design flaw?

I have a 2014 Grandby with Dometic 65 liter refrigerator/freezer. The Dometic has a shelf which can be removed and reinserted at different levels to make space for different sized products in the fridge. FWC installed the fridge at a position in the camper so that the fridge door cannot be opened far enough so that the shelf can be removed, so I am stuck with the shelf in its current position. To open the fridge door far enough to pull out the shelf, I would have to remove the fridge from the cabinet and pull it out so that the fridge door clears the door frame of the camper. I'd like to mount one of those RotoPax gas cans on the back of the camper. I'll have to pull out the fridge to do this, so I can pull out the shelf at that time, but if I put the shelf back in it will still be stuck wherever I put it. I could pull it out if I could remove the fridge door but I don't know if that is possible. In a pinch I could cut the shelf to remove but of course then I would no longer have a shelf. What is really needed here is some sort of adjustable sized/collapsible shelf.

Check out the Dometic web site to see if they have a door reversal kit for your model. Perhaps, that could be a solution.

Paul

Is it a plastic coated metal wire shelf?

If yes, take a close look at one side or the other of the plastic coated metal wire shelf.

One side or the other may be bent in an arc in such a manner that the arc can be compressed by pushing the entire shelf toward that arc side and then the opposite side can be lifted up or down to get the side out of the fridge side grove it was resting in.

At least that's a very common way of moving the plastic coated metal wire shelves.

The shelf is just molded plastic - looks like clear styrene. I don't see door reversal as an option. It would make it more difficult to access the fridge inside the camper if the door opened the other way. Sooner or later I'll just remove the shelf and leave it out.

The door can be reversed. I reversed my door after delivery.

JHa6av8r said:
The door can be reversed. I reversed my door after delivery.
Can the door be popped off easily? If so, there is no need to reverse it. I can simply pop off the door whenever I want to change the shelf level.

Every small RV refrigerator that I have seen uses 2 shoulder screws as hinge pins. If you are at all handy, 5 minutes to remove and remount the door.

2020 said:
Can the door be popped off easily? If so, there is no need to reverse it. I can simply pop off the door whenever I want to change the shelf level.
As JaSAn says the door is held on by shoulder pins. You need to slide the fridge out to access the brackets that are held on by phillips head screws.

Update: The fridge shelf is indeed plastic coated metal. Today I was successful in removing it by twisting it at an odd angle. I was able to put it back in although not at the level/position I wanted. I have a degree in computer science but I can't get a shelf in and out of a fridge. Life is an adventure. I'll try playing with it some more at a later time. I have plenty of other things to work on right now to make this camper perfect.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Back
Top Bottom