Dang I am dumb

I normally do a walk around, have for years. I was in a hurry to get under way because I was late to meet with the person to shuttle my truck so I could float the river.

What works for me -- and I don't know how I got into this habit, but it's there:

Inside the camper I lower the front, I lower back (and latch the little internal slide-bolt).
Then I step out onto the bumper, reach up and latch the back-right latch. Step left across to the other end of the bumper (either after closing the door or stretching around the open door) and latch the back-left latch.
Then I jump down off the bumper and walk around the rig latching the other four.

So, for me, lowering the top and latching it are part of one operation with no gap for distraction.

Well, Mark. You have obviously found the ideal pattern. I arrived at the same procedure after finding two latches open after moving to another campground early on in having my Hawk. I always walk around the passenger side to latch the front because those were the ones I missed.

My wife tells me I have CDO. That's the same as OCD but the letters are in alphabetic order like they belong. ;)

Paul

PaulT said:
....My wife tells me I have CDO. That's the same as OCD but the letters are in alphabetic order like they belong....
I think OCD is an asset in this case -- ADHD are the letters that could spell trouble.
;)

Yes it's always a good idea to "walk around".
There are other things to check,like did I leave anything outside, the biggie did I close the roof vent.That one can be costly.
I am sure we have all done something that we slap our heads about.
Like Ski said "..we are just humans". Well a few of us might be space alien descent.Just saying.
Frank

During my walk around I always touch each of the doors for the shower access, the utility box, the water port, the grey water plug and even the water heater along with the latches. Double check the gas and the top vent and then stand and look back at the site to make sure we haven't left anything behind. Seems like I catch some error most trips that way - usually at the start before we've got our routine down again.

Alan

It was leaving from home for me, so no walk-around is normally required. Recall my having stated that the underbed storage is only accessible with the top up? Yeah.......

Latch locking carabeiner, with patented anti-rattle/anti-clank device installed:
i-KmmCjLM-M.jpg

I have a small plastic box that all my 'latch locking carabineers' are deposited in and set on the drivers seat. When the top is down and latched the box goes into the camper by the door. So far it has worked for me.

jim

idahoron said:
I drove off without latching the roof. I remembered pretty quick and I don't see any damage. Man that makes me mad.
Oh I have done that more than once.. feel like an idiot, but didn't cause any damage.

My normal walk around is usually sufficient. Unless things like extreme cold, illness or such interfere. Ya know what I do more often? I have a bad habit of leaving the keys in the door.

Oh geez, yes. I can't think how many times I've camped and got up in the morning to realise I'd had the keys in the door all night. And once I took off on a four hour walk to find I'd left the door wide open. I'm not sure I should be let out on my own...

I've heard tell that a really dumb guy once pushed up the back of the top while the front latches were still latched. Now that's really dumb because it bends the crap out of your roof... But I would never do anything that dumb.... not me... never, never, never...

This is my favorite thread ever. Now I know I'm not the only one who has done this. I haven't driven with it popped but I did forget to latch and drove a ways on a dirt road. Something even funnier I did was own my camper for a year before I realized I was supposed to use the little slide latch on the front part by the door. I kept wondering why rivets were popping out when a senior member noticed what I was doing while we were traveling through Baja.

After reading this thread I actually had a nightmare where i wrecked the-roof of my FWC by leaving the roof up while on the move - I was crushed. Very vivid.

Ramblinman said:
I do not use the side latch inside near the door - has anyone experienced any ill effects from not using it?
I must be real dumb, because I'm not sure what latch this is. For us real dumb guys can you post a picture. :)

It's the one in back to keep the lift panel from bouncing when driving. I've tried to lift my top without unlatching it. In fact, even after reading this thread, I was just in the drive doing a little trip prep and tried to raise the roof with only 5 latches undone. :eek: Fortunately it was one of the front ones and I noticed pretty quickly.

I do use the inside latch but I'm not sure if anything bad would happen if I didn't.

Thanks. I always latch that. Trtied to raise the roof once with all of the latches still latched. Wondered why it wouldn't go up. I use the complete walk around and many times have my wife follow me.

Back
Top Bottom