Diesel Fuel

Beach

Starting to look at 3/4 ton trucks, probably a gasser, since I don't think I will drive enough miles for the diesel to pay for itself. But it got me to thinking about back country fuel stops, thus I have a question for you diesel guys. Have you ever experienced a problem finding diesel fuel in back areas. I have never had a problem finding gasoline, but have no experience with diesel.

Yes. In some smaller communities where they have a single station run electronically they'll commonly have only gasoline. Close to me Kirkwood and Markleeville are like that. Its not a problem for me as I have a 400-600 mile range, but when I'm in unfamiliar territory I'll play it safe and fuel up early just in case (except bridgeport, never that desperate). I did have a problem one time when I left town with half a tank expecting fuel where there was none and having to drive out of my way to find fuel but I don't make that mistake anymore. I also carry 5 gal on the back of the camper for emergencies but I've yet to had to use it.

Yep, quality of fuel is becoming a much more important consideration too with the modern common rail diesels. The HPFPs are very sensitive to water in the fuel, and when they go, it ain't pretty. Always try and find a station that looks like it does a lot of volume so the tanks are refreshed a lot.

I have had that sick feeling when you find out that the little town you were expecting to get fuel in doesn't have diesel (1 case it was luckily at the top of Snoqualmie Pass, easy coast all the way down to the next fueling spot. Gravity does wonders for your fuel mileage :p )

Knowing that about 20% of gas stations carry diesel makes me more aware of when to stop and have never come close to running out of fuel (knock of wood). Fuel range on my truck is 450 to 550 miles.

I've had a diesel for about 18 years and I haven't had an issue finding fuel but if I know I'm headed into the backcountry, I'll top off before getting too remote. As others have said with 400+ mile range it usually isn't an issue and I've never worried about it much. One that I think makes it less of a worry is I have a commercial card lock card (Pacific Pride). One of the local fuel suppliers will issue an account and card for diesel which is legal to self serve in Oregon unlike gasoline. You don't need to have a business to get an account and it's available to anyone that can pay a bill. In the PNW there are Pac Pride stations all over, there is an app for your smartphone or tablet to help locate stations, and my cost is usually lower (5 - 10 cents less than retail) depending on where I am. Not sure what is available or legal in other states but it might be something to look into.

I've been looking at a larger than stock fuel tank, not so much to increase range (bladder is only good for so far anyway) but to allow us to choose where we buy fuel. And to put that reserve capacity in the tank rather having to carry it separately.

Two things to remember on the road. Never pass up a potty stop, never pass up a chance for fuel. ;)

In sixteen years of running diesel, I've never had an issue finding fuel. Right now, the price in my area makes it once again, the economical way to go. Our local 76 station is selling at $2.19 cash price.

I've got a 3/4 ton GMC truck with the 6.0L gasser and sometimes wished I had a diesel for the extra range. It's got a 36 gal tank which gives a theoretical range of about 400 miles but I don't push it past 350.

Anyway, I'm a bit surprised at the ranges mentioned above, would have guessed that the diesels would have much more range.

I've looked for a bigger tank or an aux tank but don't find any. Apparently gasoline tanks are a PITA to get approved vs diesel tanks.

I've never had my water in fuel light come on. I do fuel up only at high volume places. I almost wish I had the long bed, would give me more options for additional fuel storage. As it is there is no good option for a bigger tank. Still I can get 400 miles even offroad. I've averaged 1mpg in the Jeep going over Fordyce. It actually gets better mileage than the truck on the highway (20mpg) if you're brave enough to do it.

Its nice having some range. Allowed me to save some money on my last trip by only fueling up at the larger and less expensive towns. In unknown territory though I'll start paying extra at about a half tank. Not worth the worry wondering if I'll find fuel when I need it.

I installed a 54 gal tank in my truck to extend the range. It gives me more options on when and where to buy fuel but I usually refuel between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. Running out with a mechanical injection pump is a PIA to get primed.

I'm somewhat limited on upgraded tanks. I have an extended cab short box Ford, it comes only with a 27 gallon tank. I think the gassers even have the 35. Nobody makes a larger replacement tank, not sure I would change it even if they did as they hang down so low. There is a 35 gallon on that replaced the spare, but then I have to figure out a home for the spare.

When you don't know an area, you're never sure what those little dots on the map will provide...

$$MONEY$$ ALERT$$$
Get the App on your smart phone (free!) called "Gas Buddy"... yes, "GAS BUDDY"!
Yes, I know, but they do diesel, too.
You have to be in an area that has cellular data service for it to work, which is pretty common now.
I/we just go back from a 5,300 mi round trip to Knoxville TN from central WA, and saved quite a bit on fuel.
You can see if towns have diesel, plus the price per gallon. My wife looks up the route ahead and plans the fuel stops as I drive.
For instance, west bound (then So.) between Dubois, WY and Jackson hole there was diesel at a couple stations for $3.09, but we knew ahead in Jackson (downhill-fortunately) fuel was available at $2.45. Not always this dramatic a price difference, but pretty common to save 15-30 per cents per gallon per fillip with this App.....going 5,300 miles RT, that adds up! Sometimes it is a couple blocks out of the way, but the App gives you directions to the station, so you can estimate if it is worth the bit of inconvenience.

I'm Joe CHEAP, and I love it!

Edit:spread the word, your friends will love it, too!

I've had diesel trucks for about 20 years and once you get used to the fact that not every station has it you change the way you look for fuel.
I've never had any issues finding fuel and with my long bed and larger (37 gal) tank I have 600 highway mile range unloaded.

For me the low end torque and extended range of a diesel is a slam dunk!

I've run my current diesel for going on 12 years, including 4 cross-country runs to UT, MT, NV, and ID. Never had problems finding fuel. In fact, I find that in the West, even the smaller fuel retailers sell diesel since the locals (ranchers, miners, oil and gas operations) all run diesel pickups.

I've got a 38 gallon tank and can run on the highway all day--over 500 miles, on a tank of fuel, towing our pop-up camper. Without the camper, I can count on around 650-700 miles if I'm holding cruising speed down in the low- to mid-60s, not hitting bad headwinds, and not running the A/C.

At gravel road Wander the West crusing speeds, I get terrific mileage since the low rpm torque is enough to move the truck and trailer well and it never sees over 1,200-1,500 rpm--really just a fast idle.

I do keep a 5 gallon aux diesel fuel can on board, just for those "oof" moments. Almost had to use it last weekend, when I failed to recalculate my distance traveled since last fueling and the gauge did not read correctly. I was fortunately slow-rolling downhill when the low fuel light came on and the engine started sputtering simultaneously. Whipped into a station and put 38.3 gallons into that 38 gallon tank. Gauge was reading slightly below a quarter tank and I failed to note I'd run 547 miles, nearly half of it in the Blue Ridge Mountains, nearly all of it towing the camper, since last fueling. At least I got a good read on the mpg--14.28 towing, some in the mountains, and running the A/C some. I'll take it.

Foy

Anyone have experience with "Water In Fuel" light on dash?

I have a new 2016 Denali indicating H20.

Topped of tank for alignment purposes after a lift was put on it and all was fine even after driving it 3-4 times. Went on vacation for a week and as soon as I started it upon return, bam ... wif indicator.

It has less than 4,000 miles on it and already cost me $200.00 at dealership. Is this common or even normal?

All insight on the matter is appreciated since I have a feeling this won't be the last time I'm dealing with this. :mad:

I am a new convert to diesel. The 2.8 liter Duramax with 369 lbs torque... the acceleration is phenomenal. 21 gallon tank and 30 mpg on the highway is 600 range. ( combined ave. is more like 450-500) Quiet too. I had to put a sticker inside the filler door to remind me to use diesel! I heard that can be a big problem if one forgets!

Bombsight said:
Anyone have experience with "Water In Fuel" light on dash?

I have a new 2016 Denali indicating H20.

Topped of tank for alignment purposes after a lift was put on it and all was fine even after driving it 3-4 times. Went on vacation for a week and as soon as I started it upon return, bam ... wif indicator.

It has less than 4,000 miles on it and already cost me $200.00 at dealership. Is this common or even normal?

All insight on the matter is appreciated since I have a feeling this won't be the last time I'm dealing with this. :mad:
Not sure about your Denali but my Superduty is pretty easy to drain the water catch bulb... sure would not take to a dealer :(

Never had it happen. I make it a priority to fuel up only at places that do a lot of volume to insure fresh fuel.

Back
Top Bottom