Death Valley in July?

Roger

Good Evening,
I've decided to take a trip with my seven year old son to Death Valley about July 1-5, 2011. I've booked Lone Pine July 1, expect an overnight in D.V. July 2 and 2 days again in Lone Pine July 3 and 4.
Just a couple of questions?

How hard is it to get a spot at Mahogany Flat or Thorndike in the summer? Is it worth it for the cool night? Can I make it in a non 4x4?

What are the must see for a non 4x4 truck? I have good tires/wheels and a reliable truck.
Is the Race Track on or off the menu?
Is Titus on or off the menu?
Should I just ditch it and hang out in Yosemite?
How cool are the Alabama Hills and how do I get to them from Lone Pine?

My equipment is a Toyota T100 with a Ranger, see my icon.

What would you suggest?

Thanks

Roger

Roger: Where are you coming from? I was in DV a few weeks ago. Yes, it has its own beauty and I know many folks on this site love DV, but in July its going to be very, very hot and dry. You're young son may not appreciate the beauty us old farts do. I can remember my dad taking me to Pumas Eureka when I was young. I was like, are you kidding, why are we here. Now I love it. There are many places north of Lone Pine on the Eastern Sierras that are beautiful places to go in early July. Much greener and cooler. You will see a lot of water and most beautiful mountains. You can hike, fish, etc. DV, bring a lot of water, sunscreen, and a hat. Just my opinion.

Darryl

Roger, you and your son will have an enjoyable trip sticking with Darryl's advise. The eastern Sierra has so much to offer, just be aware that streams and rivers will probably be still running high with runoff from this spectacular winter snowpack this year. Save Death Valley for cooler times. The Alabama Hills are just west of Lone Pine accessible via Whitney Portal Road. It can get hot in this area (Lone Pine/Alabama Hills) in July also, but nothing like Death Valley. Consider visiting the Bristlecone Pines in the White Mountains off of highway 168 but be prepared for cool nights.

What ski3pin said. We were in Death valley in mid September 2010 and it was HOT (110 at Stovepipe Wells at 10 am). Bristlecone Pines are higher (9000' and 11000' elevation) and cooler in temperature and "wow" factor. We drove up the road to the highest elevation in a rental SUV. He might get a kick out of being up that high and being amongst 5000 year old trees, (I don't know, it has been a long time since I was a kid and our daughter is 23). Just be aware of altitude sickness and heat exhaustion. Alabama Hills have interesting rock formations where he can use his imagination to name them. There is a "Snoopy" rock, even. Old Westerns were filmed there. I don't know if you can climb the rocks but that would be fun. Hide and seek? Watch for rattlesnakes hidden in the cool of the openings. There are some neat arches there, also. Evening or mornings will be cooler as it is very warm there, also. If you fish, the lakes west of Bishop were lined with fisherman when we were there. Also, there is a road that sort of parallels 395 that goes south and up from Lone Pine that leads to a beautiful meadow. Maybe go further on 395 north up to Mono Lake and Bode, a real cool ghost town that our rental SUV did fine on. Or look for Tule Elk in the fields along 395. There is an old fish hatchery where you can feed the big fish, I think past Lone Pine but before Big Pine on the western side of 395. There was a huge mudslide there a few years ago. The brick building is surrounded by big shady trees and picnic tables which would be a nice stop during the hooter times of the day. We saw a few roadrunners there.

Yosemite will be crowded with busloads and people in a hurry to make their bucket lists. 395 is slower and you can spend more "quality" time. I am glad you are not taking him to Disneyland.

Lots of water/sunscreen/hats as Darryla said. Have a great time and make lots of memories.

Thanks for the heads up. I just changed my plans, I found a place for July 1 and 2 in Upper Sage Flat and kept the two night in Lone Pine. We might make a day trip to DV from Lone Pine, but I won't attempt to stay there overnight.
We are heading up from the bay area through Yosemite (we have the year pass). I just wanted to get into some new (to us) camping sites.

Again, Thanks!

Roger

There is an old fish hatchery where you can feed the big fish, I think past Lone Pine but before Big Pine on the western side of 395. There was a huge mudslide there a few years ago. The brick building is surrounded by big shady trees and picnic tables which would be a nice stop during the hooter times of the day. We saw a few roadrunners there.

Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery, an amazing place, must see.
At least is was before the mud slide.
Two story stone building and fish ponds.
Google it and see what's going on with it now.

Mt Whitney Fish Hatchery, an amazing place, must see.
At least is was before the mud slide.
Two story stone building and fish ponds.
Google it and see what's going on with it now.

Yes, that's the one. The building was intact and pond was fine. There were volunteers there cleaning filters and you could buy some fish food from them. I think the fish were some type of trout, native High Lake Rainbow that survive the high altitudes my husbands says, fisherman that he is. It is a very welcome respite from the heat with the big old trees and picnic tables. It is just a short drive off 395.

How hard is it to get a spot at Mahogany Flat or Thorndike in the summer? Is it worth it for the cool night? Can I make it in a non 4x4?

Roger

Roger,

As others have said, it really will be very hot in DV in July but you can find cooler camps at Mahogany Flat and Thorndike if you do decide to spend a night. You can get your rig to Thorndike with no problem but the road gets rougher and steeper after that. Depending on the current condition of the road to Mahogany Flat, my guess is you can get a 2wd truck up it. I have seen Germans in rented sedans getting up there, if that is a clue.

At Mahogany Flat there are views to the west and the east where you can see the lowest point in the US and the highest in the Lower 48. A good trail will get you up even higher, eventually above tree-line and then to the top of Telescope Peak.

I have been to Mahogany Flat four or five times and never not found a camp site.

Stew

Just an update...
The 4WC is read to go, the fridge is full and cooled off, the LPG tanks are topped off, Water is about at 1/4 tank, bait and tackle are in effect, all other supplies are accounted for and packed...

2 nights in Big Pine and 2 Nights in Lone Pine with a nice a side trip to Bodie and a day trip to DEATH VALLEY :eek: .

If you see a white T100 with a newer Ranger cruising east to Yosemite over to the 395 give me a honk or a flash!

I'll post pictures later!

Roger

If you see a white T100 with a newer Ranger cruising east to Yosemite over to the 395 give me a honk or a flash!

And if you see a white F250 SuperCab F250 with a FWC Hawk along 395 over the next 5 days it might be me! So signal me the same way!
smile.gif

And if you see a white F250 SuperCab F250 with a FWC Hawk along 395 over the next 5 days it might be me! So signal me the same way!
smile.gif

And if you see a gray Tundra with FWC Hawk, that'll be us. We're heading up 395 to explore Surprise Valley / Warner Mtns vicinity. Flash & honking welcome :D

BTW, (apologize for off-topic comment), saw a gold, smaller truck w/FWC going through Nevada City on 49 the other day. Wonder who?

Just an update...
The 4WC is read to go, the fridge is full and cooled off, the LPG tanks are topped off, Water is about at 1/4 tank, bait and tackle are in effect, all other supplies are accounted for and packed...

2 nights in Big Pine and 2 Nights in Lone Pine with a nice a side trip to Bodie and a day trip to DEATH VALLEY :eek: .

I'll post pictures later!

Roger

Roger, you gave up on camping in DV at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat, eh?

And if you see a gray Tundra with FWC Hawk, that'll be us. We're heading up 395 to explore Surprise Valley / Warner Mtns vicinity. Flash & honking welcome :D

I'll be down somewhere between Bridgeport and Mono...but maybe we'll pass when I head back up 395 to Oregon early next week...Tuesday/Wednesday-ish.

Rodger, you gave up on camping in DV at Thorndike or Mahogany Flat, eh?

We were up at the Charcoal Kilns and it was very tempting to just head up a bit more and camp, but we had our base camp in Lonepine and it was our last day. :( Next time would be a go! Taking Wildrose was pretty cool and definitely worth more time to explore. We visited what was left of Skidoo but passed on Aguereberry Point; maybe next time.

Attachments

• skidoo.JPG
    skidoo.JPG
    94.3 KB · Views: 116

Back
Top Bottom