Dealer Gives Our Truck Away

Taku

Incident Command
Well, this is an interesting situation. Had our Tundra at the Lithia Toyota dealer in Missoula for 25K service). Apparently a driver from another dealer showed up and he took (and Lithia gave him) our truck instead of the one he was supposed to drive out of state. they did get him turned around, but will have another 150 miles on the truck and a few hours of waiting. the dealer said they would fill up the gas tank - but nothing else. Will be an interesting conversation with the dealer when we go get the truck later today.

Taku said:
Well, this is an interesting situation. Had our Tundra at the Lithia Toyota dealer in Missoula for 25K service). Apparently a driver from another dealer showed up and he took (and Lithia gave him) our truck instead of the one he was supposed to drive out of state. they did get him turned around, but will have another 150 miles on the truck and a few hours of waiting. the dealer said they would fill up the gas tank - but nothing else. Will be an interesting conversation with the dealer when we go get the truck later today.
Having grown up in the area where Lithia started, all I can say is I do my best to avoid doing business with that dealership.

No one should be that incompetent. When I take my older 05 Tundra in for service at an independent shop, the key gets a tag with my name and license plate number written on it. Also, the VIN is recorded on the work order.

It looks to me like the dealership owes a bit more than a tank of gas. It would seem that the rental rate is much higher so it is gas + mileage+ rental charge. I'm sure a judge in a court of law would agree.

One could ask the dealer how "Unauthorized Use of a Motor Vehicle" is defined and dealt with in Missoula?

Paul

How about adding a free oil change to the list(synthetic of course)

All these comments from those fortunate enough to have never made a single mistake in their entire life. Really, 150 miles, in western Montana. I don't know how often the vehicle driven but it would seem to me that that mileage could accrue rather quickly in the area. Filling the gas tank seems to me, a person that is guilty of a mistake or two, reasonable along with an apology.

Ok, so it's strange to me. How come the person picking up the truck didn't know it wasn't the their truck?

I'd ask for lifetime oil changes and an extended warranty.

At min, they should pay you for miles driven (what ever the going rate is) since you had wear and tear on the vehicle PLUS the extras.

Because it was a driver hired by the other dealership to transport a vehicle from one location to another. How much "wear and tear" can accumulate in 150 miles on vehicles that likely reach nearly 300,000 miles??????

yes it was another dealer with another "white truck with a camper". The dealer did fill the tank (no brainer) and did not charge for some extra work we had done (truck was in for the 25K warranty). plus threw in some filters so total was about $175. we took it and did not ride them too hard.

Taku said:
yes it was another dealer with another "white truck with a camper". The dealer did fill the tank (no brainer) and did not charge for some extra work we had done (truck was in for the 25K warranty). plus threw in some filters so total was about $175. we took it and did not ride them too hard.
That sounds like a win/win.
Glad all worked out.Yes we all can make mistakes.
Frank

I'd call that sort of a win win. They certainly could have done more since it was clearly on them. As is I'd certainly be hesitant to have them work on my vehicle. Look how much bad publicity they just got. If they'd have done a little more this probably wouldn't have warranted a post.

capt.don said:
Because it was a driver hired by the other dealership to transport a vehicle from one location to another. How much "wear and tear" can accumulate in 150 miles on vehicles that likely reach nearly 300,000 miles??????
I guess it depends on how it was driven, etc. You have no idea unless you had/have a dash cam or something else. I'm not sure what the going rate for mileage deductions is but even at $1/mile that's another $150. Resolution seems ok but I would have been a bit more "stubborn" :). Think about all the things that had to go wrong in this scenario. A person shows up to pick up a vehicle. Report into someone. Someone should ask for ID. Someone checks ID and hands over a set of keys (does not check vehicle or paper work to see if vehicle is correct). Person picking up vehicle jumps into vehicle. I'm assumign this vehicle has some person items in it. Person doesn't think that's strange? Person drives off... Person tries to get home as quickly as possilble (not my vehicle I'm flooring it).... I'm glad it all worked out in the end.

yep, did think about that too - but not worried since i drive it pretty easily. And the only reason we had it in the dealer is was for the last "free" warranty work at 25K. there is another shop in Missoula - called Master Tech Toyotas Only that is the go to shop for anything Toyota that we have used for years on three different trucks. Another good place in Hamilton is Rod's Auto and Align who do stellar work too. The dealer who used to be there before Lithia was as bad if not worse than what we experienced.

As long as the full tank of gas is more than the IRS federal mileage charge (.655 cents/mile), you should be appropriately "compensated" for the unplanned loan.

Back
Top Bottom