Custom trailers behind our campers

97grandby

I know a lot of us like our truck campers for many different reasons but being able to pull trailers is one of mine. Have any of you made or modified your trailers to better suit your needs on the road? If so, what did you do and why?

1990 Ford F-250
1997 fwc grandby

This is one of the main reasons I own a FWC.

You can tow anything you want without any real mods - no trailer extension business, etc...

I tow frequently with my camper and it works great.

I built this one with a truck bed I got used for $100. Nice for taking a four wheeler or a couple motorbikes and gear. The storage box is huge and is nice to keep gear locked up and dry.

full

full

I have been "wanting" to tow a SMALL trailer to put a sea kayak on (and a small box to hold the kayaking gear). Reason is not wanting to put the boat on top of the camper. I am a little concerned about the length (sea kayaks are 15-17 ft long). Been thinking of buying a small boat trailer and welding my own rig. Tough decision about pulling things....
Chris

Yukon said:
I have been "wanting" to tow a SMALL trailer to put a sea kayak on (and a small box to hold the kayaking gear). Reason is not wanting to put the boat on top of the camper. I am a little concerned about the length (sea kayaks are 15-17 ft long). Been thinking of buying a small boat trailer and welding my own rig. Tough decision about pulling things....
Chris
Not an argument against a trailer. but we regularly carry our 17 foot canoe on top of the camper without any problems. Just FYI. :)
IMG_1098.jpg

Thanks Takeiteasy, I like it. I just wonder if I can lift the damn thing up there? That canoe looks like it probably weighs more than a sea kayak (kayak @ ~ 50 lbs).

Chris

Yukon said:
Thanks Takeiteasy, I like it. I just wonder if I can lift the damn thing up there? That canoe looks like it probably weighs more than a sea kayak (kayak @ ~ 50 lbs).

Chris
Chris,

I have two 17' sea kayaks and had enough problems rolling [Yakima rollers] them onto my cab high shell ['05 Tundra]...no way would I consider putting them on top of my Hawk. Even if I could carrying weight up high off road is not my cup of tea...but that is a moot point since my Mariner and Polaris weight about 110 lbs total plus the other required gear you referred to...and we have a the FWC Zamp 160w panel on roof [Yakima tracks] so kayaks would need to be elevated to clear that panel and two vents...not good.

Soooo, Chris find us a reasonably priced trailer that has at least 14" wheels! Off road is our goal, but towing kayaks to the ocean on occasion and staying in the Hawk would be very nice.

Phil

I'll pile onto the kayak trailer want as well.
I've been looking trying to find a durable trailer with a locking lid that could hold two kayaks on top of the lid.
It seems that someone would make one but so far I haven't seen any.

A simple trailer for 1 or 2 kayaks or canoes would be a simple welding project. Check out the design resource pages on the Tear-drops & tiny trailers forum for how to design a trailer. Can buy the running gear from places like Redneck Trailer Supply. I would suggest NOT using typical trailer springs as they are too stiff. Source some used pick-up or Jeep springs, remove the shorter leaves to suit, and definitely add shocks.

For something with enclosed storage you're headed towards an "Expedition Trailer" which are quite popular right now. Check out the builds on both Expi Portal and IH8Mud. Some guys start with a surplus US M416 or Canadian M101 1/4ton trailers (US M101's are HUGE), build a lid with load bars and off they go. The demand for these trailers has made them expensive and hard to find. Some have had good luck from searching Craigs List for them.

In ready-built trailers Adventure Trailers is the high end stuff in this category and unlikely to fit most budgets, but that doesn't mean there aren't more reasonably priced complete trailers out there. A net-wide search should turn up more mfg's than is reasonable.

A Space Trailer would probably suit your needs. I'll be dragging one to Alaska in 12 days.

The rig in the photo is not mine, just shows that it could easily haul kayaks or whatever gear that you might have.

Attachments

• tmp_20252-Packman-800x598-1434474995.jpg
    tmp_20252-Packman-800x598-1434474995.jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 210
Yukon said:

Chris
The canoe weighs about 65#. I don't have any trouble lifting it up there, but I've been carrying canoes my whole life. Canoes are designed to be lifted and carried by one person- easier to manage than kayaks. I've had two skin-on-frame kayaks up there too. They are light- 30# max. A trailer would be slick. I've considered it but they bring another set of issues. Not arguing against it though. :)

My current project. After going full-time in the FWC, I needed a closet and some maneuver room while it's stormy outside. I'm currently in SoCal though, so not too often an issue. I do appreciate the extra storage and leaving the FWC for the real adventures with something to come back home to with all the nice-to-haves. Still a work in progress, but a fun project and generally keeping me out of trouble :)

Attachments

• IMG_7673.JPG
    IMG_7673.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 222
  • 13124738_10153059271228039_1805754251233245043_n.jpg
    13124738_10153059271228039_1805754251233245043_n.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 248
  • 13102861_10153079316193039_8440649025220756583_n.jpg
    13102861_10153079316193039_8440649025220756583_n.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 256
Excellent suggestions from everyone! Sounds like making your own trailer that completely fits needs is a good way to go. I am happy I learned to weld (used this skill to build numerous items for my truck and camper and Mig welder is not expensive)
Yukon.

I recently saw this new product from Yakima. It looks like it will store up against a wall and can be modified with all manner of expensive Yakima attachments like boxes and baskets. It too has a hefty price tag at $1800
yakima-8008106-rackandroll-66-kayak-sport-trailer.jpg

Here are a few customer pics . . .

Attachments

• trailer behind a fwc.JPG
    trailer behind a fwc.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 205
  • kayaks on a trailer.jpg
    kayaks on a trailer.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 214
  • trailer with camper # 33.jpg
    trailer with camper # 33.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Trailer with extra gear 1.JPG
    Trailer with extra gear 1.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 220
Not the bet pic but the best I have on my phone. About a 4x6 box that locks with a basket on the front and a very long tongue for tight maneuvering.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Wander The West mobile app

Attachments

• 1464734170566.jpg
    1464734170566.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 181
rfg said:
A Space Trailer would probably suit your needs. I'll be dragging one to Alaska in 12 days.
The rig in the photo is not mine, just shows that it could easily haul kayaks or whatever gear that you might have.
Rfg - I looked very closely at one of these and almost pulled the trigger on it. My concern was how it would hold up to a long trip, like going to Alaska, so I would be very interested in how your trip goes. A friend bought one and uses it to haul his kayaks locally but I'd be interested in longer tows...

If you don't mind me asking what are the specs on yours?

I tried to attach the specs for the trailer but the file was too large. Specs can be found at: http://www.spacetrailers.com/features/

I purchased the version with the extended trailer tongue and 15" wheels. Spoke with the company owner earlier this spring and he said he knew of a couple more Space Trailer owners headed to Alaska this summer.

Back
Top Bottom