Dec camping trip?

joez3

Advanced Member
I have the last week of Dec off, the last few years I have been going to Death Valley, this year I would like to try some where new this year. Any one have any suggestions for somewhere new to go? The only limiations is I want the driving time from the bay area to be at the most 12 hours, and limited snow.

Thanks,
Joe

Grand Canyon is 11 hours and 48 minutes from the bay area.

I'm going to be in Arizona for a month (January) and will make sure to visit the Grand Canyon on the way home. I've never been there in the winter....it should be spectacular.

Grand Canyon is 11 hours and 48 minutes from the bay area.

Is this the north rim or the south rim? Is the north rim open in Dec?

Is this the north rim or the south rim? Is the north rim open in Dec?

The South Rim is open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. All visitor services: camping, lodging, and restaurants are available year round. Reservations are strongly recommended during the busy summer season. Some facilities are closed during the winter.

North Rim closes mid October.

Last December, in the first camping trip in my Bobcat shell, it snowed on us in Mather campground, south rim. Cold, and more cold, without a heater, but the canyon was pretty neat with the snow. After two days of snow we moved to lower elevations and a more southern destination to warm up a bit.

How about heading up to Klamath to see one of the largest concentrations of bald eagles? Here is a link.

Thanks for the link Ted.What are the camping areas around the Klamath reserve?I know Lava Beds is there any thing else?

Frank

How about heading up to Klamath to see one of the largest concentrations of bald eagles? Here is a link.

Good call -- I did this once, years ago. Yeah, if you're not in Alaska, winter at Klamath Basin Refuge is THE time/place to see bald eagles.
We stayed in a motel in Tule Lake, so I can't offer any camping suggestions...at least, not from personal experience.

Thanks for the link Ted.What are the camping areas around the Klamath reserve?I know Lava Beds is there any thing else?

Frank, I don't have an answer to that - yet. We are planning to this over MLK weekend in January. I have only done some brief checking (Camping USA) so far and only see a KOA in Klamath Falls. Not ideal but we'll do it if we can't find anything else close. Thought about Lava Beds as well but that is awfully far if you want to get here by sunrise. I'll do some more research and let you know if I find anything.

I'll be in Saline, nice and warm soaking in the pools. You might try the KOFA National Wildlife Refuge in Arizona. I think it may be 11 hours, 59 minutes from you. A spectacular place.

Just got back from KOFA, first time there,what a neat place,will be going back next month. The weather this time yr. can't be beat.....

Frank, I don't have an answer to that - yet. We are planning to this over MLK weekend in January. I have only done some brief checking (Camping USA) so far and only see a KOA in Klamath Falls. Not ideal but we'll do it if we can't find anything else close. Thought about Lava Beds as well but that is awfully far if you want to get here by sunrise. I'll do some more research and let you know if I find anything.

Thanks Ted.That might be a good time to head there. Hope the weather will be nice.May be like it is now here on the coast now.

Frank

See "Day 2" from this TR I did last Jan/Feb. We stayed at the Lava Beds, it was great.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/index.php?/topic/4387/page__p__47727__fromsearch__1&#entry47727

Back
Top Bottom