Deka AGM batteries

ottorogers

I have all but given up on Lithium now, way to many hassles, changes needed to be made, complications, BCM, solar controller, and 110V power charger may or may not work in my new Grandby FWC, it's all giving me a headache!!

The Grandby came with 2 Deka AGM 6V batteries, for $599, from what I can tell this is about the right price, it includes cross over cable too, so I am probably better off just buying the factory dual 6V batteries for my new Grandby. All AGM 6V are very expensive it seems, but lithium is almost double when you factor in the necessary changes and modifications to the FWC to make lithium work properly (maybe it will and maybe it won't, nobody seems to know for sure).

I hope I am not stating stuff you already know. Trying to be helpful not redundant. A reply here would be, are you doing solar?
You mention a FWC controller in your ‘lithium advise thread’, but I do not see anything about solar panels. No panels, no real need for a controller. If no Solar, to replenish your daily AGM camper battery usage, you will have to drive your truck, enough, (FWC camper install includes truck to camper battery connection) to recharge your camper batteries. Or you will need access to a generator, or Shore power, with a battery charger to replenish camper battery usage. If you go with AGM & solar panels, adequate solar & the truck should provide battery replenishment. A FWC Zamp controller works with AGM. AGM works. I needed (really wanted) less weight to camp & fish. Time will tell if lithium provides enough long term value or if it is just a premium option.
A lithium friendly controller like a Victron is needed for Lithium. Victron also works well with AGM. It can multi source & cater to your needs.
I have a Shell, so I started a Solar system from scratch. I unhooked the FWC truck battery connection because I did not want any possible voltage surges to my LiFePo4 batteries. With lithium & solar, so far, I am finding I do not need the truck, involved at all, for replenishment.

Stokeme said:
I hope I am not stating stuff you already know. Trying to be helpful not redundant. A reply here would be, are you doing solar?
You mention a FWC controller in your ‘lithium advise thread’, but I do not see anything about solar panels. No panels, no real need for a controller. If no Solar, to replenish your daily AGM camper battery usage, you will have to drive your truck, enough, (FWC camper install includes truck to camper battery connection) to recharge your camper batteries. Or you will need access to a generator, or Shore power, with a battery charger to replenish camper battery usage. If you go with AGM & solar panels, adequate solar & the truck should provide battery replenishment. A FWC Zamp controller works with AGM. AGM works. I needed (really wanted) less weight to camp & fish. Time will tell if lithium provides enough long term value or if it is just a premium option.
A lithium friendly controller like a Victron is needed for Lithium. Victron also works well with AGM. It can multi source & cater to your needs.
I have a Shell, so I started a Solar system from scratch. I unhooked the FWC truck battery connection because I did not want any possible voltage surges to my LiFePo4 batteries. With lithium & solar, so far, I am finding I do not need the truck, involved at all, for replenishment.
The ZAMP controller is supposed to work with Lithium, no need to buy a different controller I am told. We have 160 WATTS of solar, I am still looking into lithium, weight is a HUGE issue for all FWC owners with a Tundra Truck (or it should be a huge concern), I agree on disconnecting the truck connection, with 160 watts of solar and 100AH of lithium (or more) there should be no need for a connection to the trucks charging system at all, and I am told the ZAMP controller works with lithium, of course lithium needs a BMS system

As I mentioned there is some fear about voltage surges created in your truck being passed along to your Camper batteries & LiFePo4 is not good with this. Lead acid or AGM are ok with it. So I looked to see if I could still utilize my truck connection & found this:

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/sterlingpower12volt-12volt-30ampbatterytobatterycharger.aspx

I did not feel like wiring this up (recommended to be in your truck cab) & more so, did not want to spend any more money on battery crap. So, that is why I disconnected the truck, so far, so good.

Stokeme said:
As I mentioned there is some fear about voltage surges created in your truck being passed along to your Camper batteries & LiFePo4 is not good with this. Lead acid or AGM are ok with it. So I looked to see if I could still utilize my truck connection & found this:

https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/sterlingpower12volt-12volt-30ampbatterytobatterycharger.aspx

I did not feel like wiring this up (recommended to be in your truck cab) & more so, did not want to spend any more money on battery crap. So, that is why I disconnected the truck, so far, so good.
I hear you on NOT spending any more money, I am going with the AGM 6V golf cart batteries from FWC, lithium is just way to complicated, way to many things to change, and my camper is brand new, ridiculous, and expensive, and no guarantee I will not have even more issues (unproven system)

Back
Top Bottom