Death Valley National Park - November 2017

Great idea for a trip- tracking down interesting relatives. Interesting to speculate what life was like there. My Dad's family were ranchers in South Dakota before the Depression (when they lost everything in drought and severe winters). I've often thought it would be fun to try and find their ranches and see what became of them. I did track down my Grandfather's grave on one trip- that was interesting!

We too like to walk in the dark. I was just reading today about the increasing light pollution all over the world, being accelerated by the spread of LED lighting.

Thanks for your continuing report. Very fun to follow along.

The ski3pins getting lost? Had me going for a minute. Erv and dementia hit a little too close to home. I suspect this was our last family thanksgiving.

My second Michael Diggonnet book arrived yesterday. Seriously thinking maybe DV for the New Year.

craig333 said:
The ski3pins getting lost? Had me going for a minute. Erv and dementia hit a little too close to home. I suspect this was our last family thanksgiving.

My second Michael Diggonnet book arrived yesterday. Seriously thinking maybe DV for the New Year.
Which book did you get?

What a great story about Uncle Erv! And he was a Seabee! I suppose his business, Ventura Electric, may have been in Ventura, CA, close to the western home of the Seabees at Port Hueneme. Our Seabee son was stationed there or trained there twice during his career. You can rest assured that today's Seabees hold the original Seabees in the highest esteem.

Two books were written about the Seabees during WWII as part of the efforts to promote recruiting and sell war bonds. "Can Do: The Story of the Seabees", and "From Omaha to Okinawa" were written by William Bradford Huie, an older writer who enlisted and was assigned to a Seabee unit for the sole purpose of writing about them. They're both great reads. If you can find out what Naval Construction Battalion (NC:cool: Uncle Erv served with, Huie's books provide some details about the campaigns in which they fought. And fight they did. The Marines were scared to death of the Seabees, who tended to be rather trigger-happy while standing watch around their bases.

Hey, you kids weren't lost. More like what Daniel Boone once said, "No, I was never lost. I was once bewildered for three weeks, but I was never lost".

Foy

thanks for another fine report. I really like the idea of tracking down relatives. And the '46 Pontiac--that was the first vehicle I ever rode in--fetched home from the maternity hospital. Not that I remember, but my dad did keep vehicles for a long time, so I remember riding in it. Neat big old car.

I had an uncle who logged up around Aberdeen, Washington. Perhaps I should track him down one day. He was my favourite uncle.

I can't wait till the next Ski report. You two are the best. Old Injun back here says "me not lost, teepee lost". Seems to work with trucks and campers too. Happy holiday to all, Bigfoot Dave

Enjoyed your stories. By coincidence we were in Death Valley for a few days this month although in a different part of this huge area. We entered via Titus Canyon and returned home up 395. Wish we would have had more time, of course.

You two have quite a knack for picking out interesting places to explore in out of the way places. Every time I read about DV I wish I lived a bit closer.

Thanks as always for the report.

All, thanks again for the kind comments, both the Lady and I enjoy reading through them! :)

Sorry about the delay in finishing this sorry. Another adventure called..................... :)

Sorry about the delay in finishing this sorry. Another adventure called..................... :)

Well of course you've ramped it up after crossing into Super Geezerdom!

Foy said:
What a great story about Uncle Erv! And he was a Seabee! I suppose his business, Ventura Electric, may have been in Ventura, CA, close to the western home of the Seabees at Port Hueneme. Our Seabee son was stationed there or trained there twice during his career. You can rest assured that today's Seabees hold the original Seabees in the highest esteem.

Two books were written about the Seabees during WWII as part of the efforts to promote recruiting and sell war bonds. "Can Do: The Story of the Seabees", and "From Omaha to Okinawa" were written by William Bradford Huie, an older writer who enlisted and was assigned to a Seabee unit for the sole purpose of writing about them. They're both great reads. If you can find out what Naval Construction Battalion (NC:cool: Uncle Erv served with, Huie's books provide some details about the campaigns in which they fought. And fight they did. The Marines were scared to death of the Seabees, who tended to be rather trigger-happy while standing watch around their bases.

Hey, you kids weren't lost. More like what Daniel Boone once said, "No, I was never lost. I was once bewildered for three weeks, but I was never lost".

Foy
Foy, thank you again for a great information filled post. I will look into the books you mentioned. Yes, Erv was in Ventura, CA before the war. He is listed as a charter member of IBEW Union No. 952 at its formation in 1937 and its first vice-president. Erv would have been 35 years old in 1941, not a kid. I expect, with his expertise, he felt the Seabees was a good fit. I believe he owned the Ventura Electric Company after the war.

I can’t wait to get back down there, between reopenings of the Wonder Mine and Mitchell Caverns, there are always new beauties to see. The sidewinder was stunningly beautiful. Thanks for taking us with you!

I'm looking forward to finally visiting Keane for the first time. Thank you as always for your great write ups and photos.

Have you and the lady been to Mitchell Caverns? I'm sure we'd all enjoy your observations even though photography is difficult inside the caverns. It is a wonderful place to experience.

Yup, “...pretty darn wonderful.” Thanks again for sharing. I think it was 2009 when I visited that rock art site. I need to return!

Back
Top Bottom