Decision Made…. Little power help please

I am going to recommend the 2nd batt.
if you are doing a lot of winter camping, you won't have as much sun, plus you will be using more power.

Also i would just have them do it, because what they charge to purchase and install, you can't beat the price by much.

Oakleyrossi said:
You all got me thinking now. Can I mount the panel far enough forward up top that a cargo or rocket box won't cover it? I know it all adds weight to the roof but I figure the box would end of covering some of the panel. I guess have some part of the panel is Better than nothing.
You could fairly easily fit a rocket box and a panel on the roof without shading. The roof of the fleet is 6' wide, put the box on one side and the panel on the other. Then if you need solar power, remember to park with the panel side of the camper facing south (although int he middle of the day, you will get power either way as the solar angle is high). Or as you said, put the box in the back and the panel in the front, there is plenty of space for both and it is only under certain circumstances that you will get shading.

If I had to do it again, I'd get a camper without a fridge.
If just one or two people are camping, rip out the backseat of the truck (or you don't have to rip it out) and put a Yeti cooler there. The coolers are pricey, but worth it in my opinion.
I can load mine with 2 gallons of block ice and 30 12oz cold cans, and still have ice cold drinks 6 days later, and the 7th day the cans are still cool.
If I'm on an extended trip, I can usually find block ice every 5 or 6 days.
Just think of all the extra room you would have without a fridge.

PaulT said:
Your decisions make it more important that you can count on getting good charging from your truck alternator when needed. For that reason, specify 2 or 4 gauge wire for the power cables run to the camper from the truck. Along with a good Automatic Charging Relay, you should be in a good position to keep your camper power up even if you start with a single battery and single solar panel.

Paul
good point!

i agree with cwd just get the camper prewired for rooftop and portable solar, and 2g wire to the alternator try it out if you move often the solar is less needed keep in mind this is coming from a guy who has 465w of solar on his camper [emoji854]

Everyone's situation is different, of course, which is why advice differs. Here are the things that are important to you:

- Keep your wife happy,
- Want at least prewiring for roof and portable solar,
- Questioning whether to install roof solar right away because of shading: other stuff on roof, camping in trees, low sun angle in winter, etc.,
​- Wondering if second battery would make sense because of 3-way refer, furnace, hot water and some accessories,
- Rarely connected to shore power but expect to be driving every couple of days,

Some commenters question the 3-way and hot water. My wife and I ended up with them because they came with our used Hawk and are glad we have them. They draw very little electrical power since they run on propane. Your biggest draw will be the furnace blower motor. Our camper didn't come with the factory heater; I installed a catalytic propane heater that doesn't use electricity.

I agree with the comments to focus on charging from your truck's alternator. Make sure you do this right with heavy cables, etc, with a system designed and installed by someone who really knows what they're doing. You'll want to be able to fully charge the battery which may take a charge controller, too. Get help figuring out just how much of a charge you can realistically expect given the amount of driving you expect to do.

The advantage of two batteries is the same as having two tanks of propane: extended energy. You'll never kick yourself for bringing that extra tank of propane or that extra battery. Multiple batteries work best when the are the same battery and are of equal freshness. That's an argument for having a second one installed at the same time as the first.

In any event, be sure to carry an extension cord for shore power. You'll be surprised how often you stop somewhere, even for an hour or two, when you can do a quick shore power plug in. The shore power charger that comes with the camper is a good one and will help top up the batteries when ever you get a chance to use it.

Finally, relax and just go camping. Part of the fun is learning to use your batteries and your systems.

Back
Top Bottom