Death Valley and Saline Valley between xmas and 2018

gaylon

Hi there. I believe we will be running around DV and SV next week. Any conditions to be concerned about? Any advice is welcome - I haven't been in either in over 10 years...

Yes, driving a 4wd Tundra Pro with a Hawk. No real itinerary other than to drive around a bit, see some stars, drink some wine, and maybe soak for a while.

Inyo County is currently grading Saline Valley Road from south to the north. You should find a smooth road if you head for a soak.

gaylon said:
Hi there. I believe we will be running around DV and SV next week. Any conditions to be concerned about? Any advice is welcome - I haven't been in either in over 10 years...
we are planning similar areas for traveling in January 2018

ottorogers said:
exactly where is the hot springs area (s)???
The springs are easily identified on most maps. The trick used to be finding the turn off for Bat Rock Road. With the increase in visitation even that isn't too hard to find anymore.

If you've never been and are planning a trip it is well worth it. There are the lower springs, Palm Spring (middle) and upper springs. The upper is quite a ways from the main two areas and has no outhouse, shower, or dish washing station. The lower and Palm are man made pools fed by natural source water.

Just copy the lat and long portion, click the Google Earth looking glass icon, paste it in and hit search. It goes right to the warm springs.

Worked for me although I got dumped into the middle of some desert. ;)

I'm always amazed how tough our predecessors were. Finding places like that without complaining about too firm mattresses, or battery consumption by their fridge, poor, or no, maps, no GPS, no aerial photos, etc.

Paul

PaulT said:

I'm always amazed how tough our predecessors were. Finding places like that without complaining about too firm mattresses, or battery consumption by their fridge, poor, or no, maps, no GPS, no aerial photos, etc.

Paul
I’m obviously doing something wrong then, the coordinates that I entered into Google earth put me out in the middle of the ocean

PaulT said:

Paul
Haha - love it. Sorry to report, though, that our trip was postponed due to unavoidable family issue.... I was really looking forward to it.

ottorogers said:
i downloaded google earth, the coordinates you gave me ended up in the middle of the ocean
Perhaps you've not entered "W" in the longitude under the degrees-minutes-seconds (DMS) format, or maybe you're entering in digital format and not using the negative sign (-) in the longitude value to indicate the location is west of the Prime Meridian.

In any event, you'd be wise to have a map such as a Benchmark or a De Lorme on board before heading out there. Getting turned around out there all too often doesn't work out well.

Foy

Dawn,
What an incredible photo to view on the iPad. Standing up and moving around makes it appear as though one is in the center of a sphere looking out in every direction, including vertically. I had seen that only in Star Walk & Solar Walk before. Thanks.

Paul

Woot!

It's a pretty amazing place, with a very interesting history.

But beware : It can get REALLY windy! When I first arrived, I went to the less populated upper springs and got windied out. I moved camp to the lower. There is a shower at upper and lower - try both. The upper is pretty damn nice. So are the two lower ones.

Back
Top Bottom