width on your seats do you currently have and how tall are you thinking for your seat height? I was looking at 40" width that would probably be a little snug with 4 adults but should fit 2 adults (and 2 kids when needed) fine. FWC has their couch height ~17-18" to the top of cushion on mine which allows be to sit upright in the down camper fine (I have 47-48" of height in mine when down). Seats could be comfortably taller and allow more storage under them but its a balancing act in my head. I might have a few more vertical inches in mine if I end up putting a storage compartment under my cab over, in that case the dinettes could still be taller and allow upright sitting.

For me the height of the seat is mostly determined by my desire to store a tuffy box under it. This means that the seat is 19 inches tall without a cushion. It was comfortable at that height but I should throw a cushion on there to be sure.

I wouldn't change the height of the seats to accommodate sitting in the camper with the top down. I have little interest in using the camper with the top down and I wouldn't want to compromise storage or seat comfort (we are both tall so i want a taller seat) to achieve top-down usefulness.

Great thing about the custom build is you can suit your own priorities. :)

I wouldn't drive my seat height off the desire to sit in the camper either but if for instance 20" to top of cushion allows me to sit comfortably verse 22" would have my head brushing the top I'd be inclined to lower things (unless I was trying to fit something under the seat like you are).

DD, you thought about your mounting at all yet? I was figuring the cleanest way would be to bolt through the floor but hadn't thought a ton about placement yet. For ease the main isle way in mine (which would be about 40" width) would be the easiest area so that would likely end up in the area of 36" on center after leaving a little side clearance. That would mean the outer ~2' of the sides wouldn't be clamped down, which I'm unsure about. I could consider doing the rear set wider out (under my dinette seats) to eliminate some of that issue. However I don't know if wider mounting would be any concern for stressed in the bed deck.

DD, you thought about your mounting at all yet? I was figuring the cleanest way would be to bolt through the floor but hadn't thought a ton about placement yet. For ease the main isle way in mine (which would be about 40" width) would be the easiest area so that would likely end up in the area of 36" on center after leaving a little side clearance. That would mean the outer ~2' of the sides wouldn't be clamped down, which I'm unsure about. I could consider doing the rear set wider out (under my dinette seats) to eliminate some of that issue. However I don't know if wider mounting would be any concern for stressed in the bed deck.

Yeah right now i'm thinking the jack mounts are going to double as mounting points - what are those locking turnbuckle things called? The flat bed actually has a small lip along the sides which I like to keep the camper from shifting.

Yeah right now i'm thinking the jack mounts are going to double as mounting points - what are those locking turnbuckle things called? The flat bed actually has a small lip along the sides which I like to keep the camper from shifting.

You thinking of "fastguns"? Yeah I haven't figured out my jack mounting yet either, that had crossed my mind but I didn't know what the edge of the flatbed was like for mounting a bracket and I'd need to think about beefing up the corners some more. A lip huh? Man I really need to see about checking one of these out before I plow ahead too much farther.

You thinking of "fastguns"? Yeah I haven't figured out my jack mounting yet either, that had crossed my mind but I didn't know what the edge of the flatbed was like for mounting a bracket and I'd need to think about beefing up the corners some more. A lip huh? Man I really need to see about checking one of these out before I plow ahead too much farther.

I'll post a photo of the lip along with your other photos tomorrow (weather permitting).

I finally got around to trying to fit my freezer. I tossed everything out including the cushions. I tried a dozen different spots considering many different modifications. I found one spot that will work somewhat. I can really see now where a total redesign of the camper would make it more usable. I doubt I'll get out the sawzall and remodel mine, but I can sure see why you want to start over.

I have worked out most of the details at this point. I present to you my masterpiece of woodcrafting:

Dinette in bed mode
gallery_2_134_153696.jpg

Cabinet cutout to allow for full length bed
gallery_2_134_118781.jpg

Dinette assembled
gallery_2_133_193397.jpg

Note the fold up counter space. I have a question related to this view. The furnace can either point at the dinette as most campers have, or it can point at the entryway. I'm leaning having it point at the entry as in current FWC's, unfortunate souls sleeping in the lower bed get slow roasted by direct heat from the furnace. Anyone have opinions on the furnace placement?

gallery_2_133_167014.jpg

Is the furnace going to mount on the front cabinet? If it is, facing the entry is going to possibly freeze you in the cabover if the furnace is blowing the opposite direction.

Have you decided on a particular furnace? Even some of the smaller Atwood furnaces have two 4" side ducts that can be utilized. You could either face the furnace toward the entry and aim a couple of ducts toward the cabover, or aim the furnace at the dinette and divert some air away with the other ducts.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/heating-systems/everest-star-7900-ii-series.asp

On second thought, based on the need to vent the furnace at the back (in most cases) it would need to face the dinette. But again, with two side ducts open you can use a block off plate for the front.

That is unless you went with something like a propex heater which would give you a lot more mounting options, lower amp draw but less BTUs (may not keep you warm enough in a pop-up.

Is the furnace going to mount on the front cabinet? If it is, facing the entry is going to possibly freeze you in the cabover if the furnace is blowing the opposite direction.

Have you decided on a particular furnace? Even some of the smaller Atwood furnaces have two 4" side ducts that can be utilized. You could either face the furnace toward the entry and aim a couple of ducts toward the cabover, or aim the furnace at the dinette and divert some air away with the other ducts.
http://www.atwoodmobile.com/heating-systems/everest-star-7900-ii-series.asp

On second thought, based on the need to vent the furnace at the back (in most cases) it would need to face the dinette. But again, with two side ducts open you can use a block off plate for the front.

That is unless you went with something like a propex heater which would give you a lot more mounting options, lower amp draw but less BTUs (may not keep you warm enough in a pop-up.

My experience with furnaces in FWC is that the furnace is pumping out a lot of heat relative to the size of the camper. The entire camper gets very hot, then cold, then hot again. I don't think the direction the furnace is pointing is going to change that scenario much but I could be wrong. I do like the Propex heaters and will look into those more.

What are these diffusers you guys mentioned?

Back
Top Bottom