Death Valley Ralley

I'd say 2nd to third week in January might be good dates?

If we get this many FWC/ATC 's together it will be visible from space!!

SOUNDS LIKE A BLAST!!!!!

Somebody throw a date out there!! DD?
After the Holidays at ths point I presume?

TT

The weekend of 24 Jan. sounds kinda good...a few weeks past the holiday bustle? I could prolly pull a 3 day weekend off and go the 23rd-25th. Thoughts?

Jan 24-25..OK!!
That weekend works great for us..I work 4-10hour days and Friday is a regular day off. Since the trip from Northern Ca is a bit long, can drive down on 23rd and can take the 26th off as drive-home day. Let us know where...

Third week in January looks good.

The 19th is a holiday for some people, so going that week is one less day of vacation time us working folk have to take. DD, sounds like you will have a fair amount of free time soon. Stretch the trip out to include the weekend before and after the third week of January. That way those with only weekends available can join in and those with more time can make an epic trip out of it. Just an idea.

Ted

Weekend of Jan 24.

Weekend of the Jan 24 and 25 looks pretty good to me too. Maybe a few days before or after as well.

Third weekend in Jan is Winter Fun Fest. Almost any weekend after that would work for me. I don't have any problem doing any remote areas. Truck is 4wd and if I get stuck I'll have plenty of food and beer and an excuse not to go into work.

Here's a PM I got from Edohart - looks like there are lots of options :)

Titus Canyon - it is a one way road from Nevada down hill into DV. There is an old mining town called "Lead Bottom" or something like that. Well worth the drive, but expect to pay a fee for a week's stay as you leave DV (I guess they can't collect the fee when you enter from Titus Canyon, but they can get you when you leave).

Scotty's Castle - Scotty was an old scoundrel who became friends with someone with money (the name escapes me now). It's a tourist attraction with all the usual tourist traps, but well worth the visit. I'm sure there is lots of information on the web.

Ubeheabe crater - I'm not sure of the spelling.

The road to Ubeheabe crater also leads out to "The Devil's Race Track."

If the road from the Devils Race Track to the Saline Valley is maintained (they grade it every couple of years), then it is a fun drive at the end of which you turn north on a back country by-way to head to the Saline Valley proper.

A lot the the aforementioned (and many other) locations are well documented here http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/s...highlight=race

Saline Valley - Follow the back country by-way to "Bat Rock" which has a different paint scheme every year (and may have been removed by the park service these days, the last time I was there was 6 years ago) and turn east. If you're fortunate you'll meet a few of the really old-timers like "Lizard" or "Major Tom." At the least, you'll sit in some really nice hot springs and probably meet like minded people.

Eureka Sand dunes - there is a well maintained road from hwy 168 south to the sand dunes (reportedly the highest dunes in North America, but I've heard that claim for other sand dunes). There is also a road from Saline Valley (the same road you take in from the back country by-way), which can get quit narrow in places. I've never driven all the way in a full size truck, but I did it a few times in my Toyota. There is one particularly narrow spot between rocks and boulders. I have heard a story of someone who drove a Hummer H1 through there, but he allegedly crawled one side of the Hummer up on the rock wall to make it through. It's worth checking out, but it's much closer to the Hwy 168 entrance to the Eureka Sand Dunes than from The Saline Valley side.

The north end of the back country by-way intersects with Hwy 168. Between Saline Valley and Hwy 168 is an old mine that, when I last took that route in about 8 years ago, was still a working mine, but the people were really nice and let me wonder around and take pictures (that was in my film days, so I don't have any pictures I can post, heck I can't even find them).

If you head out the south end of the back country by-way, you'll find the back road to Cerro Gordo - another mine. I've been there when it was closed and later when it was reopened. It's at something like 10,000 feet so winter travel is _not_ suggested, but if you come back through in the late spring or summer you might consider it.

Cerro Gordo is in the Inyo Mountains. Because of their altitude I consider most of the Inyo's off limits until at least late April. Again, if your coming back through the area more towards late spring (and especially mid summer) I suggest Papoose Flat, and Squaw Flat in the Inyo Mountains which are easily reached from Hwy 168, but I did the drive with my Hawk on the back of my Dodge 1/2 ton 4x4 by following a dirt road out of Independence, Calif. a brief report is here http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/s...highlight=inyo

DD if you have never been to DV you should pick a small area to explore then expand out as your time permits.

Thanks Les I'll be sure to do plenty of research before the trip. Hoping for good weather!

Warm Springs Canyon-Mengel Pass-Barker Ranch-Goller Wash

I am interested in a trip from the south into Death Valley to Warm springs Canyon over to Mengel Pass then to Barker Ranch and out through Goller Wash to Balarat and the Panamint Valley and then possibly to Saline Valley for some hotsprings action.
My question is;Has anyone out there been over Mengel Pass?I have been to Goller Wash and Barker Ranch and that is a pretty easy trip. Here is a link http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry%20Roads-2.pdf to a map showing backcountry roads in Death Valley.If any one else is interested let me know.

I am interested in a trip from the south into Death Valley to Warm springs Canyon over to Mengel Pass then to Barker Ranch and out through Goller Wash to Balarat and the Panamint Valley and then possibly to Saline Valley for some hotsprings action.
My question is;Has anyone out there been over Mengel Pass?I have been to Goller Wash and Barker Ranch and that is a pretty easy trip. Here is a link http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Backcountry%20Roads-2.pdf to a map showing backcountry roads in Death Valley.If any one else is interested let me know.

Great link Lawnmowerman, thanks.
Great link indeed!

I haven't been over Mengel pass, but I did the loop from Balarat, up Pleasant Canyon, to the south, and back down into Balarat in my Toyota once. It's not a trip I would want to do in my full size truck because of one very narrow section through which, if you drive too close to the wrong side you can fall off a 500 foot cliff :eek:. My mirrors were just about scraping the "safe" side of the mountain and it took the drivers of the other 2 vehicles which were behind me (both Toyotas ) about 30 minutes to decide to go forward, or back up a few miles. I have driven the dirt road heading east from Independence, then north through the Inyo Mountains to Hwy 168. If I knew then what I know now I may not have taken my full size truck through there, but I had a great time and only got some pin striping and slight damage to my hawk on the trail, but there were no potentially life threatening falls on that trail.

With that said, I'd be willing to check it out, though I might want to be tail end Charlie so I could chicken out if it started to look too extreme:eek:. I'd say for the purposes of a Rally we should meet somewhere else and those who wanted to take a more "determined" side trip could do so after the rally.

Here is another link that shows the area I want to go to.http://home.att.net/~tbharvey/Death_Valley_April_2006.html From what I understand the bigest issues are some rocky sections.One of the good things about wandering is that you can always turn around.
I was thinking of doing this and then maybe meeting up at a predetermined time and place with fellow wanderers for the "DV Rally"

I'm in.

Here is another link that shows the area I want to go to.http://home.att.net/~tbharvey/Death_Valley_April_2006.html From what I understand the bigest issues are some rocky sections.One of the good things about wandering is that you can always turn around.
I was thinking of doing this and then maybe meeting up at a predetermined time and place with fellow wanderers for the "DV Rally"

Count me in. Once we decide on a time and location for the rally, we can decide on a time and location for the Mengel Pass trip. I thought I was going to drive to the rally with the stock tires, but I can tell I'll have to swap them out for the bigger tires. I'm glad I received my rim from e-bay for my full size spare today!

Sometimes, going forward is less painful than turning around. Hmm, that sounds like an addition to my signature.

How long are most of you planning on going for? Three days is all I can manage. I may just have to bring my Jeep for some of the more interesting side trips.

How long are most of you planning on going for? Three days is all I can manage. I may just have to bring my Jeep for some of the more interesting side trips.

We should probably just plan 3 to 4 days of group camping & exploring.

Originally, 3 or 4 days

I originally thought of 3 or 4 days around a weekend (one or two days of vacation), but the Man's suggestion has made me think of dragging it out to a full week.

If you bring your CJ, you can be our scout!

Back
Top Bottom