Death Valley National Park - November 2017

ski3pin

Belay On
Site Team
RV LIFE Pro
Well it was a milestone birthday for me and it looked like making a visit to Death Valley would be appropriate. All four parts are now completed and posted to our website -

Death Valley National Park - November 2017 - Part One

Death Valley National Park - November 2017 - Part Two

Death Valley National Park - November 2017 - Part Three

Death Valley National Park - November 2017 - Part Four

We fit a lot in in just a few days. It was a grand adventure and upon returning home I actually felt four or five years younger.

As always, thanks so much for your kind responses to our tales of adventure and we hope you enjoy this one.

Nice, beautiful geology! Very cool to find Charlie’s card in there. Do you know if he stayed in the area?

Thanks again for letting us tag along!

Very nice start of the trip.
Did they actually use that "road"?
I realize it's about 100 years ago but the road couldn't have much better at that time.
doesn't look like a jeep could drive it.

Beautiful rocks,the marble sure stands out.
Thanks.
Frank

Wandering Sagebrush said:
<snip>

Very cool to find Charlie’s card in there. Do you know if he stayed in the area?
Mr. Sage, I hope Charlie took advantage of logistics he may have been able to wrangle out of the NPS and got dropped off at the top so he could hike all the way down the canyon, across the bajada, and picked up on the Saline Valley Road. The distance would be around the same as we did.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
<snip>
Did they actually use that "road"?
I realize it's about 100 years ago but the road couldn't have much better at that time.
doesn't look like a jeep could drive it.
Frank, the road was only used for a year or two and then abandoned. There are stories around about two guys who claimed to have drove it in the sixties. The fellow who left the other note in the ammo can mentioned it along the lines of drunk, crazy, or both.

All, thanks again for your kind comments. I'll work hard to make the upcoming installments worth the wait. :)

What a great hike! Cool rocks too. Hard to imagine the processes that resulted in those rock formations. Thanks for the report- looking forward to the next installments. Have a good turkey day!

Beautiful! And I loved the "what were they thinking?" But more importantly - what day is your birthday? (mine is the 10th)

Love it!
I need to hike that. Looks wonderful. Death Valley geology is amazing. Lee Flat is a nice place. Guess the new signage has even made it out there.

To be honest when going to Saline I'm one of those making dust trails. I do however slow down near other vehicles. I prefer North Pass though.

Happy Birthday Ski!

No better way to mark your entry into Super-Geezerdom than a great round of geological-genealogical hardcore hiker exploration.

It's awesome seeing all of that structure. Between nature's deep incisions by erosion and some "help" from man, the geologist really gets a 3-D picture of the folds and faults. And a skilled photographer brings it out for others to see!

Looking forward to the next installments. Many thanks for sharing!

Foy

Wow, what a beautiful place. Enjoyed hiking along with both of you. Happy B'Day Ski. You are the master of trip reports. jd

You all are so kind. We appreciate it and thank you!

ETAV8R said:
Love it!
I need to hike that. Looks wonderful. Death Valley geology is amazing. Lee Flat is a nice place. Guess the new signage has even made it out there.

To be honest when going to Saline I'm one of those making dust trails. I do however slow down near other vehicles. I prefer North Pass though.

Foy said:
Happy Birthday Ski!

No better way to mark your entry into Super-Geezerdom than a great round of geological-genealogical hardcore hiker exploration.

It's awesome seeing all of that structure. Between nature's deep incisions by erosion and some "help" from man, the geologist really gets a 3-D picture of the folds and faults. And a skilled photographer brings it out for others to see!

Looking forward to the next installments. Many thanks for sharing!

Foy

longhorn1 said:
Wow, what a beautiful place. Enjoyed hiking along with both of you. Happy B'Day Ski. You are the master of trip reports. jd

takesiteasy said:
What a great hike! Cool rocks too. Hard to imagine the processes that resulted in those rock formations. Thanks for the report- looking forward to the next installments. Have a good turkey day!
How can you not get excited about all these rocks and get to wondering about how it all came together! Happy TDay, sir!

teledork said:
Beautiful! And I loved the "what were they thinking?" But more importantly - what day is your birthday? (mine is the 10th)
We know we are all capable of doing dumb things, but it is quite the surprise on such a massive scale. My Mom always explained that I was born on Armistice Day - Nov. 11th. Happy birthday, Ms. Tele.

CougarCouple said:
Thanks to both of you for the Thanksgiving Eve Birthday story part 1. Maybe Charlie will read your blog!
HT

Russ
Russ, thanks and best wishes to you and yours for a warm and cozy Thanksgiving today.

ski3pin said:
Mr. Sage, I hope Charlie took advantage of logistics he may have been able to wrangle out of the NPS and got dropped off at the top so he could hike all the way down the canyon, across the bajada, and picked up on the Saline Valley Road. The distance would be around the same as we did.

Frank, the road was only used for a year or two and then abandoned. There are stories around about two guys who claimed to have drove it in the sixties. The fellow who left the other note in the ammo can mentioned it along the lines of drunk, crazy, or both.
Thanks Ski.I would think you would have to be all 3 to try that.
Frank

Great story as usual. Very fascinating that the cars had not been "vandalized".
The chrome on the Pontiac still looks new.I bet our cars now wouldn't stand up that well.
Except for all the "plastic" stuff.

Thanks waiting for more.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom